Can Adding a DVR reduce the dish signal--reducing PQ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maverick22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
My parents were interested in a DVR years ago. Well, two different times techs came out and said they can set my folks up with a DVR, but the signal strength would drop from low 90s to high 70s and picture quality would be reduced as a result. They had tall trees surrounding the dish at the time. Well, my parents decided not do get the DVR since they enjoy the excellent picture quality.

Last year my folks had a company come out and trim the trees. You would think that the line to the dish signal would have improved. The signal seems the same though. Picture quality is excellent when there is no rain. It's just that even a light sprinkle causes the signal to be lost.

They are retired now, watch more TV, and are interested in a DVR again. Can anyone confirm that by adding a DVR the picture quality would get worse? I don't understand if the picture quality is excellent, how can adding a DVR receiver drop the picture quality?

If you all think it's okay, I may go with one on Amazon for $158. DTV said they would have to charge full price for one right now. The rep said early July they would likely be able to get one free, but I was thinking about getting it for my mom's birthday this month. I can hook up a receiver, but I think I heard the Genie involves more than a simple switchout of the receivers. Also if I went with the Amazon one, would recordings be able to watched throughout the house?

Thanks in advance!

The techs who told you that were either stupid or lying. The loss of signal strength when it is raining is another issue, probably an alignment problem. Can you check the signal strengths on all of the satellites? If they have a swm setup then adding a Genie would be relatively easy. If not, then having a tech do it would be best. The whole home feature would be best for them to install, too. If they are long time, on time paying customers, then they may be able to get a dvr at no cost.

They have been on-time paying customers since 2002! I tried before I created this thread, but DTv said they can't give it right now. They said try in June. Best they could do is $50 off. Wonder if I called and asked a supervisor or something. Thanks for the replies.

They have been on-time paying customers since 2002! I tried before I created this thread, but DTv said they can't give it right now. They said try in June. Best they could do is $50 off. Wonder if I called and asked a supervisor or something. Thanks for the replies.
You can always call and talk with Retention.

It's true, the more receivers you add the less picture quality. Each receiver takes some bandwidth of the signal thus causing less quality as more and more boxes are added. The best solution is to put another dish, then split up the receiver load. I have 4 DVR's,two on one dish and the other two on the second dish. With this setup my picture quality is excellent, especially the HD channels.

Good luck and God bless you..

It's true, the more receivers you add the less picture quality. Each receiver takes some bandwidth of the signal thus causing less quality as more and more boxes are added. The best solution is to put another dish, then split up the receiver load. I have 4 DVR's,two on one dish and the other two on the second dish. With this setup my picture quality is excellent, especially the HD channels.

you're so full of crap it isnt even funny. When I lived in my apartment there were NINETY THREE apartments running off one dish (it was included in the rent). Now lets say each unit had one receiver, thats 93. I know some had 2 or 3 receivers. Picture quality was identical to when I lived in my house and I was the only receiver on the dish.

lets see...2 posts
-one attacked me
-now this???

No. That's not how digital works.

Okay everyone, we all know that jim77341 is wrong, no need for piling on.

Always be careful when getting directv equipment from anywhere other than directv. Get the rid number, then contact the access card department at directv to be sure the box isn't used/leased.

Reactions: Hutch1814 and Jimbo
I got a system with 325 receivers at the federal building in Detroit running off 1 Dish.

Bullsh!t I say
Actually, wouldn't this be the same way a Hotel would be set up ?
you may have that many recvrs. In a hotel, would that require more than one dish ?
I know it's set up different than a typical set up, but I its still 1 dish, isn't it ?
just asking, I've never set up anything that big.

Status
Please reply by conversation.