Call from audit team

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry. In this case you really don't know what you are talking about. ANI is the system the phone company uses for it's own billing and customer identification purposes. It's been around for more than 40 years and people have been trying to break it for just about as long in order to get free long distance. The current ANI system handles all signaling out of band so this is no way for an end user to block or change it unless they physically break into the phone company buildings and do some wiring changes. Incorrect or missing ANI information will simply prevent the call from going through and most likely it will trigger a phone company investigation.

Large customers, such as DISH can pay phone companies to deliver ANI information to their location. This has been an option with traditional 800 service for a very long time.

I'm afraid you're wrong, my friend. Rootsecure.net | Automated Caller ID / ANI Spoofing

I would just tell them that they are welcome to come out to the house and check it out. I would then kindly give them an option to come on out from 8-12 or 12-5, and explain that I wouldn't be able to give them an exact time or an estimate, but I would try and be home at some point between the time block that they pick. They shouldn't mind waiting 3 or 4 hrs for me to answer the door, as they are pretty used to the policy.

I've looked through my agreements and cannot find such language; please be so kind to point out where and in what document that might be.

DISH Network - Customer Agreements

(all said, I am a happy Dish customer at this point in time!)

Under 4B.

Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may choose to allow you to place additional receivers on your account. If we allow you to do so, each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver, subject to the limitations of your television equipment. All of your receivers must be located at the same residence and continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If you wish to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location, unless otherwise specifically authorized by Dish Network. You may not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

Essentially they can say that they suspected you were in violation of this term, and by refusing to verify that you were not in violoation, they would win in court. Remember they also record these calls. In court they would have a recording where they read the terms to you and your refusal to cooperate. Since all they did was cut off your extra receivers and demanded their return, you would be hard pressed to show real damages.

Maybe you should read it. This stuff does not work.

The easiest way is to get VOIP service. Then you can have multiple locations with the same phone number by using the right equipment. The ANI is not spoofed, the calls all came from the same telephone number. But, since it is VOIP you can simply have multiple boxes around the country (or Canada/Mexico) and via the internet make it look like your receivers are all sitting in Kansas.

Under 4B.

Essentially they can say that they suspected you were in violation of this term, and by refusing to verify that you were not in violoation, they would win in court. Remember they also record these calls. In court they would have a recording where they read the terms to you and your refusal to cooperate. Since all they did was cut off your extra receivers and demanded their return, you would be hard pressed to show real damages.

Not to beat a dead horse, and forgetting about possible "damages" at this point, I read nothing in 4b that gives them the right to go on a witch hunt (audit) nor, as you put it earlier: "Dish reserves the right to provide service or discontinue service with you at any point in time with or without notice or cause."

You are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty and I guess in their eyes, they think you are proven guilty if you don't do it good enough for them. Seeing that they can disconnect you for any reason as stated in customer agreement (and its been in their agreement for many years if not since the start of the company) then they can get away with it. Anybody that uses their service are bound by their terms and the way they do business even if its not right how they do it and accusing some people of things that they didnt do wrong. There is nothing we can do but vote with the wallet and give someone else our money that will not do you like that.

The easiest way is to get VOIP service. Then you can have multiple locations with the same phone number by using the right equipment. The ANI is not spoofed, the calls all came from the same telephone number. But, since it is VOIP you can simply have multiple boxes around the country (or Canada/Mexico) and via the internet make it look like your receivers are all sitting in Kansas.

Excepting the Dish modems don't get along well with VoIP.

You are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty ......

Bingo! Pressed one of my buttons. It is PRESUMED innocent until proven (found?) guilty. Your guilt was determined at the time you committed or did not commit the crime (not this Dish audit business, I'm expanding). Despite some lawyer fantasies.

I've looked through my agreements and cannot find such language; please be so kind to point out where and in what document that might be.

DISH Network - Customer Agreements

(all said, I am a happy Dish customer at this point in time!)

DHA Agreement said:
***We reserve the right to change prices, packages and programming at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment to which you have agreed. ***

I'd call dropping you a change in programming, wouldn't you?

Excepting the Dish modems don't get along well with VoIP.

