Call from Dish to upgrade equipment.....

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
I'm located in mid-Michigan. I own and have installed all my own equipment. Originally solid Western arc (110, 119), with a side dish pointed at 61.5. I have America's 250, Platinum, SD and HD locals, and Starz (1 year free). VIP 622 receiver.

I'm in a DEEP woods very large and tall trees, and have separate larger dishes pointing through the tree line. I had to have 6 trees removed just to get what I have, that was costly. My dishes are presently pointed at:

119, 110, 72.7, and 61.5.

My SD locals are located on 110, my HD locals presently are located on 61.5. I could remove 119, because after going through all my channels several weeks ago, the only channels presently using that sat is the Sirius or Cd channels, nothing else. Those audio channels are mirrored on 72 if I remember right. Too cold now to go out and remove the wires from the 119 sat, and it's not critical anyway.

Ok, so I get this email saying I must upgrade, or lose channels. I called Dish, and talked to the CSR. I told her what I had, and she said that I MUST have a dish pointed at 129, or I was going to lose my HD channels. There's NO WAY I can get 129 here. It's too low on the horizon, because of 95 to 100 ft trees surrounding me. It's also behind a HUGE pine tree, that would cost me about $2,000 to remove. It's that large.

Anyway, even with all the arc changes going on, I can't see any reason that I would need 129 sat. Everything that's on 129, is also going to be (or is) on either 61.5 OR 72.7, even with the arc changes, correct?

Last edited:
I'm rather surprised that they wanted you to have 129 too. But not because of any of the reasons you give. Since your HD locals are on the EA, I would have thought they would want you to be pointing there too.

I'm rather surprised that they wanted you to have 129 too. But not because of any of the reasons you give. Since your HD locals are on the EA, I would have thought they would want you to be pointing there too.

But I am pointing at the Eastern arc, with the exception of the 77 sat, and there's NOTHING presently on that sat for me, that isn't on the other sats I'm pointing at. I could put a dish up to also get that sat, and remove 119, but there's just no reason to do so. I have to keep 110 like I said, because that's where my SD locals are, and I do want to keep SD locals, along with HD locals.

As programs are distributed currently among the satellites, you are not missing anything important. Dish wants to move people to a "pure" EA or WA configuration. There have been comments about possible (future?) technical problems with "hybrid" systems such as yours.

An EA setup to 61.5, 72.7 & 77 might be better, even if you kept 110. That would be a 1000.4 dish & LNB. Probably would not gain you anything you'd notice today, but might make a difference one day. I'd hazard a guess you'll be fine as you are for a good long time. Long enough to start saving up for that 100' tower! ;)

Not only is he not missing anything important, he isn't missing anything at all. There is nothing on 77 at this time unless your locals are on it, and perhaps some international channels.

I have the same set-up, 119/110 and 61.5/72. I have top 250, HD, platinum, even some a la carte such as Euronews and I get everything I should have just as I would being on the EA. I however found there is an advantage to having part of the WA also. When others did not have PPV HD for awhile recently I couldn't figure out why I did. I finally realized when they went missing from the EA, they came back from the WA. Works as a great back-up.
In my case I have the WA still because of distants, but will keep them even if I don't.

Hi primestar31, if you could PM me your account or phone#, I would like to take a look at your account to be sure you are not in jeopardy of losing any channels in the future. Thank you!

I got an email today from Dish claiming that they sent me a letter asking me to call them regarding my service. I never received any letter so I thought that something about the email seemed funny. The email stated that I was in jeopardy of losing some of my HD channels if I did not upgrade my equipment. Unlike the original poster, I am in northern NJ. I guess this email is legit? I already have 2 dishes on my roof.

I got an email today from Dish claiming that they sent me a letter asking me to call them regarding my service. I never received any letter so I thought that something about the email seemed funny. The email stated that I was in jeopardy of losing some of my HD channels if I did not upgrade my equipment. Unlike the original poster, I am in northern NJ. I guess this email is legit? I already have 2 dishes on my roof.
If you would like to PM your account/phone#, I can take a look at the account and advise you. Thank you!

Last edited:
milleruszk said:

I got the email too. It is legit. You probably have 2 dishes. One pointing to (110, 119) and the other to 61.5. And/or you probably have a 625 dual receiver.

I received that e-mail yesterday too. I'm on EA with a VIP722. I looked at my channel lineup this morning and was missing Euronews. I did a check switch test and the first screen that came up after the test was the looking at 61.5 satellite screen. I now have Euronews back in the channel lineup.

All PM's have been responded to. Glad to help you all out. Let me know if still have any questions on any of the information I send. Everyone have an awesome day!!

Mary I received a email as well regard upgrade of my equipment. Code WHUP615 my question is that I currently have a 211 and 222 receivers my dishes are aimed at 110/119/61.5 so I'm assume my upgrade would just be switching over to the Eastern Arc dish. Hows does this affect my Burlington VT locals which are on I believe 110 or 119 satellite. I know the Local HD channels are on 61.5 but I tend to watch my locals in SD as I still have analog sets. I don't want to lose my Burlington SD locals.

Also what is this fine print in the email that a credit card is required for this "no charge" upgrade?? I've been a customer since 1998.

Thank you
Bob

All PM's have been responded to. Glad to help you all out. Let me know if still have any questions on any of the information I send. Everyone have an awesome day!!