Can a new stadium have an effect on the team's fortunes?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
In light of the Marlins new stadium, I wanted to bring up this idea.

Sometimes, opening up a new stadium can have a reinvigorating effect on a team- new attitude, attendance improvements, etc.

I was thinking about when the Indians moved to Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994.

In their last few years at old Cleveland Stadium, the Indians mirrored these Marlins- young talent playing in a stadium where there were a lot of empty seats.

HD, you saw how moving into a new stadium led to a golden era for the Tribe.

1. How much of a factor can a new stadium have for a team's fortunes?

2. Will the Marlins new stadium help speed up their current rebuilding plan?

In their last few years at old Cleveland Stadium, the Indians mirrored these Marlins- young talent playing in a stadium where there were a lot of empty seats.
That's what the Indians look like now. So will the Cavs after LeBron leaves. :D

The only thing a new stadium can really do is give a team more money, but that doesn't necessarily make a team better. I'm not sure a new stadium for the Marlins will change much. Hell, they've already won 2 WS even though they have fewer than 2000 fans at most games. There's a lot of baseball fans in South Florida, but almost none of them care about the Marlins. I doubt a new stadium will change that. But if the Marlins keep developing young players like they have then maybe once every 10 years or so they can make a run for a WS. Just don't expect a crowd for the parade when they win it.

That's what the Indians look like now. So will the Cavs after LeBron leaves. :D

The only thing a new stadium can really do is give a team more money, but that doesn't necessarily make a team better. I'm not sure a new stadium for the Marlins will change much. Hell, they've already won 2 WS even though they have fewer than 2000 fans at most games. There's a lot of baseball fans in South Florida, but almost none of them care about the Marlins. I doubt a new stadium will change that. But if the Marlins keep developing young players like they have then maybe once every 10 years or so they can make a run for a WS. Just don't expect a crowd for the parade when they win it.

To a certain extent....I agree. BUT, you gotta remember....the Marlins play in a football stadium that hold up 75,000 fans. Currently, when setting up for baseball....the stadium holds 55,000. It can have 35,000 to 40,000 and the stadium will STILL loo half empty.

Personally, I think that when the stadium opens....they will draw ALOT more than they have now, but not as much as the team hopes unless a CONSISTANT winner is in place. Unlike the CUBS where they can put a sh** product on the field...and KNOW that if it is sunny and 75 degrees...Wrigley WILL be packed. I think ALOT of owners litterally bank on that notion. Unfortunately, this will always be a front runner when it comes to the Marlins because of what ownership has done in the past when it comes to fire sales. Marlin ownership will have to prove for a few years to come, that they will not pull the same crap after winning a title.

For every Cleveland, there are five Pittsburghs. Teams sell stadium extortion to towns on the idea that it will make them "competive" with the Yankees, et al.

It rarely happens. The fundamentally broken baseball economic system is still broken, and will remain broken until we (everybody except the players) win a strike, as we have in the other 3 big sports.

As to Miami in particular, the new stadium will help the teams gate, certainly. Currently the team plays in a football field with a weird plastic baseball set put in it, and, more importantly, located out in the middle of nowhere where people are not going to drive night after night (different from a football team where its only 8 Sunday afternoons).

Nope. Put the Lions anywhere and they will still lose. I think they have proven they can lose in every stadium in the NFL

Nope. Put the Lions anywhere and they will still lose. I think they have proven they can lose in every stadium in the NFL

They even lost against that high school team they were playing against for charity. Granted they said "they let them win" but I do not believe it one bit.

As to Miami in particular, the new stadium will help the teams gate, certainly. Currently the team plays in a football field with a weird plastic baseball set put in it, and, more importantly, located out in the middle of nowhere where people are not going to drive night after night (different from a football team where its only 8 Sunday afternoons).

Are you talking about the current stadium or the new stadium?

Just saw that the Marlins are playing in Puerto Rico this week. Man they look more and more like the old Expos every day. :D

Sometimes, opening up a new stadium can have a reinvigorating effect on a team- new attitude, attendance improvements, etc.

I was thinking about when the Indians moved to Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994.

HD, you saw how moving into a new stadium led to a golden era for the Tribe.

1. How much of a factor can a new stadium have for a team's fortunes?

2. Will the Marlins new stadium help speed up their current rebuilding plan?

What happened with those Indians was a rare thing and something that probably won't be seen again until the system is fixed. Yes Jacob's Field served as a new stage for new memories, but there was also something else at play...

In the mid-90's, the Cleveland Indians, headed by a willing and able owner/GM moved the team into a beautiful new ballpark. They made moves to develop young talent and trade for premier players. Eventually, they had an All-Star at just about every position. Those mid-90's Indians were the most exciting team I've ever been around in my lifetime. In any sport, in any city. It was a magical feeling and one that lead to 455 consecutive sellouts.

It also should be noted that the Indians during that time generated the majority of their money through ticket sales (as did every other club), which put them in the top echelon of spenders in the league. Other top spenders included Baltimore, Toronto, Oakland and Cincinnati. Amazing, huh? This was the last time the playing field was even in terms of payrolls. Then came the great divide: Regional Sports Networks. This new stream of money put the mid-markets out of contention, while boosting the earnings of the big cities. There was just no way to compete with that and all of our players were eventually bought out by higher earning clubs. Thus leads us to the predicament we are currently in.

The Indians of the 94-95 era was in fact a case of ""The Perfect Storm I had a business with a store in Jacobs Field that was suppose to open and then the strike came. We all waited till the start of the next season and the team and the stadium obviously were very successful. The funny part was that most of the Indians marketing staff were new and everything they did was based on the now. The team was great, the stadium was fantastic and the crowds kept pouring in. They didn't ever want to try anything new. They just laid back and actually thought that this newfound success was because of their marketing expertise. I kept asking them what they were going to be doing when the luster faded and they would just look at me and laugh. Needless to say none of them are there now.

What about the reverse?

Ie. Like when the Browns moved from the storied and intimidating Municipal Stadium to the new generic, plain and boring Cleveland Browns Stadium? The new stadium just doesn't have a feeling of history and it doesn't project intimidation. The teams that have played in the new stadium have lacked an identity the old teams had. Oddly enough, the new generic stadium lacks in identity itself.

It didn't help the Reds or the Pirates win anything yet. Although the Reds are doing good now, but their stadium opened in I think 2001.

It didn't help the Reds or the Pirates win anything yet. Although the Reds are doing good now, but their stadium opened in I think 2001.
PNC is probably the only reason the Pirates are still in Pittsburgh. In a way, you could say it's helped them, just not on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts