Status
Please reply by conversation.

w6pea

"Old Jarhead"
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 21, 2011
Mexifornia aka San Diego, Ca.
I have caller ID on my At&t landlines. I was looking at one of the DIRECTV Tips & Tricks Guide and the DVR Receivers user guide, that I can hook up to my receiver and it will show who's calling me on the caller ID, Now here is the fun part I have a two line telephones that we use, will the 2nd line show up?

Thanks

Good question! I don't think anyone has ever asked that before.

it should be your primary number, but I would guess it depends on which number the caller was calling you on.

Last edited:
No, they only listen to the red/green pair, so only Line 1 will show up. However, way back the first time I had D*, I used a clever little Radio Shack automatic switch that was designed to allow an answering machine to answer two lines. I just wired the jacks that the D* receivers plugged into so that they were connected to the line switch. Then when either line rang the switch would grab the ringing line and deliver the caller ID to the receivers (albeit with no indication whether it was Line 1 or 2). Now, I doubt RS still carries said switch (since voicemail has obsoleted answering machines), and the ones I've come up with searching are way more expensive than I remember it being (I think it was like $20-30). But if you can find one cheap, that's how you do it.

That would, however, make Directv crazy!

Thy have a program to ring back to customer phone land lines. Connect somebody else's phone line to your receiver and first there will be black helicopters following you.....then the men in black will be at your door. IF they ring back two different numbers they will just run in circles until they disappear up their own ass!

Did anything bad ever happen?

Joe

That would, however, make Directv crazy!

Thy have a program to ring back to customer phone land lines. Connect somebody else's phone line to your receiver and first there will be black helicopters following you.....then the men in black will be at your door. IF they ring back two different numbers they will just run in circles until they disappear up their own ass!

Did anything bad ever happen?

Joe

loco.gif

No, that won't do anything, because all it does is separate the pins. It doesn't change the fact that the receiver doesn't have a connection to the pins for line 2. If you use a regular splitter, it'll cause both lines to not work. The only way to have it monitor both lines is to use an automatic switch.

Last edited:
No, that won't do anything, because all it does is separate the pins. It doesn't change the fact that the receiver doesn't have a connection to the pins for line 2. If you use a regular splitter, it'll cause both lines to not work. The only way to have it monitor both lines is to use an automatic switch.

Or run line 2 into the D* box, if thats what he's trying to accomplish ...

Here is an idea. Get off your couch and go look at the phone to see who it calling! But it is an interesting idea. I was thinking about doing it myself.

People still have land-lines? I haven't had one in 5 years and I don't think any one I know has one.
Now, the question becomes, can I get my iPhone to send a signal to my receiver telling me who's calling? Is there an app for that, Mr. Jobs?

Here is an idea. Get off your couch and go look at the phone to see who it calling! But it is an interesting idea. I was thinking about doing it myself.

I do but when the phone is in the kitchen and you are handicapped it's kind of hard to get to the phone to look at the caller ID before the call goes to voice mail. :sorry: :coffee

HeinrichVictory said:
People still have land-lines? I haven't had one in 5 years and I don't think any one I know has one.
Now, the question becomes, can I get my iPhone to send a signal to my receiver telling me who's calling? Is there an app for that, Mr. Jobs?

Yup, plenty of people have them.....
DSL works off landlines and U verse as well, not to mention any of the other phone companies that supply internet.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I have a Vonage line for my business but that's it.. Everything else is cell.. Now it's not an app, but there IS a bluetooth adapter that ties your cell phone to the house wiring... I also run a program that sniffs the Vonage caller ID off the network and sends it to my computers as a popup..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)