Calm Before the Storm?

ghostyroastytoasty

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Beckley, WV
Does anyone else think that our waiting for more HD is going to come to an end soon? I think Dish might have quite a bit up their sleeves.. There is no way they can sit back and not counter what D* is doing.

They did say if a HD channel was available they would air it. Yet I'm starting to lack confidence in that statement.

Does anyone else think that our waiting for more HD is going to come to an end soon? I think Dish might have quite a bit up their sleeves.. There is no way they can sit back and not counter what D* is doing.

I'm not sure how they can have quite a bit up their sleeve. Not much has changed bandwidth wise for E* in the past few months. Maybe with the Charlie Chat coming up soon we will get something so he can at least say he's given us something.

They could start a three year advertising campaign like DIRECTV did.

Which obviously worked better for them than the total 'unknown' factor which is causing lots of threads, posts, and people with DISH saying they are leaving. I would want to know what the plan is if I had DISH. I hope they release some info - I think it would be in their best interest.

I really wish they would at least tell us they have bandwidth to add channels.. that they are planning on adding additional hd locals for certain markets.. etc..

but that's not what they do :(

D* users know calm well. E* subs are just getting acclimated.

And that is just exactly what it is. D* subs were 'calm' because they at least had something to look forward to - and as we see now, something that was true and has come to fruition. Problem is I don't see E* subs getting 'acclimated', I think a substantial portion of them are far from 'acclimated'. D* subs stayed because the info put out from them was exciting, 100 new channels and so on - that was headline making stuff IMO.

I honestly don't think they would (me included) would have been so 'calm' if I had no idea what they were attempting to accomplish. That is the fact that is missing now and causing all of these threads. And there are a lot of these types of threads popping up - and in most of the forums I visit its the same story.

It's called the 'carrot' and it indeed makes a difference. I truly believe that DISH needs to put out some honest info as to what will be transpiring in the next year or so. As you mention it worked for their competitor. Forget who has or doesn't have the better service, most channels or anything like that - DISH is not doing as good a job in communicating, that is obvious. These threads are from DISH subs remember.

The problem with E* putting out a carrot is that according to those in the know about E* (including E* employees), E* isn't ever totally sure what they're going to do and when they are going to do it.

Their programming contracts and satellite bandwidth allocation are never in sync. It seems like they just go out and sign up a new hd network and then scramble around trying to find space on open tp's. Rather than allocating a certain amount of bandwidth for new content and then going out and signing agreements for new content.

They could start a three year advertising campaign like DIRECTV did.

D* has great advertisements and a plan. They talked about how much HD and even the channels before the satellites went up. D* did not have hardly any HD and the average Joe still thought they had the most HD. That is what a good marketing department will do for you.

E* has a 1980's feel to their advertisements and people just do not remember seeing them. E* needs some up to date marketing and a plan. Even if they say 300 HD channels by 2010, with the right advertisements and plan it will work.

This is the calm before the storm. E* just needs to let everyone know when the storm will hit. It worked for D*

I couldn't agree more. And I agree it IS the calm before the storm, people just would like to know WHEN they expect the storm to hit - and what the storm will bring.

If they had learned anything from DirecTV over the past couple of years, this should have been lesson number 1.

They need a new ad agency I am thinking. Don't lose sight that the commotion going on is NOT being stirred by D* subs, it is being driven overwhelmingly by DISH subs wanting to know what is going on with their provider in light of what DIRECTV has accomplished in the past couple of months.

A heavy dose of exceptional marketing (and today their marketing is FAR from exceptional) and they should be able to 'calm' their tribe I think.

I think you may have the WRONG interpretation of STORM.

The STORM will begin to occur this year when early adopters of 622s run to the end of their contracts.

I for one will be switching if things have not improved when my contract runs out. I assume that I will NOT be ALONE.

I have a list of things make-or-break things that could keep me from switching when the time comes.

So until I can STORM off, I am trying to remain CALM.

I totally agree with Scobuck, we need to at least get some sort of info from Dish or I fear we Dish subs will begin the great migration to other providers. For them to be completely quiet in this other than recounting the number of HD channels they claim to have (I have nowhere near 70 by the way!!!), is just terrible marketing.

Bandwidth is not really a problem either according to digiblur's calculations. This whole situation is really a head scratcher for us.

On the other hand, I think dish subs have become more like the Yankees of the satellite world where if "Their not first, they're Last", and only the title of being Number 1 will do. We really need to exercise some patience in this. Two years from now, no one will be too concerned over who got MSG, USA, FX, TLC, etc two-three months earlier than the competition.

I couldn't agree more. And I agree it IS the calm before the storm, people just would like to know WHEN they expect the storm to hit - and what the storm will bring.

If they had learned anything from DirecTV over the past couple of years, this should have been lesson number 1.

They need a new ad agency I am thinking. Don't lose sight that the commotion going on is NOT being stirred by D* subs, it is being driven overwhelmingly by DISH subs wanting to know what is going on with their provider in light of what DIRECTV has accomplished in the past couple of months.

A heavy dose of exceptional marketing (and today their marketing is FAR from exceptional) and they should be able to 'calm' their tribe I think.

I think Charlie spoke on his companys p.r. dept. He said they are not doing a good enough job. Why in the hell did it take him so long to figure that out. He is obviously not a member here.:D Scott. I will pay for Charlies membership here so he can be a pub member too.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts