Call from the Audit Department.... what's next?

NightRyder said:
Rules are only effective if a. the people subject to them find them reasonable and b. they are enforceable. This ones fails on both counts.

Plus:

I've never received any written notice from Dish of a policy change, so it must not be that impotent to them. ...
Speaking of "impotent." (sic):rolleyes:
Actually, rules are only effective if people are honorable. :cool:

Stargazer said:
They have mobile hardware such as those domes you put on a vehicle roof that tracks the satellite while you are driving down the road. ...
And Dish has a Contract provision for RV's and long-haulers. Don't try to rationalize cheating without receiving comments.:rolleyes:

ronjohn said:
...Why should I have to read numbers from a receiver that is not active? ...
Doh. They don't ask for data from not-subscribed receivers.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it but I'm still not clear on one senerio.

Main home & account in central Vt (Burlington DMA).
Weekend vacation home in southern NH (Boston DMA).
No hardline phone at vacation home, just use cell phone (which by the way has NH area code).

Now at the main account I have a 622 & a 942 with the HD Platium + Supers + NY SD DNS.

If I want to take my 622 to the vacation home on weekends, Dish wants me to pay for a 2nd account there, right? So I go with the cheapest HD pack with Boston LiLs (including HD). The 622 still goes back to Vt durning week and would be hooked to hardline phone while there.

Would this receiver be able to get the Boston LiLs full time, even in Vt?

Would it pass an audit?

The whole thing is lame. Do you really think this process finds all the people stealing signals from their friends? C'mon...

Saying you can't have your service when you go on vacation is like the RIAA saying you need to buy 2 versions of the same song if you want to listen to it in two different places, because there's a chance you MAY be doing something illegal.

The whole audit process is lame and ineffective...

Purogamer said:
The whole thing is lame. Do you really think this process finds all the people stealing signals from their friends? C'mon... ...
Not any more than catching criminals and punishing them stops all similar crimes. That doesn't mean that we should stop enforcing the rule/law..:rolleyes:

SaltiDawg said:
No they don't.:rolleyes:

They do not ask about unsubbed receivers i have 2 dish 508s a dish 510 plus 2 dish 301s and a Dish 1000 receiver they never asked a word about them.

Man i need to sell some old receivers ;)

SaltiDawg said:
And Dish has a Contract provision for RV's and long-haulers. Don't try to rationalize cheating without receiving comments.:rolleyes:

I am not trying to rationalize cheating in any way. :rolleyes: I am just stating that they do make things that allow you to travel with your dish. They make tripods, have mobile accounts, rv exemptions, etc. Charlie Ergen said himself a while back on a Consumer Charlie Chat that it was ok to take a receiver to a second home that you may have like a vacation home and then bring it back when you come back. I realize that they do have rules and that some may have changed to be more stern about travelling with your dish.

SaltiDawg said:
Doh. They don't ask for data from not-subscribed receivers.:rolleyes:

YES THEY DO ask for location id's from nonsubbed receivers? They locked my account last year because they wanted the location ID from two receivers that were deactivated but still showed up on the account from where it was on there before. I called them up angry and demanded them to unlock it and they did. They turned none of the receivers that I had active off because I read off the correct location ID's to them. Others are saying the same thing.

Purogamer said:
The whole thing is lame. Do you really think this process finds all the people stealing signals from their friends? C'mon...

Saying you can't have your service when you go on vacation is like the RIAA saying you need to buy 2 versions of the same song if you want to listen to it in two different places, because there's a chance you MAY be doing something illegal.

The whole audit process is lame and ineffective...

they aren't saying that you can't have service when you are at your vacation home, they are saying that if you have two houses (home/vacation) then you are NOW required to have two accounts. Despite what Charlie said last year at some point on one of the Chats or what the rules used to be, that's all.

Caeboy said:
I have a question about, why people think Dish requiring 2 accounts for a Vacation home and Main home is wrong? If you have phone survice at both places do you expect to be charged only once?

Simple - Charlie said on his chats several times that he did it.

As people can do this with a unit in their motorhome, its a small step from Motorhome to vacation house.

Now, if they rent the house and others use it when they are not in their primary location, I would say they should pay for 2 different accounts.

However, given the nature of satellite vs a wired service, whether its cellular or dbs, I can clearly see having units in a second location.

The problem arises as more probably abuse than use it legit.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Simple - Charlie said on his chats several times that he did it.

As people can do this with a unit in their motorhome, its a small step from Motorhome to vacation house.

Now, if they rent the house and others use it when they are not in their primary location, I would say they should pay for 2 different accounts.

However, given the nature of satellite vs a wired service, whether its cellular or dbs, I can clearly see having units in a second location.

The problem arises as more probably abuse than use it legit.

and don't forget the rules that Dish has now mandated within the last year.

Stargazer said:
... Charlie Ergen said himself a while back on a Consumer Charlie Chat that it was ok to take a receiver to a second home that you may have like a vacation home and then bring it back when you come back. ...
Do you not think that Mr. Ergen may have misspoke?:D
You continue to rationalize that the contract does not apply to things to which you want the right to do. Mr. Ergen said... portable equipment exists... Do what you want to do, just don't expect all to be comfortable with dishonest behavior.:rolleyes:

Purogamer said:

Actually yes, remember the person that posted the info about the islands last year that got hit? Seems everyone on the island if I remember correctly was getting dish in an unlawful manner and all but one receiver per household was shut off.

No matter what you do there is always going to be someone to find something wrong with what you do legal or not. I do not see why it is so wrong for someone to take a receiver when they go camping. Dish Network themselves has mobile accounts available and RV waivers to get the distant networks (until they have to be shut off recently). How is it being dishonest to take a dish with you while you travel? No, I know that Charlie Ergen did not mispeak. I know that they have cracked down on things in the past year or so though. One could take a DVR or a pocketdish with them as another solution and there is nothing anybody can say about that (yet).

Some people see it as a device like the Sirius/XM satellite radio or a cell phone where you can take it with you and get the service. There is a difference between having two receivers in two different households and taking it with you on the road. I know that some will not see it that way and others will. There are always going to be people see things in different wavelengths.

We live in our rv, have the rv waiver (haven't lost distant locals, yet), one receiver, no phone connection. It was all straight foreward-Dish installer installed current receiver. They know "people like us". We are almost never in an area where we could receive local networks. Just a little info on how the rv waiver really is intended.

We also know of one person who is receiving Dish from someone elses account. He is complaining because he has no control over the account so can't get HD until 'everyone else' wants it. It's people like this who necessitate an audit department. This guy is not pennyless, just dishonest.

Boni