Calibration of a TV

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
Perhaps, this was discussed before. I assume most tv manuals show picture modes to choose from, also tweaking here and there. Yet, a lot of people are trying to find help online regarding best calibration or buy calibration dvds. Are these dvds covering every available tv and different models? Is it worth to buy one? :rolleyes:

Perhaps, this was discussed before. I assume most tv manuals show picture modes to choose from, also tweaking here and there. Yet, a lot of people are trying to find help online regarding best calibration or buy calibration dvds. Are these dvds covering every available tv and different models? Is it worth to buy one? :rolleyes:
Are you happy with the way your TV looks? I doubt most people would even see a difference between a calibrated (especially a DIY one) TV and one out of the box.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I went to one of the expert setting sites for my Vizio. Prior to making any changes I wrote down the settings that I put into it. My settings looked better. Set your TV up the way you like the picture. Don't put your TV into the store demo mode. Colors will be saturated and bright.

Reactions: sktrus and Jim S.
Calibration is a mixed bag for most customers. A professional calibrator tunes the TV to the D64K standard which is used by filmmakers to duplicate film that you would see in a theatre. Compared to settings out of the box, D64K is very dark and soft and much different than what the average viewer wants. It's an aquired taste

A professional calibrator will tune your set to D65k and truth is the majority of customers will alter those settings as soon as the calibrator leaves your house. There is no compromise or cooperation they will almost always refuse to set to anything other than D65k

Over the years I was involved in hundreds of discussions and arguments with calibrators on the AVS forum. TVs come from the factory tuned to what the average customer wants, not some film standard developed in 1945. As a result most of these calibrators are out of business

Reactions: sktrus and TheKrell
I went to one of the expert setting sites for my Vizio. Prior to making any changes I wrote down the settings that I put into it. My settings looked better. Set your TV up the way you like the picture. Don't put your TV into the store demo mode. Colors will be saturated and bright.

The problem I had with trying to copy someone else's settings for my TV was that the manufacturer had changed the internals of the unit without changing the model number. The result wasn't just sub-optimal, it was completely ridiculous.

The problem I had with trying to copy someone else's settings for my TV was that the manufacturer had changed the internals of the unit without changing the model number. The result wasn't just sub-optimal, it was completely ridiculous.

I basically did the same thing, I googled my Sony tv model number and “calibration settings” and started experimenting with the values found on one of the main sites. Some made sense and actually made a nice improvement and others didn’t. I ended up only using the settings that made the picture look better, at least to me.

Also, there was a lot of good nontechnical explanations of what those various setting are....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand, I searched for calibration setting s for my LG 1080p and the ones I found made a marked improvement over the way I had it set. Like everything, YMMV, but it doesn't hurt to play around

I used a DVD to calibrate mine years ago. I never touched the settings again after that. It still looks great. The same DVD is used to calibrate my 5.1 sound system. I personally think it makes huge difference. That said I haven't purchased a new TV in a while. Maybe the manufacturers have gotten better at sending out TV's with acceptable presets.

Reactions: HipKat
Are you happy with the way your TV looks? I doubt most people would even see a difference between a calibrated (especially a DIY one) TV and one out of the box.
When I purchased my 7 yr old Vizio from Walmart on Thanksgiving day (the same model was $300 more at Costco), it had several picture options under Menu. So, I switched to "Football" when I watched football, soccer, golf and to "Movie" when I watched movies. In my opinion it made a big difference. Then, I found calibration suggestion for that particular model on CNET's web site. I read it, took notes, applied their suggestions. The result was GREAT. My point is make the viewing experience better if expert advice is helpful.
When I do my own trial and error I always mess it up. And too lazy to write it down original calibration.