When I had VoicePulse, my receiver had no issues calling out all the time. If the VOIP device uses the standard g711u codec you shouldn't have any issues if you have a decent internet connection.

I know in the past when I checked a few VOIP services, some of them used the same ANI for all their customers! I saw it a couple of times when I called some automated services that read the ANI for the phone number and not the actual caller ID.

Originally Posted by DHA Agreement ***We reserve the right to change prices, packages and programming at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment to which you have agreed. ***
I'd call dropping you a change in programming, wouldn't you?

I would not. Dropping a customer is not a change in programming. Sounds more like a statement that yes, we can change our pricing, packages and programming. As they have over the years adding and dropping channels and packages.

One thing I'd love to see the internet response team address (and maybe they have and I've missed it) is the audit team calls. It hasn't happened to me in quite a while, but reading the threads about how they operate brought back some bad memories. Rushing you from receiver to receiver and threatening you is wwaaaaayyyy over the line. I didn't quite understand why they were doing that at the time, but I realize now that they are basically accusing you of fraud! Anyway, I'd love to see the feedback on this site get back to whoever it is that leads that team and is responsible for their actions. An attitude change in that department is needed, as well as new standard operating procedures.

I too received a call from this department. Here is the letter I sent the CEO (with no reply to date) detailing the encounter and why they were losing a customer.

Dear Sir or Madam:

(Customer Account Number: XXXXXX......) On January 11th, 2011 I received a call from your Fraud department.  While the gentleman didn't identify himself as such, I knew who he was when he asked to verify software versions on my four HD DVRs.  I told him I was not available until later in the evening after returning home from my place of employment.   He then asked if there was someone else who could provide the information he was requesting.  I told him no and that he would have to wait until the evening.  I then told him I knew what department he was in, why he wanted the information, that I supported Dish Network in these efforts and then asked him to provide me times when I could reach someone in his department to whom I could provide the information.  He then highly inferred several times that this call had nothing to do with fraud and that I was mistaken.  I told him not to patronize me nor insult my intelligence and again asked him to provide times when I could reach someone in his department.  He gave me the times and, before I hung up assured him I would provide the information later in the evening; I also sought assurances from him that my service would not be disconnected.  Approximately 30 minutes after this conversation I received a call from a family member informing me that my service had been severely downgraded on three of my four TVs.  I immediately called the Fraud department.  I will not go into detail, but at every turn the individual was combative and borderline sarcastic, calling into question my honesty and integrity by telling me there was no sound justification for not providing him the information immediately. And that if I wanted my service normalized I should quit stalling and give him the information. These are my words, not his, but this is what I took away from the conversation. Once home that evening I called the department, and within ten minutes I had given the individual the information and my service was restored. My questions to you. Why were these people so rude, and why couldn’t they have waited another six hours for a “Most Valued customer?” The first two phone conversations were highly antagonistic, inflammatory, and combative, not the usual way a company treats its “Most Valued customers.”  In all three of the calls I felt that my integrity, honesty and character were being called into question. As a matter of fact, in the first two calls the gentlemen strongly inferred that I was not being honest with them; in essence they called me a liar. Again, not the way a company deals with a “Most Valued customer. As a result of this experience I will be canceling my service as soon as I can put together a suitable replacement. No company should treat a customer in this manner. I have been a subscriber since the inception of your HD service. I have never been late with a payment and have absorbed many of what I feel are unjustified fee increases, all because I felt the programming was the best around. That philosophy no longer applies. As I stated earlier, I support Dish Network’s efforts to curb subscriber fraud of this nature, but your Fraud department’s actions tells me they believe everyone is guilty until proven innocent. That is a mindset, I believe, that is instilled from the top down and I will no longer be associated with it. So....within two months you will have lost a $217.00 a month customer and the word of mouth recommendations that come with that customer. I should also mention that I filed an FCC complaint over this matter.

Wtb, your situation is what I was talking about with HD earlier. It isnt so much the call itself, it is the way they are handled.

I too received a call from this department. Here is the letter I sent the CEO (with no reply to date) detailing the encounter and why they were losing a customer.
wtb, I agree you have valid feelings. I have two questions for you though... have you canceled your service yet? And, why file a complaint with the FCC? What is Dish doing that is against regulations?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts