Can a Genie 1 still receive over the air broadcasts?

mnassour

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
The title says it all! ;) Back when I had DirecTV a decade ago, I had a pair of HR24s, each with its own AM21 over the air receiver. This way, I was able to record local HD and subchannels that DirecTV did not provide. Can the Genie still do the same thing? I still have the AM21s, or is there (hopefully) a more modern solution to this? Or did DirecTV cut loose local stations when it went to the current software?

I've been reading conflicting claims over on the DirecTV's own forums. The last message on the subject I found says that the AM21N will be supported but not the original AM21. I'm told that the new Genie 2 can't use any AM21, due to it's software not having the code.

On top of everything else, I understand there's a box I never saw, called a Local Channels Connection kit. Can I assume this would work with the current Genie? And I'm betting that DirecTV no longer has them either!

MANY thanks for any help you folks can provide!

Last edited:
You can still get AM21s on eBay, or a newer device called an LCC which I think is also only available on eBay.

Both work fine with HR44/HR54 but can be finicky which is probably why some people report they don't work. They just haven't fiddled with it enough and gave up.

The issue is going to be to figure out just which Genie he has ... he said Genie 1.
Is that the HR34 ?
34, 44 and 54's were all considered the same ..
Or is he referring to the Genie 1 being the 1st gen of the HS17 ????

OK, let me clarify. I've learned a lot since the top post. ;)

I'm in search of a DirecTV setup that will scan for local channels and insert them into the program guide. I now understand that the Genie 2 will not do this, as it will not accept either the AM21/N or the LCC. My old DirecTV setup had HR24s and the AM21N, whose database way pathetically out of date. So I guess I'm looking for the original Genie along with an LCC since, I understand, it will actually scan and insert channels which can then be recorded?

OK, let me clarify. I've learned a lot since the top post. ;)

I'm in search of a DirecTV setup that will scan for local channels and insert them into the program guide. I now understand that the Genie 2 will not do this, as it will not accept either the AM21/N or the LCC. My old DirecTV setup had HR24s and the AM21N, whose database way pathetically out of date. So I guess I'm looking for the original Genie along with an LCC since, I understand, it will actually scan and insert channels which can then be recorded?
I would look into either of the ones Slice mentioned ....
However, I do not know about being able to activate them getting them from Ebay, UNLESS you already have a D* account.

Have you talked with D* about what you want yet ?
Chances are they will try to get you into the HS17, which is a server only.

Tell them you need a HR44/54 (54 if 4k is required) instead as you may need it for tailgating or use occasionally in your RV .. just stay away from the HS17.

You can ask about the LCC as well, but they may not know what your talking about ... as Slice said, ebay may be your best bet.

Yes, we're looking at the original Genie, not the HS17 simply because it won't work with either OTA solution. I already have an AM21n, but had issues with the imcomplete database that would not receive all the local subchannels. I'd like to confirm the the LCC (when you can find it ;) ) actually causes the Genie to scan for local channels and enter them in the receiver's guide, much like the Dish dongles do.

And FWIW, when I spoke with DirecTV it was a complete fiasco. No one had any idea WHAT an AM21/N or a LCC was. In fact, if I didn't have a competent local installer who has been doing this for years, I wouldn't even consider them as a provider.

I would look into either of the ones Slice mentioned ....
However, I do not know about being able to activate them getting them from Ebay, UNLESS you already have a D* account.

Have you talked with D* about what you want yet ?
Chances are they will try to get you into the HS17, which is a server only.

Tell them you need a HR44/54 (54 if 4k is required) instead as you may need it for tailgating or use occasionally in your RV .. just stay away from the HS17.

You can ask about the LCC as well, but they may not know what your talking about ... as Slice said, ebay may be your best bet.

There is no "activation" required for the AM21 or LCC, you just plug it in. In fact I think they'd probably work with a Directv receiver that's not activated...though I'm not sure what the point would be.

At least I know an unactivated H20 will receive OTA channels just fine so I'm guessing it would be the same for AM21/LCC.

There is no "activation" required for the AM21 or LCC, you just plug it in. In fact I think they'd probably work with a Directv receiver that's not activated...though I'm not sure what the point would be.

At least I know an unactivated H20 will receive OTA channels just fine so I'm guessing it would be the same for AM21/LCC.
When I mentioned activation, I was referring to if he needed a recvr, not the LCC.

1. If you still use HR24 (or any HR2x) receiver, those receivers are limited to what is in the database and will only show those channels.
2. If you use a "normal" Genie, HR44 or HR54, it will scan for all the channels you can receive OTA. However, only the ones with a match in the database will s how guide data. Any OTA channels not in the database will still show up, but the guide will be "Regular schedule" all the time.
3. The HS17 "Genie 2" does not work with either LCC/AM21.
4. The AM21/LCC database is the same and both devices work identically.
5. I have no idea what a HR34 "OG genie" does now. As Jimbo said, they do not consider that part of the Genies anymore and I am not sure where those receivers stand.
6. If you are upgrading to a Genie now, be sure they bring you a HR44 or HR54. The 54 can do 4K.
7. This was mentioned, but the database was updated a few times since you last were with Directv a decade ago. However, said updates were a one-time-per-market thing and it hasn't been updated in a few years once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo
The title says it all! ;) Back when I had DirecTV a decade ago, I had a pair of HR24s, each with its own AM21 over the air receiver. This way, I was able to record local HD and subchannels that DirecTV did not provide. Can the Genie still do the same thing? I still have the AM21s, or is there (hopefully) a more modern solution to this? Or did DirecTV cut loose local stations when it went to the current software?

I've been reading conflicting claims over on the DirecTV's own forums. The last message on the subject I found says that the AM21N will be supported but not the original AM21. I'm told that the new Genie 2 can't use any AM21, due to it's software not having the code.

On top of everything else, I understand there's a box I never saw, called a Local Channels Connection kit. Can I assume this would work with the current Genie? And I'm betting that DirecTV no longer has them either!

MANY thanks for any help you folks can provide!
20220706_135638 (1).jpg

This is what the guide looks like with a HR44 and AM21 and partial database matches. There is also a 3-7 This TV.

To expand ... Any thing with a .1 ext. will be an OTA channel
The one without the .1 is the D* provided channel ...

Ejb, speak up if any of that has changed, it's been awhile since I've played with a rescan.

Thanks so much folks, it looks like my AM21/N boxes will work just fine in scan mode, as long as I choose the 44/54. I appreciate it!

Reactions: raoul5788
To expand ... Any thing with a .1 ext. will be an OTA channel
The one without the .1 is the D* provided channel ...

Ejb, speak up if any of that has changed, it's been awhile since I've played with a rescan.
Kinda...
When you look at a local, the Directv provided local will just show 3 WCAX. The OTA channel will show as 3-1 WCAXDT (i don't have the duplicates in my favorites list). Subchannels that match the database will always be in the 3-2 WCAXDT2 format, but those not in the database show as whatever the channel has the PSIP call sign set up to be, as shown above.

When I lived in NC, there was Directv-provided 26 WUNL and Directv-provided 26-2 UNC-EX. The 26-2 that Directv provided was 26-3 OTA. I have seen some markets just poking around where a CBS affiliate will be on xx-1 and like NBC will be on xx-2 and they use the dashes. Sometimes, they will just use the next channel up. So, if my hypothical CBS was channel 3, they would put the NBC on channel 4 in that case. I assume newer additions use the dashes and older ones don't. Also, the RSN alternates use dashes and those are not OTA :)

Some Directv-provided locals are HD/SD and there's no way to immediately discern without looking for the HD flag or at the info of the channel. This will be an issue as Directv starts to switch SD locals to MPEG4 - our receivers won't be able to tell the difference between them and both will display, even with SD duplicates hidden. It is this way now with a few random channels in a few random markets. Everyone can see an example as some of the Spanish HD channels have MPEG4 SD counterparts - if you manually type 465, it goes to the MPEG4 SD version, not the HD. You have to use the guide or channel up. EXTREMELY annoying. Hopefully they figure something out for that.

Edit: One more thing - some markets are having their SV locals replaced with phantom channels. If your market has CBS on ch 3 but you have a SV CBS on, say, channel 22, the SV CBS on 22 will still show in your guide with its call letters but the guide data and programming will be your actual local CBS, NOT the SV channel for which the call letters are shown.

Last edited:

Can the h20 really work with ota without being active with service? If so I am able to go take my h20 connect it to sat and antenna and start watching ota on it? If this is the case what about an hr20? Would it be the same and would it be able to record ( Dont care about the recording just a curious question)

Can the h20 really work with ota without being active with service? If so I am able to go take my h20 connect it to sat and antenna and start watching ota on it? If this is the case what about an hr20? Would it be the same and would it be able to record ( Dont care about the recording just a curious question)
Quite possibly, but thats another YEARS older than the 24....
You will Not be able to Record without it being an active recvr (you don't need the recorder anyways as you said)

You'd have to hook the H20 up to a dish to receive the channel information.

But why would you want to do this? You can buy a little ATSC tuner for next to nothing, there is zero advantage to using an H20 in this way.

It is virtually certain an unactivated HR20 would not allow you record OTA.

But why would you want to do this? You can buy a little ATSC tuner for next to nothing, there is zero advantage to using an H20 in this way.

The thing is I like the old ui better plus it has been unplugged for 2 years and was before I disconnected it from the account so it should have free service

The thing is I like the old ui better plus it has been unplugged for 2 years and was before I disconnected it from the account so it should have free service

If it has been off for two years it won't have any service at all. Where do you get the idea it will have "free service"?

I think you are confusing this with how DVRs work - if you have a DVR that was disconnected while active, you can often power it up some time later (some people claim years, others have seen it only work for a matter of weeks/months) and be able to watch past recordings. You cannot, however, watch any Directv programming, and you MUST NOT connect it to the satellite for this to continue working.

Sorry, the only way you can watch Directv programming is to pay Directv. Old receivers or DVRs cannot do that, whether or not the account was active when they were unplugged.

If it has been off for two years it won't have any service at all. Where do you get the idea it will have "free service"?

I think you are confusing this with how DVRs work - if you have a DVR that was disconnected while active, you can often power it up some time later (some people claim years, others have seen it only work for a matter of weeks/months) and be able to watch past recordings. You cannot, however, watch any Directv programming, and you MUST NOT connect it to the satellite for this to continue working.

Sorry, the only way you can watch Directv programming is to pay Directv. Old receivers or DVRs cannot do that, whether or not the account was active when they were unplugged.
Well my old d12 has free service like TWC HBO TNT etc….

If it works, BIG if, the H20 has a superior tuner to many of todays ota tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)