Reactions: HipKat
Over the years I was involved in hundreds of discussions and arguments with calibrators on the AVS forum. TVs come from the factory tuned to what the average customer wants, not some film standard developed in 1945. As a result most of these calibrators are out of business
You'll get some here too. :biggrin

I have yet to see any TV come out of the box in anything other than Torch Mode. Call it Vivid, Dynamic..whatever, it is set to make the most bright, impactful a picture the set can achieve so it does not "lose" out to its competitors up against a wall in bright, fluorescence Big Box store. Whatever you do, at least take that remote one time to 'Picture' and move it to anything else. The [still too bright, too blue picture] that most people are used to is usually called "Standard" or "Just" or somesuch. At least do this!

As to calibration, you must understand that there IS a standard that is used all through the chain so that the picture you get at your end is the one they started with. And this is ALL broadcasters. Now for many reasons it can fail and you get a picture that does not conform. However, if you change your settings just to accomodate a faded movie print (for example) then you have taken yourself off the standard for everything else! Of course, TVs now have many modes that can be customized and set into memory. I use two myself. One slightly bumped if I am watching in the daytime with the sun streaming in, and another set to ISF mode I use 99% of the time. Again, set it and forget it. Then your TV is right and if something is wrong, it is wrong at the transmission and not at your end.

Now, many TVs these days have modes that are almost slap on, so I don't really suggest a professional calibration unless you are just flush with money. I still set my TV to the old SMPTE color bar and other patterns that came with my Disney WOW disc. That really IS "close enough for government work".

You'll get some here too. :biggrin

I have yet to see any TV come out of the box in anything other than Torch Mode. Call it Vivid, Dynamic..whatever, it is set to make the most bright, impactful a picture the set can achieve so it does not "lose" out to its competitors up against a wall in bright, fluorescence Big Box store. Whatever you do, at least take that remote one time to 'Picture' and move it to anything else. The [still too bright, too blue picture] that most people are used to is usually called "Standard" or "Just" or somesuch. At least do this!

As to calibration, you must understand that there IS a standard that is used all through the chain so that the picture you get at your end is the one they started with. And this is ALL broadcasters. Now for many reasons it can fail and you get a picture that does not conform. However, if you change your settings just to accomodate a faded movie print (for example) then you have taken yourself off the standard for everything else! Of course, TVs now have many modes that can be customized and set into memory. I use two myself. One slightly bumped if I am watching in the daytime with the sun streaming in, and another set to ISF mode I use 99% of the time. Again, set it and forget it. Then your TV is right and if something is wrong, it is wrong at the transmission and not at your end.

Now, many TVs these days have modes that are almost slap on, so I don't really suggest a professional calibration unless you are just flush with money. I still set my TV to the old SMPTE color bar and other patterns that came with my Disney WOW disc. That really IS "close enough for government work".
Don't disagree with you. Just saying that professional calibration is NOT what the general TV watching public wants as the picture is very dark and soft. They have done surveys on AVS (Worlds largest video site) and 80% say they modify the calibrators settings after they leave

80% say they modify the calibrators settings after they leave
Those are stupid people. (unless they saved those settings into memory)

I was calibrating old CRT sets for years using the "Video Essentials" disc. You are correct that almost everyone was puzzled at first. It was, indeed, softer and less bright but more colorful. As people (Americans? ;)) are wont to do, if you give them a choice of settings ("Sharpness"?...hell, take that to the top! "Brightness"?...run that all the way to the top too!).

I had to learn a proper picture too. Once I did, I almost choked when seeing customers sets.

So I would tell my customers to "live with it a few days". The ones that trusted me and did, would later call and thank me.

Reactions: olds403 and TRG
My calibrator did the calibartions to D65k and my Sony 77" Bravia XBR-77A9G Masters series OLED is as bright as anything. It varies with the manufacturer, series and also model number. If it's consumer grade or pro grade. Etc.

