Cablevision Question - Adding Bedroom Jack (Without wires in hallway)

jn1520

Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
First, just want to say great forum. For a newbie like me, this is the perfect place. Hoping someone can help me out. Just bought a condo that we remodeled. Currently, there is only 1 cable connection (in the living room). I'm having a tech out for installation of the Triple Play in a few weeks.

Stupidly, I never had the electrician prepare a jack for the bedroom. :confused: There's no access to the "attic" in my unit, but I'm assuming there's access somewhere in the building. I have a few questions regarding this situation:

1. Can the Cablevision tech install a new jack in the bedroom? If so, how do they go about getting access to the wiring in the attic, typically? I'll be contacting my Condo Assoc. to inquire, but wanted to ask here on the forum too.

2. If this can't or won't be handled by the tech, how do I go about doing this? Do I need the electrician?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cablevision does not run wires behind the walls, the will run them along the floor boards and up and around doors. If you want it behind the walls you must call an outside electrican.

Here's an update to my situation (unfortunately, it just go more complicated). I called my condo association and supposedly they don't allow access to the area above my condo (which would be like the "attic").

If they don't allow access above and I can't get access below (because it's another unit), what are the options? Man, this is frustrating. The only thing I'm hoping is that they can run the wires from the main feed outside the building and enter under my window or something.

Thanks again for the help thus far. I'm hoping someone has a potential solution...

This is what you need:
Wireless Phone Jack System PX-211D
You find these at Lowes and Home Depot also Radio Shack and I belive Circuit City and Best Buy should solve you problem

Sorry I thought you were talking about a phone jack---If you have carpet in your unit there is usually enough room between the baseboard and the sub floor to push a wire under the baseboard where the carpet meets the wall at the baseboard,take a blunt tool and check if there is in fact enough room under the baseboard to push RG6 under

Here's an update to my situation (unfortunately, it just go more complicated). I called my condo association and supposedly they don't allow access to the area above my condo (which would be like the "attic").

How did the cables get there is the first place? Did you tell them why or did you just ask about access to the attic?

A possible solution:
Split the current cable and go out the nearest outside wall, run along the outside wall into the other room.

Running along an outside wall and then going through the wall is how many installations in unwired homes are done.

In a condo, you more then likely are not allowed to run cables on the outside of the building. Seems the only way to do this install would be to run it on the inside of the unit through the hall way.

or, to fish the wire through the walls (the building probably has metal studs, so there will be holes) and install a new wall plate.

there are many people out there who could provide such a service.

you'd have to patch and maybe re-paint some small parts of your wall, but if you're going to be there for awhile, it may be worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)