Cabling Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChuckRock

Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Southern California
Hi,

I have a few more questions before purchasing components to get this up and running...

What is the best cable to use?
What is the maximum length a cable can be/What is the optimum length?

[I will be running a Coolsat 5000 Platinum on a Winegard 76cm (31") Dish, motorized with a SG2100 Rotor]

And a newbie Question (probably all newbie questions :) ) How do you control the motorized dish? Is it controlled from within the Coolsat, or do you need some other type of controller?

Thanks again for the help in getting this set up.

I use all solid copper 2.2GHz RG6 cable, runs of 150' and slightly above should be no problem. Of course its ALWAYS best to have as short a run as possible, make sure there are no sharp bends in the cable as its RF going through the cable, not just voltage!

One cable from the receiver to the motor then to the LNBF, the receiver controls and powers everything!

As Pete noted, RG6 is the best. If you can get quad shield, that would be a little better if you have a long run

As to how the motor works, in the menu you set it up. Check my review of the 5000 for the screen shots. There is an option where the motor would be on or off. If you have it set for on, (and once you’re set up), the receiver sends a signal to the motor to move to spot X. (X being the satellite location)

One word of advice, if you want to move the dish faster, make sure to select a channel that is Horizontal polarity. Then it sends 18 volts ot the motor versus 13. Makes those SBS6 (74W) to Galaxy 10 (123W) moves not so bad : )

Iceberg said:
There is an option where the motor would be on or off. If you have it set for on, (and once you’re set up), the receiver sends a signal to the motor to move to spot X. (X being the satellite location)
One word of advice, if you want to move the dish faster, make sure to select a channel that is Horizontal polarity. Then it sends 18 volts ot the motor versus 13. Makes those SBS6 (74W) to Galaxy 10 (123W) moves not so bad : )

Sorry, Iceberg, I'm new to this so I don't really understand all the jargon yet. Hopefully once I get a setup going, it will make more sense.

Question about your term 'Horizontal Polarity':

Does the motor move on an X and Y axis, or is it only a single plane of movement type deal?

thanks!

-Chuck

Sorry

When you set up a receiver, you can either set it for a fixed dish or a motorized dish. When you set up a motorized dish, you aim it straight south. This is your true south.
The receiver would be set up so that when you move from one satellite to another, the motor moves the dish to the new satellite. Depending on your location and the satellites location, the dish will be pointed differently. As an example, I am in Minnesota. IA6 (T6) is my true south, so when I am on that satellite, the dish is aimed straight south. But when I move to SBS6, which is at 74 degrees west (20 degrees from IA6), the motor moves and turns the dish to aim at that satellite. The Dish is aimed SE now.

As for horizontal polarity, there are 24 transponders on a satellite. Each one is either horizontal or vertical polarity (odds may be vertical and evens horizontal). Basically the receiver sends either 13 (V) or 18 (H) volts to the LNB.

When you move the dish from one satellite to another, if you use a horizontal frequency, the receiver sends 18 volts to the motor so it moves faster to the satellite : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)