Can a Winegard Carryout G3 get any DirecTV HD channels at all?

sealrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
San Francisco
I have seen lots of things that say the Winegard Carryout G3 can't get DTV HD channels, but I saw something else that I thought implied that it only can't get some HD channels. Does anyone know the truth about this? Thank you.

I have seen lots of things that say the Winegard Carryout G3 can't get DTV HD channels, but I saw something else that I thought implied that it only can't get some HD channels. Does anyone know the truth about this? Thank you.
Powerful motor for faster channel surfing and signal acquisition. Power inserter sends 12-volt power to the antenna through the coax cable, so there is no separate power cord. Robust dome design ensures durability yet is lightweight and sleek. Works with DIRECTV® SD, DISH® SD/HD and Bell TV SD/HD. Compatible with DISH® Wally™ receiver and Pay As You Go programming (receiver and programming packages sold separately). Supports 2 receivers. Includes 25’ coax, power inserter with 3’ coax and 110-volt power cord. Roof mount kit #111471 sold separately. 13”H x 16” dia. Mfr. 2 year limited warranty. Made in USA.

If I recall, that unit will only get the 101 Sat for Directv, so your channels may be limited as well as HD channels.
Whatever Directv still has on the 101 Sat you should be able to get.

I believe theres setting that need to be confirmed, it may be set for DISH, it will need to be changed to Directv.

Powerful motor for faster channel surfing and signal acquisition. Power inserter sends 12-volt power to the antenna through the coax cable, so there is no separate power cord. Robust dome design ensures durability yet is lightweight and sleek. Works with DIRECTV® SD, DISH® SD/HD and Bell TV SD/HD. Compatible with DISH® Wally™ receiver and Pay As You Go programming (receiver and programming packages sold separately). Supports 2 receivers. Includes 25’ coax, power inserter with 3’ coax and 110-volt power cord. Roof mount kit #111471 sold separately. 13”H x 16” dia. Mfr. 2 year limited warranty. Made in USA.

If I recall, that unit will only get the 101 Sat for Directv, so your channels may be limited as well as HD channels.
Whatever Directv still has on the 101 Sat you should be able to get.

I believe theres setting that need to be confirmed, it may be set for DISH, it will need to be changed to Directv.
Interesting - thank you for the perspective. I guess I will poke around and see if I can find a resource which says which channels are on that satellite (happen to know of one?). I thought I was all set with the G3 for Dish, but just found out Dish doesn't have regional sports anymore! So it's between the G3 and I guess a traditional slimline (and a Winegard Trav'ler, which is überexpensive) to try to get what I want. Still not sure I can even get the angle for the correct satellites - figuring this all out for the first time. Thanks again.

Interesting - thank you for the perspective. I guess I will poke around and see if I can find a resource which says which channels are on that satellite (happen to know of one?). I thought I was all set with the G3 for Dish, but just found out Dish doesn't have regional sports anymore! So it's between the G3 and I guess a traditional slimline (and a Winegard Trav'ler, which is überexpensive) to try to get what I want. Still not sure I can even get the angle for the correct satellites - figuring this all out for the first time. Thanks again.
Isn't that particular one Self Pointing ?

There are some that are not, but most auto point.
I have one in the family that we use to use when going on vacation or camping for any extended amount of time.
It's at my Dads .... somewhere in the garage.
It also only got the 101 Sat for D* ... was adjustable for DISH as well. (don't remember exactly which model it was, I do know it was a Winegard.)

The G3 is self-pointing - I got 2 out of 3 of the Dish satellites with it, at least, before realizing Dish doesn't have local sports. I am actually using a portable setup in a residential setting, with the best spot for it being between two houses, so I am not sure which satellites will or won't be blocked - I find the sites such as dishpointer and apps quite confusing, but am trying to figure it out. I think it may come down to getting a slimline setup from SolidSignal sticking it on a pole or something. Idk though! Thanks again.

The G3 is self-pointing - I got 2 out of 3 of the Dish satellites with it, at least, before realizing Dish doesn't have local sports. I am actually using a portable setup in a residential setting, with the best spot for it being between two houses, so I am not sure which satellites will or won't be blocked - I find the sites such as dishpointer and apps quite confusing, but am trying to figure it out. I think it may come down to getting a slimline setup from SolidSignal sticking it on a pole or something. Idk though! Thanks again.
I would recommend the Slimline,, but only if you know how to work it and set it up.

The unit you have should point at the 101 for Directv, I believe thats the Only one it will see.

There are others (Self Pointing) that see all the Sats, at least the main 3 ... but they are very expensive.

Suggestion, Google Winegard G3 manual and Quick Start set up ...
This will give you a lot of info including how to adjust the switches to get Directv vs DISH
It will also tell you what Sats it is capable of seeing.

So far, if your getting DISH, your not looking at the right Sat for Directv as the main one for Directv is the 101 at this time, while the DISH ones are 110, 119 and I think 129 is what that unit will find.

Its not finding the Directv ones till you re program the switches for it to see them.

According to their website, only SD from 101° for Directv.
Remember, when that booklet was written, SD was all that was on the 101 ...
I wouldn't rule out HD eventually being on the 101 ...

Then again, those plans were made years ago, hard to say whats going to happen now.

I would recommend the Slimline,, but only if you know how to work it and set it up.

The unit you have should point at the 101 for Directv, I believe thats the Only one it will see.

There are others (Self Pointing) that see all the Sats, at least the main 3 ... but they are very expensive.
Thank you - I am leaning in that direction since yes the Trav'ler one is exorbitantly priced. I think maybe I can make it work - I am decently savvy at this sort of stuff, and watched a few tutorials and it doesn't look too hard.

Suggestion, Google Winegard G3 manual and Quick Start set up ...
This will give you a lot of info including how to adjust the switches to get Directv vs DISH
It will also tell you what Sats it is capable of seeing.

So far, if your getting DISH, your not looking at the right Sat for Directv as the main one for Directv is the 101 at this time, while the DISH ones are 110, 119 and I think 129 is what that unit will find.

Its not finding the Directv ones till you re program the switches for it to see them.
I know about the switches, yes - it's outlined in the Winegard manual and I adjusted them for Dish. The issue right now is I don't have a DTV receiver and I don't think DTV will send me one as a new customer, so I will likely order it from SolidSignal, since they say they can activate it. I have gathered that the secondhand ones should be avoided as they are probably not able to be activated.

Thank you - I am leaning in that direction since yes the Trav'ler one is exorbitantly priced. I think maybe I can make it work - I am decently savvy at this sort of stuff, and watched a few tutorials and it doesn't look too hard.

I know about the switches, yes - it's outlined in the Winegard manual and I adjusted them for Dish. The issue right now is I don't have a DTV receiver and I don't think DTV will send me one as a new customer, so I will likely order it from SolidSignal, since they say they can activate it. I have gathered that the secondhand ones should be avoided as they are probably not able to be activated.
Virtually all Directv equipment is second hand.

Remember, when that booklet was written, SD was all that was on the 101 ...
I wouldn't rule out HD eventually being on the 101 ...

Then again, those plans were made years ago, hard to say whats going to happen now.
There are 5 channels on the 101 now that are HD... MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News are 3 of them and I can't remember the other 2.

Suggest you call these folks for the best information your looking for