Cabling question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slump Buster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this question... I searched this forum and didn't find quite what I'm looking for. I just bought a house and moved in over the weekend. Directv came in and installed a new dish and powered switch for me but could not hook up my receiver in one of the upper bedrooms because it has rg59 cable. I still haven't found where this cable runs to in my basement (damn ceiling tiles) but I thought I'd ask two questions anyway:

1) Is rg59 cable really *that* bad? I think I tried it once and noticed some signal degradation and missing channels.

2) Are there wireless options to transmit the directv signal throughout the house? I hesitate to even ask this question as I'm pretty technical but do not ever recalls such a device.

Thanks in advance!

Slump Buster said:
I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this question... I searched this forum and didn't find quite what I'm looking for. I just bought a house and moved in over the weekend. Directv came in and installed a new dish and powered switch for me but could not hook up my receiver in one of the upper bedrooms because it has rg59 cable. I still haven't found where this cable runs to in my basement (damn ceiling tiles) but I thought I'd ask two questions anyway:

1) Is rg59 cable really *that* bad? I think I tried it once and noticed some signal degradation and missing channels.

2) Are there wireless options to transmit the directv signal throughout the house? I hesitate to even ask this question as I'm pretty technical but do not ever recalls such a device.

Thanks in advance!

RG59 loses not only voltage going but also signal coming... its a lose lose situation. They even recommend not using it from the receiver to the wall.

2. Nope sorry.

actually for number 2 you could put a receiver in the basement and hook that RG59 cable up to the coax Output and use a remote extender. the PQ would be crappy but it would get the job done.

You may getaway with using rg 59 however you risk the line burning up. The dielectric in the rg 59 can't pass voltages like 13v or 18v. The installer will IMMEDIATELY fail a QC if they use it. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)