Can a satellite dish interfere with an OTA signal?

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
So here's a good question for the OTA diehards out there: Can a Dish or Directv Antenna interfere with an OTA signal if the signal is already weak and far away? Case in point: CBC ch 9 in Windsor. The tower is about 30 miles southeast of me at McGregor Junction. When I had Dish, sometimes the signal came in OK, sometimes it was in pixels based on weather and I assumed various other factors. During the Directv installation, I was flipping through my OTA channels (there had to be something on TV, right?) and saw that ch 9 came in pretty clear with no issues. Granted the signal was still weak (3 out of 10 bars based on my Samsung TV's signal strength meter) but I'm thinking OK, the station probably tweaked up their power and I'll watch the channel later in the afternoon (they only have kids shows in the morning.) Afternoon comes around after Directv finishes installing the dish and I tune in to the same channel OTA and I practically get nothing. Signal goes in and out and it's all pixelated. And that brings me back to my original question. And if that is the case, is there anything I can do about it besides buying a new antenna?

I do not see it doing so if it is not in direct LOS of the OTA antenna. I could possibly see a strong local perhaps reflecting off the dish and maybe (but unlikely) cause some multipathing.

Was the OTA antenna bumped during installation and perhaps needs to be repointed?

Are you using the same cable to feed OTA and satellite?

Did an amp get unplugged?

So here's a good question for the OTA diehards out there: Can a Dish or Directv Antenna interfere with an OTA signal if the signal is already weak and far away? Case in point: CBC ch 9 in Windsor. The tower is about 30 miles southeast of me at McGregor Junction. When I had Dish, sometimes the signal came in OK, sometimes it was in pixels based on weather and I assumed various other factors. During the Directv installation, I was flipping through my OTA channels (there had to be something on TV, right?) and saw that ch 9 came in pretty clear with no issues. Granted the signal was still weak (3 out of 10 bars based on my Samsung TV's signal strength meter) but I'm thinking OK, the station probably tweaked up their power and I'll watch the channel later in the afternoon (they only have kids shows in the morning.) Afternoon comes around after Directv finishes installing the dish and I tune in to the same channel OTA and I practically get nothing. Signal goes in and out and it's all pixelated. And that brings me back to my original question. And if that is the case, is there anything I can do about it besides buying a new antenna?
Sounds like you are just seeing normal atmospheric fluctuation. You know you have a weak signal so just replace with a better antenna. Seeing you do have some signal you might be able to get away by adding an amplifier.

Generally signals fluctuate with time of day, caused by the heating of the atmosphere. Afternoon is the worst, after midnight is usually the best. Try your weak channel at 7am, noon, 5pm., and midnight see if strength varies.

Doubt it... I have a CM4228 installed less than 2 feet behind a 39" dish and both aimed relatively towards the same position. Come to think of it.. it might explain why I get 3-4 channels more than the neighbour..

Cheers, K

I never had any issues with my antenna near the dish

Heck at one time I had a 36" dish bolted to the antenna mast (about 6 inches below the antenna)

Might be on to something mate. This might explain why my CM4228 is acting more or less like a bi-directional antenna (its getting strong locals from the opposite direction).

Cheers, K

I also have a 4228. It does a good job of picking up from the back side of the antenna. I am in a direct line between the two main transmitting sites in CT and I don't have to rotate the antenna.

How is that possible? Did you remove the reflector grid?

No, but they do pick up reasonably well from the back side. A high signal strength is key. The two stations I get this way are transmitting from about seven miles away.

Even the most directional antenna can perform well from the back with a relatively clean /multipath free signal to work wth.
An antenna has 4 lobes front /back and side lobes. The front lobe has the best reception but the other 3 still receive signals and there are nulls between the lobes.

I can't see a dish interfering with anything unless it's so large it blocks the signal. A sat dish is a passive reciever.

Signals are often enhanced in the morning and evening. Afternoon the "tropo" dies off and more distant stations will appear to drop in signal strength. Too bad CBC only plays cartoons in the mornings! Where I live I often get stations from 100mi or better in the mornings, especially in the summer when the humidity is high. It's kind of the same as seeing a mirage, your antenna can see farther over the horizon than it normally should.

I have never heard of this happening before. I live on a street that is mainly Dish for some reason as just about 80% of the homes on this large culdasac have them on their roof tops. Looks like Cox lost the war on this block heh.

I have OTA though and have had no problems at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts