Called to upgrade to Hopper. $65 and 4 very confusing minutes later...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FogNoggin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Kingston, NY
I'm posting to tell all, that upgrading to Hopper right now will cost you $65, maybe. The phone call to request this was more than a little confusing.

I requested an upgrade from my VIP612 to 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. The customer service rep didn't ask me any questions at all or offer me any information. No mention of the whole-home DVR fee or the price-per-Joey fee. The limited info I did receive was this; my monthly bill will go up by roughly $24 and they're running a promotion right now offering the Hopper upgrade for $50 "lease" plus a $15 installation fee. I questioned $15 as I subscribe to the monthly protection plan. No good explanation was offered other than without my protection plan that installation fee would have been $95, bringing the total install charge to $145. Whatever, I accepted the $65 upgrade total and agreed to a new 2-year contract. The earliest install date I could get was 11-23, Black Friday.

Last edited:
Price seems right since they dropped the upgrade cost per hopper by $50. $15 install is normal for protection plan, but sometimes waived. It's still cheaper than a few weeks ago when people were paying $100 per hopper.

Also, a reminder on a 1H/3J system that it only has three tuners available over those 4 TV locations. If you need more tuners, you might consider a 2H/2J system.

You can always message someone at DIRT to confirm that everything is correct...

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming my experience. I've never spoken with a service rep that was in such a hurry to complete a call. She didn't try to up-sell me anything. ;-)

The 3 Joeys are all bedroom TV's so 1 Hopper should be enough. It'll certainly be a huge upgrade from my current 1 DVR setup.

I have 2 teenagers, 4 of us total in the house. We've all been sharing a single VIP622 with it's 2-tuner limitation and a single TV. We now have 4 HDTV's but all will never be running at once and we're almost always watching recorded material.

I do have one question, does the PTAT utilize any of the 3 tuners or are all of those recordings downloaded via Internet?

Also, a tech said all the PTAT channels for each area are on the same transponder, this is how it is supposed to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)