Call back activated!!

owlbox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
MA
This morning I got up and found I had no satellite reception. I went into the menus and found it had recently attempted a call back and failed. I manually started a call back which completed then rebooted my box. All the satellite channels are now back. Anyway it looks like the call back is turned on. :eek:

I'm sure they'll need it for PPV, but for now? When I was first installed it was on. When the s/w was updated it went away. Now the 800# is back and it definitely tried calling out a few days ago. I have one of those phone line auto switchers for fax etc. and Voom seems to have trouble dialing out with it. When I manually started it (the second time) it succeeded. It has a retry scheme built in so not sure why it didn't succeed on its own.

Wait a sec, so if there's some trouble with the phone line, no TV for you? This is not good!

i just looked and there is a number in there now. but it does say "unsucessful" when it tried to call back on 5-16 at 7am.

Can we just drop our land-line and only connect to a phone when the unit dies every month when they try to confirm? I am just wondering if I can get the STB to dial out w/my cell phone and force a call when I see no TV.

Still lets me get rid of the land line.

I'm not convinced that my not having sat this morning had anything to do with the call back. My box, like babyj's said the call back on 5-16 was unsucessful. But everything was working last night. More likely the wife was turbo surfing and locked something up.

owlbox said:
I'm not convinced that my not having sat this morning had anything to do with the call back.
I am not convinced either! I think it was a lockup or something. I would expect to see a special message if this was a deactivation due to a failed call-back...

Neither of my boxes are hooked to a phone line and they both have an unsuccessful callback. I'll see if I still have programming when I get home.

occammd said:
Can we just drop our land-line and only connect to a phone when the unit dies every month when they try to confirm? I am just wondering if I can get the STB to dial out w/my cell phone and force a call when I see no TV.

Still lets me get rid of the land line.

How do you hook up your box to your cell phone? It'd be nice to drop the landline.

How do you hook up your box to your cell phone? It'd be nice to drop the landline.
Only some phones currently support this, and you typically have to define a certain string in call setup. These cell->landline adapters should be available for a lot more phones next year, once they ship in Bluetooth versions.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see one cell->landline adapter. CellSocket is another cell->landline adapter available for select phones. These allow you to answer all your cell calls using standard landline phones throughout your house, but you must typically press a button on the landline phone to make an outgoing call using your cell line.

The other problem with that is most modems will not work over a digital cell so unless you can force you phone to analog it won't work.

Cellsocket does not work. It requires special characters to be passed to dial, and Voom will not allow you to modify the dialout number.

That aside, I don't have mine hooked to a phone line either and they work just fine still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts