Calm Before the Storm?

D* has great advertisements and a plan.
I particularly like their current ones ... with Beyonce !

They're spending big bucks too. I'm sure Beyonce got a nice check, as did Jessica Simpson before her. They're both very recognizable faces at the moment. Even "Doc" from Back to the Future is known by most people.

How about going back to the guy with the helmet with the dish on his head, just upgrade it to a 1000+.

I know this has been mentioned before, but why is everyone getting so bent out of shape about D*'s new HD channels. I would like to know from a D* sub, in all honesty, of the HD channels dish does not have....is there that much actual HD programming on them that we Dish people are missing? My contract is up in February with Dish, and I'm hoping by then things will be pretty even. Also, the Dish DVR with its two room capability etc... just seems to be much better. Just my 2 cents.

Forget Doc...Give me Beyonce and Jessica. I actually look forward to commercials now.

Im waiting for them to get Jenna Jameson to pitch her HD channel... assuming there would actually be one coming soon. Probably not. But I would love to see that commercial :D

I know this has been mentioned before, but why is everyone getting so bent out of shape about D*'s new HD channels. I would like to know from a D* sub, in all honesty, of the HD channels dish does not have....is there that much actual HD programming on them that we Dish people are missing? My contract is up in February with Dish, and I'm hoping by then things will be pretty even. Also, the Dish DVR with its two room capability etc... just seems to be much better. Just my 2 cents.

Hard question to answer since it all depends on what you want to see. If you're a big fan of Nip/Tuck then you're missing watching that show in HD on FX. If SGA is your thing then you're missing that show in HD on Sci-Fi.

Hard question to answer since it all depends on what you want to see. If you're a big fan of Nip/Tuck then you're missing watching that show in HD on FX. If SGA is your thing then you're missing that show in HD on Sci-Fi.

Good Point. But are most of the D* HD exclusives just running 1 or 2 things in HD, or do some channels have a lot of HD, like say...the big 4 networks. I guess my point is, I can wait a few months for a channel in HD, if they show one show in HD, and the rest SD.

Good Point. But are most of the D* HD exclusives just running 1 or 2 things in HD, or do some channels have a lot of HD, like say...the big 4 networks. I guess my point is, I can wait a few months for a channel in HD, if they show one show in HD, and the rest SD.

I sent a e-mail to Eric Abner. He is the p.r. guy at the Tennis Channel. I asked him when the Tennis Channel hd was going to launch and if it was exclusive to Direct and if they had plans to launch on Dish. He said the initial roll out of the channel would be on Direct. Which sounds like to me that it is exclusive to Direct. He said Dish should follow at some point but did not elaborate. He said it will launch on Direct in Janurary.

Exculsive

I sent a e-mail to Eric Abner. He is the p.r. guy at the Tennis Channel. I asked him when the Tennis Channel hd was going to launch and if it was exclusive to Direct and if they had plans to launch on Dish. He said the initial roll out of the channel would be on Direct. Which sounds like to me that it is exclusive to Direct. He said Dish should follow at some point but did not elaborate. He said it will launch on Direct in Janurary.

I think you are unclear on what "exclusive" means. Exclusive is like the NFL SUNDAY TICKET it is exclusive to D* it only shows on D* because thaere has been a contract for it only be on D*. They have this contract that they resign every few years that keeps them only on D*. Rolling out on D* then E* will get it means that it will start out on D* then a little later E* will have it. That could be days. weeks, or months time wise.

Until last night when it was mentioned during the Dallas/GB game I didnt know there was a court battle going on between the NFL and Comcast. The NFL didnt put up Sunday Ticket for bidding so Comcast couldnt bid on it. In return they changed the NFL channel so that people would have to sign up for a sports package to get it. Now most Comcast subs dont have it... or would want it if they could. Football was not happy and went to court. And lost.

Giving exclusivity can have its drawbacks ;-)

I think you are unclear on what "exclusive" means. Exclusive is like the NFL SUNDAY TICKET it is exclusive to D* it only shows on D* because thaere has been a contract for it only be on D*. They have this contract that they resign every few years that keeps them only on D*. Rolling out on D* then E* will get it means that it will start out on D* then a little later E* will have it. That could be days. weeks, or months time wise.

The key word is"initial":). I had sent two e-mails to Eric. The first one asked when and where will the Tennis Channel hd be available. I took it that when he said intial rollout that he ment exclusive for a short period of time before any other provider.

And that is just exactly what it is. D* subs were 'calm' because they at least had something to look forward to - and as we see now, something that was true and has come to fruition. Problem is I don't see E* subs getting 'acclimated', I think a substantial portion of them are far from 'acclimated'. D* subs stayed because the info put out from them was exciting, 100 new channels and so on - that was headline making stuff IMO.

I honestly don't think they would (me included) would have been so 'calm' if I had no idea what they were attempting to accomplish. That is the fact that is missing now and causing all of these threads. And there are a lot of these types of threads popping up - and in most of the forums I visit its the same story.

It's called the 'carrot' and it indeed makes a difference. I truly believe that DISH needs to put out some honest info as to what will be transpiring in the next year or so. As you mention it worked for their competitor. Forget who has or doesn't have the better service, most channels or anything like that - DISH is not doing as good a job in communicating, that is obvious. These threads are from DISH subs remember.

I agree with you as I posted something very similar on the dbstalk website. OF course James Long the moderator went into attack mode for what he considered any disparging remarks against DISH/Echostar. Charlie should use the next Charlie Chat to outline their plans so the subs and the media can get wind of what their plans are. This would go a long way in keeping people who are thinking of switching to Directv ,reasons to stay with DISH.

He needs to clearly say how many hd channels that they will have by the end of December and what channels they are talking to about adding. He could explain how they are going to accomplish this by reclaiming bandwith by consolidating the international channels to 118.5 freeing up transponders on 61.5 and 148. He could then explain that they will be using the spotbeams on 61.5 to start up more hd locals for the eastern part of the U.S. and maybe the 148 sat conus beams for west coast hd locals where they can. He could also explain the new mpeg 4 encoders and how they will be able to put 6 hd channels on one transponder rather than 4 today, freeing up more bandwith for more hd.

Then he needs to explain the delays in hd additions, due to the launch site failures - rocket with no relation to DISH, blew up. HE could also outline the plans he talked about at Team Summit last May. Whether he will, or not have new sats to relaunch Dish in full mpeg 4 next year like he said at team summit. He said then he would have up to 200 national hd channels, all the sd channels , all the hd locals for up to 100 dmas , all the sd locals and all the international channels - all on one 18"sat dish. THis plan was very exciting to hear and it gave anyone who heard it optimism for the future. The time to explain what the plan is for the future is NOW. Delays or stoney silence is not the way to go unless Charlie wants more CHURN. He can always preface any future plans with "barring any unforeseen problems beyond our control".

I personally think that there will be no buyout of DISH due to CHarlie Ergen and the fact he doesn't want to give up any control over how the company is run to anyone. That is what stopped the NewsCorp merger in the 90s and probably is what is stopping any buyout of DISH by ATT. Now if ATT would PARTNER with DISH and leave Charlie running DISH /ATT as CE0 , he would work out that deal today. He wants their investment like the 500 million they paid a few years back when they started their origional partnership, he doesn't want their interference in how he runs the company. I think that ATT needs DISH more than they need ATT because their own video offering is failing to attract many subs. Charlie is a gambler and he has always been able to pull a rabbit out of his hat when he needs to. Look at Allamerican direct for distants. But he needs to talk to his subs and the public.

As ceo of a company he owes to his subs and stock holders communication for his plan for the future . Every day he waits to do this more churn will result. DIRECTV has the best advertisers there are and they are going to tout how many hd channels they have, as loud as possible. Also they are partnered with Best Buy and Circuit City, where most people who buy an hdtv will ask where they can get hd will go with them , since they are right there in the store to sign you up. DISH has att and sears WHOO !WHOO! DISH needs to rethink their entire hd advertising and their partnerships with retail stores.

Even watching SD programming on the HD channel is better than watching it on the overcompressed SD channel! Give us the HD channels, load them up! HD content will come in time!

What Derek said. Anybody who thinks we don't need Sci-Fi HD right now must not watch the SD channel. Likewise for locals.

, freeing up more bandwith for more hd.

I personally think that there will be no buyout of DISH due to CHarlie Ergen and the fact he doesn't want to give up any control over how the company is run to anyone. That is what stopped the NewsCorp merger in the 90s and probably is what is stopping any buyout of DISH by ATT. Now if ATT would PARTNER with DISH and leave Charlie running DISH /ATT as CE0 , he would work out that deal today. He wants their investment like the 500 million they paid a few years back when they started their origional partnership, he doesn't want their interference in how he runs the company. I think that ATT needs DISH more than they need ATT because their own video offering is failing to attract many subs. Charlie is a gambler and he has always been able to pull a rabbit out of his hat when he needs to. Look at Allamerican direct for distants. But he needs to talk to his subs and the public.

I thought that the FTC is the one who stopped News corp/Direct TV merger.

He needs to clearly say ... and what channels they are talking to about adding.
Won't happen. You don't tell your competitors what you're doing like this.... And what good would it do to say "we're talking with InHD" or any other channel ? That means NOTHING. It does NOT mean that they'll ever add the channel or if they do, it doesn't automatically imply a time-frame.
He could explain how they are going to accomplish this by reclaiming bandwith by consolidating the international channels to 118.5 freeing up transponders on 61.5 and 148. He could then explain that they will be using the spotbeams on 61.5 to start up more hd locals for the eastern part of the U.S. and maybe the 148 sat conus beams for west coast hd locals where they can. He could also explain the new mpeg 4 encoders and how they will be able to put 6 hd channels on one transponder rather than 4 today, freeing up more bandwith for more hd.

Then he needs to explain the delays in hd additions, due to the launch site failures - rocket with no relation to DISH, blew up.
Those aren't bad ideas.
I personally think that there will be no buyout of DISH due to CHarlie Ergen and the fact he doesn't want to give up any control over how the company is run to anyone.
If he sells to any other company, he WILL do as he's told or he'll be fired. I don't think the AT&Ts of today buy a company and let them continue to run as they always have. If he sells Echostar, he'll walk away with more money than his grandchildren could ever dream of spending.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)