Can Anyone explain Sling Guide in Layman Terms?

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I have read and seen demo videos related to Sling Guide but some information is wither over lapping or vauge. I have VIP 722 and invitation to join beta. receiver is NOT connected with Ethernet because it is 100'ft away from router. I am trying gauge weather sling guide worth hassle of running cable through attic to receiver. It would be helpful If someone can clarify following question:

= is sling guide beta available for ALL VIP DVR? 722 in my case.
= is sling guide for 722 different from up coming 922? or
= how is "sling guide compatible 722" different from "Sling loaded 922"?
= Can I remotely watch TV over internet if I join beta? my brother at Austin wanna watch mavs game up there. not a big fan of spurs i guess...
= How is sling guide different from dishonline ? (which I heard ...it sucks)
= besides online scheduling , what else can it do?
= can I browse and watch sling.com on TV with 722?i.e. full episodes, watch clips...

Sorry about the long post, but since I made question close ended, it should be easy to answer....Thanks

I have the Sling Guide beta as well - but luckily, my receiver is located right next to my router, so it was no problem to hook it up.

Sling Guide is software that allows you to access your DVR functions from any computer or cell phone (at least my Iphone works). It allows you to view recorded programs, timers, and a bunch of other things... and in addition to that you can set up new timers and browse the guide to find stuff you want to record... then hit a button and it will set your DVR to record... its very, very nice... and the graphics are good too!

Overall, it would be worth your while to hook it up!

I have read and seen demo videos related to Sling Guide but some information is wither over lapping or vauge. I have VIP 722 and invitation to join beta. receiver is NOT connected with Ethernet because it is 100'ft away from router. I am trying gauge weather sling guide worth hassle of running cable through attic to receiver. It would be helpful If someone can clarify following question:

= is sling guide beta available for ALL VIP DVR? 722 in my case.
= is sling guide for 722 different from up coming 922? or
= how is "sling guide compatible 722" different from "Sling loaded 922"?
= Can I remotely watch TV over internet if I join beta? my brother at Austin wanna watch mavs game up there. not a big fan of spurs i guess...
= can I browse and watch sling.com on TV with 722?i.e. full episodes, watch clips...

Sorry about the long post, but since I made question close ended, it should be easy to answer....Thanks

If you don't want to run a long cable, you should try the HomePLug approach. Do a search for it here. Many of us use these neat little things.

I have a 722 also and the router is next to it. I didn't know this was available to me. Is using sling a subscription service? Or, is it something I have access to just for hooking up the ethernet cable and enabling highspeed internet?

I registered weeks ago and got email yesterday.
You are receiving this email because you have expressed interest in participating in the Sling-Guide Beta for Dish DVR owners at SlingGuide Login. We are rolling out this great new service to a select group of qualified customers to preview prior to the the product's launch this Spring.

Please confirm you are the email account holder and want to continue by clicking the link below.
You may also copy and paste the following link in your browser as an alternative:
SlingGuide Continue
Went I went to the link there was only information to read, but no link to get started. So I went to Sling site and signed in, but was told my account was not active. Any one have a clue on what this all means?
Dan

"It allows you to view recorded programs"

Ok, forgive my ignorance but I thought that with Sling-Guide you could only setup timers, view the guide, etc but not view recorded programs. I thought the only receiver that could do that was the new 922, please enlighten me.

Ok, forgive my ignorance but I thought that with Sling-Guide you could only setup timers, view the guide, etc but not view recorded programs. I thought the only receiver that could do that was the new 922, please enlighten me.

I think he means you can view a list of recorded programs. Not the programs themselves. I pulled the slingguide up on my iphone and used the "remote". Seemed a bit useless with the real remote next to me. I guess I could mess with my wife when I am in class.

You can view a list of recorded programs (perhaps to manage space), not the programs themselves.

You can view a list of recorded programs (perhaps to manage space), not the programs themselves.

You are suppsed to be able to view the programs themselves with a 922 or a 622/722 with a separate slingbox attached is my understanding I have the slingguide working but don't have a slingbox to test its functionality.

If you have a slingbox hooked to a DVR, you don't really need slingguide.

I just re-registered and was informed that I had already registered and I need to wait for an e-mail.

You are suppsed to be able to view the programs themselves with a 922 or a 622/722 with a separate slingbox attached is my understanding I have the slingguide working but don't have a slingbox to test its functionality.

But you need extra equipment. The slinguide lacks this functionality with "vanilla" 722s and 622s.

I hate to repeat myself but here it goes...

[New one]
= What is purpose using iphone as remote if you cannot watch remotely???? beside pulling pranks on family members...

[New one]
= What is purpose using iphone as remote if you cannot watch remotely???? beside pulling pranks on family members...

1. Don't know. Never used DishOnline
  2. Manage your DVR, like Deleting shows, changing settings and preferences on the dvr, changing channels
  3. Don't know. But don't think so...
  4. iPhone remote is handy in that it is a slingguide + remote in one. Although I think it is a little gimmicky in terms of the remote, it is still handy as a scheduler.
You could watch this video here with the lady who enunciates her words weirdly.

They are likely one and the same. Judgements about whether it sucks should be held until it is tried.
Consider watching the demonstration. It covers most of the high points.
No. As the name suggests, it is a guide with some cool additional capabilities.
The iPhone is another issue entirely. The deal there is that it will be a slingbox mobile client which enables most of the features of the Sling Guide as well as the ability to view content.

I encourage you to read the available reports from the show and watch the videos. All of your questions and more are answered directly.

[New one]

1) They are very different, I never used dishonline, but was told it was terrible. I can tell you that sling guide works VERY WELL and very intuitive.

2) With Sling guide you can schedule a show to record, manage your timers, view a list of things that have been recorded and get guide data on them. You can even make a previously recorded item start playing on the DVR (i guess this is good if you have some type of sling box hooked up).

3) No, you cannot watch stuff from your DVR over the web using sling guide and a 722. This is what the new sling loaded 922 will do.

4) Iphone remote is just a sling client for your iphone.

After rereading number 3 i think you are asking if you can watch content that is on sling.com on your TV via the 722. The answer to that is also no.

After rereading number 3 i think you are asking if you can watch content that is on sling.com on your TV via the 722. The answer to that is also no.

Unless, of course, you attach a sling to your 722; then yes, you can (although I am not sure if that functionality is up yet; maybe someone else with a sling box would know).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts