Caller ID on VIP Receivers with VOIP

Rod Williams

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama
I am in the process of dumping my phone landline and switching to VOIP. My wife really loves seeing the caller id info displayed on our big screen tv. Is there anyway to receive caller id on the dish 622 & 722 receivers with voip(i will be using homeplug to connect my receivers to broadband.
I have been referred to the PAP 2T adapter by Linksys. Not sure how this would work since my internet modem and router are upstairs in our home and one of the Dish receivers is downstairs.
I hope this is not too confusing.
Rod

I have only VoIP at home, and my primary line is serviced throughout the house via a PAP-2T. I connect up all my receivers to the phone line to avoid the $5 charge, and also for caller-ID. Works great. Actually when the receivers call home via the phone line, that function is pretty shaky. But it works well enough to avoid the charge even though the modem connection seldom works for long. But the caller-ID function works great.

I have only VoIP at home, and my primary line is serviced throughout the house via a PAP-2T. I connect up all my receivers to the phone line to avoid the $5 charge, and also for caller-ID. Works great. Actually when the receivers call home via the phone line, that function is pretty shaky. But it works well enough to avoid the charge even though the modem connection seldom works for long. But the caller-ID function works great.

I hate to be a bother, but since I am new to VOIP could you tell me how your setup is configured? My plan is/was to connect the base of my wireless phone system to VOIP using the IP adapter my provider is sending(which I believe is the PAP 2T). My understanding is that I connect the IP adapter to the router on one end and to the phone system base on the other. So I am confused on how to connect to my Dish receivers.

I have my VoIP adapter plugged into my house's home phone line wiring. It is disconnected at the box outside so I don't feed my signal back out to AT&T. All my phones work just fine including my 722 Caller ID. I'm using a Sipura 1001 device with a free Gizmo Project line, with a free IPKall number pointed at it. I can't dial out on that line but everyone can dial into my house just fine. Can't beat free... If I don't want to use cell minutes I just tell folks to call the house number.

I hate to be a bother, but since I am new to VOIP could you tell me how your setup is configured? My plan is/was to connect the base of my wireless phone system to VOIP using the IP adapter my provider is sending(which I believe is the PAP 2T). My understanding is that I connect the IP adapter to the router on one end and to the phone system base on the other. So I am confused on how to connect to my Dish receivers.
Split the phone line into two feeds, one to the wireless base and one to the Dish receiver.

All that the Dish receiver needs is a dial tone on a phone line. You probably already have the receiver setup for Caller-ID display - so that should be it. I use magicJack and I just had to plug it in (and test that there was a dial tone from an actual phone).

My plan is/was to connect the base of my wireless phone system to VOIP using the IP adapter my provider is sending (which I believe is the PAP 2T). My understanding is that I connect the IP adapter to the router on one end and to the phone system base on the other.
Right. As others have stated, you just plug everything that expects to see the plain old telephone system into the RJ11 jack on the PAP-2T. This doesn't have to be just one phone. It could be your whole house. Like Digiblur, I unplugged my house from (in my case) Verizon's copper. So my house telephone wiring is not going anywhere other than my PAP-2T.

Note that if you have DSL, you DO NOT want to do what is suggested by Digi unless you run a dedicated line from the NID to the DSL modem.

Thanks for all the quick replies. It has given me a lot to work with. The main reason I went with VOIP is that I have a business in my home with a business landline. I am so tired of paying ATT throught the nose. We have had ringmaster service so we could differentuate between business calls and personal calls. My wife seems to think that we should keep a residential line in addition to the VOIP line. I have bragged so much about how much money we will be saving that she says we can still save a lot even if we keep the residential landline. I may have to take this a step at a time to keep her happy. I am getting the VOIP service for less than what I was paying for unlimited long distance alone.
Anyway, thanks a lot.
Rod

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts