CAn a non activated voom receiver still get off air channels?

stevedavis

Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
I had Voom and got rid of it. However I did like their box and have found many cheap. Does anyone know if the box can be used as the off air hdtv receiver, even though not subscribed. OR does voom disable the box?

It is a Dead Box.

Providing the box has 6.1 software? If it does not have OTA scanning software will a dead box download current software?

I am not sure but I wouldn't think so , The S/W comes from voom and if its not an active box it cant get the D/L from them , but I could be wrong.

REVISED:What about a box that was activated at one time, then disconnected and ..

What if it was a box once activated then turned off. DISCONTINUED SERVICE.
Will it still function as an off air receiver. NOT hooked up to anything but the off air antenna?

thanks again

that's one thing I like about d* hd receivers. not only does the ota works, you can get the pg if you still have it hooked to the dish. no need for subscription.

stevedavis said:
What if it was a box once activated then turned off. DISCONTINUED SERVICE.
Will it still function as an off air receiver. NOT hooked up to anything but the off air antenna?
It should. Though no one that I know of has actually tried that for a significant period of time (we don't really know if there any time-bombs in the software). Old software versions refused to work without the satellite signal: they only worked until you unplug the box. The latest versions (starting with 6.00, I think) seem to be less dependent on the satellite. And with OTA scanning, the box makes more sense as a standalone OTA receiver. However, the Program Guide comes via satellite, so there will be no PG!

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Constant lockups, still. WTF?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)