Caller I.D. working sometimes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgohio

Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
had directv installed 1 week ago, have called twice , they say its a firmware problem and when they have a upgrade they will download it to me ,might take up to 2 months? anyone else having this problem

Which receiver? What is its current software version?

Anyway, I don't use Caller ID on the receiver. My cordless phone handset has it.

Caller ID will have problems, fact. D* will send out a thousand techs to fix something that cant be fixed. It is a feature that should not be live as its so buggy becuase of 911/fcc regulations. In my area Embarq CID works 50% of the time and Verizon about 25% of the time.

Nutshell, If its not working right, it wont. There have been tech bulletins about it for years but CSR's still for some stupid reason give callers hope.

What happens is, the modem is so sensitive that if it was in the middle of a call and you had to call 911 (or anything for that matter), it would give you a dial tone before you could get it to your ear. Embarq's DSL frequencies interfere with that restriction essentially permanently turning your modem off.

Caller ID will have problems, fact. D* will send out a thousand techs to fix something that cant be fixed. It is a feature that should not be live as its so buggy becuase of 911/fcc regulations. In my area Embarq CID works 50% of the time and Verizon about 25% of the time.

Nutshell, If its not working right, it wont. There have been tech bulletins about it for years but CSR's still for some stupid reason give callers hope.

What happens is, the modem is so sensitive that if it was in the middle of a call and you had to call 911 (or anything for that matter), it would give you a dial tone before you could get it to your ear. Embarq's DSL frequencies interfere with that restriction essentially permanently turning your modem off.

Same deal here in Maine with Fairpoint (was Verizon). I notice that CID works best on calls from local area. while in-state LD calls mostly don't display. Dishnetwork VIP622 worked fine.

FWIW, Eric

Mine has worked off and on for the past several years.
I am doing CE software updates, so that may have something to do with it, I use it on my HR20-700 and love it when it works.
I have a friend that also has the same rec. and does not go any CE's and never has an trouble with his caller id.
I'm not saying that it's the ce's because I don't think it is, I just think that Caller Id is an added feature that they really are not to worried about ...
They are in the TV business, not the phone bus... figure it's not a priority.

If everything else is working fine , then they may look into it.

I'm glad I have it, but if I didn't, my phones do anyway.

Jimbo

ditto on this with E*

thanks for all the feed back,but I just came on board with directv last week have the HR22 with software upgrade 0x2d7 as of 3-20-09, have dsl with centurytel same line cord same setup for the last 2 years worked fine everytime on dish networks dual hd dvr, just nice to have instead of putting on the glasses to read the small display on telephones that all work fine with the caller id ,for sure a problem with the directv box itself

thanks for all the feed back,but I just came on board with directv last week have the HR22 with software upgrade 0x2d7 as of 3-20-09, have dsl with centurytel same line cord same setup for the last 2 years worked fine everytime on dish networks dual hd dvr, just nice to have instead of putting on the glasses to read the small display on telephones that all work fine with the caller id ,for sure a problem with the directv box itself

Theres probably not anything wrong with the box, more than likely it's a software issue that they haven't completely addressed, I say that because , my CID will work perfect for months at a time then not work and then work again.
At the moment, it is working great, but with next weeks CE it may not.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)