My calibrator did the calibartions to D65k and my Sony 77" Bravia XBR-77A9G Masters series OLED is as bright as anything. It varies with the manufacturer, series and also model number. If it's consumer grade or pro grade. Etc.
I won't argue your experience, but I have been involved in hundreds of threads about the results of D65K calibration and have NEVER heard a single comment that described the picture as bright. Even pro calibrators would never say D65K is bright. You can go to any theatre and the movies are tuned to D65K and they won't look "bright"

Not sure who said it above, but posted that new TV's come out of the box set to Vivid and I disagree. Everyone I see or setup for a new customer, they come out of the box set to Energy Saving, which is the preset there is

Not sure who said it above, but posted that new TV's come out of the box set to Vivid and I disagree. Everyone I see or setup for a new customer, they come out of the box set to Energy Saving, which is the preset there is

Vivid is picture mode. Energy savings is a setting that reduces brightness. Both of you are correct. Vivid is very unnatural mode but many use it because of the brightness. Energy savings setting should be turned off at once and never should be bothered with.

Reactions: eddie willers
I have used one of the most respected calibration experts in the business on several occasions. His name is Jeff Meier and I'm sure anyone that follows the calibration threads at the AVS forums has heard of him. The difference between a calibrated display and a non calibrated display is huge, however there is a caveat - screen size. I calibrate my own tvs using WOW! and other dvds and I am happy with the results. Jeff only calibrates my home theater equipment, both projector (video) and a/v receiver (audio) and it is this combination that enhances the home theater experience beyond what I could do myself.

Calibration is nothing more than accuracy of a standard. Even I tweak a couple settings beyond standard now and then depending on content. For example, I watch a lot of golf and I need a little more green push than is usually recommended. Fortunately, I have memory settings in my projector made by Jeff where a push of a button takes me to the mode I need. Another is frame interpolation which I do not like with most movies but works very well with musical features such as live operas, concerts, etc. Some others include 4K content and 3D content. All require some tweaks from "standard". Unfortunately, Jeff retired this year and no longer tours. However, his calibrations can be done remotely and anyone interested can go to his AccuCal Audio and Video website for information and pricing.

Bottom line based on my experience is that calibration is worth it in a dedicated home theater, especially an expensive one and/or when you go over 100" screen. Tvs, not so much.

Man , I am learning a lot. Thanks everybody. Some keep mentioning WOW disc. just curious. How does it work? U inser it in dvd or bluray player? Do you enter tv brand and model number and let it decide what is the best?

Reactions: KaptainRandom
I retired in 2010 and with all this "Energy Saving" crap (see 'modern' Dishwashers/Clothes Washers that don't work as well as the ones in the 1960s) that this wouldn't surprise me. But isnt 'energy saving' a setting and not a picture mode? Meaning, it can be as crappy as Vivid, but with less gain?

I have used one of the most respected calibration experts in the business on several occasions. His name is Jeff Meier and I'm sure anyone that follows the calibration threads at the AVS forums has heard of him. The difference between a calibrated display and a non calibrated display is huge, however there is a caveat - screen size. I calibrate my own tvs using WOW! and other dvds and I am happy with the results. Jeff only calibrates my home theater equipment, both projector (video) and a/v receiver (audio) and it is this combination that enhances the home theater experience beyond what I could do myself.

Calibration is nothing more than accuracy of a standard. Even I tweak a couple settings beyond standard now and then depending on content. For example, I watch a lot of golf and I need a little more green push than is usually recommended. Fortunately, I have memory settings in my projector made by Jeff where a push of a button takes me to the mode I need. Another is frame interpolation which I do not like with most movies but works very well with musical features such as live operas, concerts, etc. Some others include 4K content and 3D content. All require some tweaks from "standard". Unfortunately, Jeff retired this year and no longer tours. However, his calibrations can be done remotely and anyone interested can go to his AccuCal Audio and Video website for information and pricing.

Bottom line based on my experience is that calibration is worth it in a dedicated home theater, especially an expensive one and/or when you go over 100" screen. Tvs, not so much.
Excellent post. You pointed out both the need for a calibration "on the cheap" (discs or settings off the internet) for ALL TVs and for when a Professional setting is worthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)