Call VOOM and cancel and you will still get programming and will not be charged

freezetime

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
I called VOOM and the first thing you hear is a recording saying VOOM will be shut down the 30th and is not taking any new orders or making any new installs etc etc. I stayed on the line and I asked if I cancelled if I will still be charged for the month of April and if I could upgrade to VA VA VOOM. He said they aren't upgrading or downgrading.

VOOM bills me on the 13th so the guy said as long as I cancel before then I won't get charged. If I don't cancel I will get charged until the 30th then pro-rated the difference. Now this is what doesn't make sense, if I cancel today I would still get programming until they picked up the equipment which they aren't even making appointments for yet. So unless you call up and cancel you are going to be billed depending on when your card is charged every month.

I'm on autopay with them so maybe it's different. Basically, the guy said if you cancel the service you still get programming until the 30th or whenever they pick up the equipment whichever comes first. So you get programming for free or if you don't cancel you have to pay. Even the CSR says it doesn't make sense and said to even expect them to pick up the equipment AFTER the 30th. He told me that there is a small chance that VOOM will survive but told me that everyone was shocked to learn about it today. I told him how VOOM was just ahead of it's time and that I enjoyed it while it lasted.

So save some money and call and cancel and you will STILL get PROGRAMMING!

Interesting idea. I'm gonna pass, though. Don't wanna risk it -- not that CSR's are ever wrong, but I'd sure hate to have it shut off before absolutely necessary. And I don't mind paying for as long as they provide the service. It's worth it.
Of course, I'm not on autopay. If anyone is still on autopay why in Hell's bathroom would you not call your credit card company and change your account number? This also falls under the category of "why risk it?". Voom has a long history of effing up billing, what'll you do if they hit ya hard one last time and then close? Sure, fight the charges but it just seems to me to be easier to nip this in the bud.
I'm about to send in a check that pays through the 24th of April. When things are over, if someone's still minding the store, I will do any prorating that needs to be done and mail them a check for the last six days.

TheTimm said:
Interesting idea. I'm gonna pass, though. Don't wanna risk it -- not that CSR's are ever wrong, but I'd sure hate to have it shut off before absolutely necessary. And I don't mind paying for as long as they provide the service. It's worth it.
Of course, I'm not on autopay. If anyone is still on autopay why in Hell's bathroom would you not call your credit card company and change your account number? This also falls under the category of "why risk it?". Voom has a long history of effing up billing, what'll you do if they hit ya hard one last time and then close? Sure, fight the charges but it just seems to me to be easier to nip this in the bud.
I'm about to send in a check that pays through the 24th of April. When things are over, if someone's still minding the store, I will do any prorating that needs to be done and mail them a check for the last six days.

The CSR cancelled my credit card too so there will be no mistakes. He seemed to be on the ball.

Glad to hear it. I haven't heard nearly as many billing complaints around here lately -- seems Voom finally got that aspect pretty much together, just in time for the end -- but I gotta imagine it'd be a bit of a PITA to fix a billing problem after they've gone bye-bye.

TheTimm said:
Good advice....Voom charged me $250 in January for "cancelling my service" which I NEVER called to do. It took 8 phone calls and 6 weeks to get the credit card charge reversed. Accidents happen or computer glitches or whatever you want to call them but if it happened today, who would you call? You could dispute it with your credit card company but then their dispute resolution department would have to talk to someone at VOOM to get their side of the story, they don't automatically reverse it just on your say so and who would THEY be able to call?? Not a pretty picture.

Well I can say that the day before the dam broke I called and downgraded from VaVaVoom to Bbasic service (because they had missed yet another OTA upgrade service call) and today I still have VaVaVoom coming through. Also got a nice email saying how my service call had been cacelled and I wasn't going to be charged for service from the date my workorder was generated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts