Can anyone explain the logic in this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While I was digging through these boxes I found the following I purchased years ago...MICRONTA 12 VOLT POWER SUPPLY. I'm thinking I may have purchased it RS at the time, though not certain. It says CONVERTS 120 VAC to 12 VDC. 120 VAC 60 HZ 40 WATTS MAX 13.8 VDC - 1.75A

Since the MicroHD power supply is shot anyway, would it then be possible to cut the cable on the MicroHD power supply and wire it into this converter. Not going to try it of course unless someone thinks it could work.

EDITED TO ADD: Even if this could work, I guess 1.75A alone disqualifies it since that would be less than 2 amps, correct? Not certain how much difference .25A might make, since it falls short by that much at least.

Still below recommended rating. 1.75A = 1750mA. Close enough and should work, but may experience problems if powering multiple components such as a LNBF, USB drive, HH motor, switches, etc).

I edited my last post before reading this. The question then would be, how do I tell the + from the - on the MicroHD power supply cable so that I correctly connect the - to the - on the Convertor, and the + to the +?

I realize on the MicroHD power supply cable that one cable is marked with white dashes. What I'm not entirely certain about, is this meaning the + side then, or is it meaning the - side? I'm assuming the + side but want to be 100% positive before I try and connect it to the power converter.

I realize on the MicroHD power supply cable that one cable is marked with white dashes. What I'm not entirely certain about, is this meaning the + side then, or is it meaning the - side? I'm assuming the + side but want to be 100% positive before I try and connect it to the power converter.
A solid or dashed white line usually* indicates the positive side. I say usually because I have seen rare instances where cheap adapters have had it reversed or worse yet not marked at all. You should be good but if at all unsure try to get your hands on a meter to confirm.

Reactions: Titanium
A solid or dashed white line usually* indicates the positive side. I say usually because I have seen rare instances where cheap adapters have had it reversed or worse yet not marked at all. You should be good but if at all unsure try to get your hands on a meter to confirm.

Finally got it figured out I guess. I had to hook up the dashed side of the wire to the minus side of the power converter. Powered the MicroHD right up. Now it's starting to rain out here again and I still haven't been able to check if the C1-PLL is ok. Even though I have spare lnbfs I'm still hoping the C1-PLL is ok, since I highly prefer it over the other lnbfs I have. Still have to come up with a spare RG6 somewhere before I can even check the lnbf. And if it eventually turns out that the lnbf is ok as well, then I'm only out an RG6 cable and a tv because of this lightning hit, which could have been a lot worse if not for a forum such as this, since it would have never dawned on me it might just be the power supply that got knocked out, and then wrongly assumed the MicroHD was toast, such as I was pretty much already assuming before I posted this thread. So I do truly appreciate all of the help I've gotten here.

Finally got it figured out I guess. I had to hook up the dashed side of the wire to the minus side of the power converter. Powered the MicroHD right up. Now it's starting to rain out here again and I still haven't been able to check if the C1-PLL is ok. Even though I have spare lnbfs I'm still hoping the C1-PLL is ok, since I highly prefer it over the other lnbfs I have. Still have to come up with a spare RG6 somewhere before I can even check the lnbf. And if it eventually turns out that the lnbf is ok as well, then I'm only out an RG6 cable and a tv because of this lightning hit, which could have been a lot worse if not for a forum such as this, since it would have never dawned on me it might just be the power supply that got knocked out, and then wrongly assumed the MicroHD was toast, such as I was pretty much already assuming before I posted this thread. So I do truly appreciate all of the help I've gotten here.

Glad to hear your power supply worked with your MicroHD! :) Have you checked the connectors on the ends of your coax for damage? Maybe you'll get lucky and cutting off a bit & putting a new connector on will fix the problem.

Last edited:
The rain seemed to have let up outside for a bit and I did manage to put together another RG6 finally, thus, then able to fully test the C1-PLL. It's still working fine and I'm able to watch stuff via the MicroHD again, just tested it with that a few moments ago across the entire arc, or at least most of it anyway. Still out a tv and an RG6 cable, but everything else seems to be working fine. The bad part about it, my wife bought that particular tv on credit with Fingerhut awhile back and don't even have it paid off yet. I was hoping it might be a fuse or something, but when I took it apart I only found one fuse inside, was nothing wrong with the fuse though.

The rain seemed to have let up outside for a bit and I did manage to put together another RG6 finally, thus, then able to fully test the C1-PLL. It's still working fine and I'm able to watch stuff via the MicroHD again, just tested it with that a few moments ago across the entire arc, or at least most of it anyway. Still out a tv and an RG6 cable, but everything else seems to be working fine. The bad part about it, my wife bought that particular tv on credit with Fingerhut awhile back and don't even have it paid off yet. I was hoping it might be a fuse or something, but when I took it apart I only found one fuse inside, was nothing wrong with the fuse though.
Glad to you got your MicroHD working and the C1-PLL made it too! Shame for the tv though. Any chance an insurance claim can cover it?

Reactions: highskies
If you want a regular power supply for the Micro HD, get me your address via a private conversation and I will mail you one. I can't remember just what the option is, but I think it is start a conversation in order to communicate with more privacy.

Glad to hear only TV. Still not good, but it is, what it is.

In case anyone needs a 'Wall Wart' type of power supply, Mouser.com has a variety. 12 VDC units supplying 1 to 2.5 amps DC are ranging in price from $10 to $25. Other voltages available also. These type of power supplies do fail frequently due to lightning.

Unfortunately today is not a good day for me, meaning April 2nd. 2 years ago this day my mother passed away, 1 day before my brother's birthday, and18 days before hers. I used to enjoy April out of all the months in the year, but kind of hard to anymore. My wife's birthday is in April also, but even so, April is still not as enjoyable for me as it used to be.

Unfortunately today is not a good day for me, meaning April 2nd. 2 years ago this day my mother passed away, 1 day before my brother's birthday, and18 days before hers. I used to enjoy April out of all the months in the year, but kind of hard to anymore. My wife's birthday is in April also, but even so, April is still not as enjoyable for me as it used to be.
I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. My wife lost her dad in January, one day before her birthday. She is overcome with emotion if she sees something on tv or a song plays on the radio that reminds her of him. It's been 23 years since my dad passed. I still have moments now and then when it gets to me too. Try to think of the good memories and hopefully the passage of time will make it easier for you to bear. Best wishes.

It's in the box. Was a brand new one, so didn't test it. Also threw in a remote, just in case you might end up needing one down the road. Hope to turn it over the USPS tomorrow (4/2/16).

That was fast. The power supply and remote arrived safe and sound today. Still wasn't exepecting a remote, though you already mentioned you included one, a brand new one on top of that since it's in a sealed container still. The way I have bad luck with remotes at times, either losing them, or certain buttons no longer working, etc, I'm certain this will come in handy. And now that I have the correct rated powerr supply for the MicroHD, I should no longer have to worry about possible issues when running numerous things at the same time. So once again..thanks, I really appreciete this. Maybe some day I'll be able to return the favor somehow. But even if I can't and that maybe you're not concerned about that to begin with, you at least know you helped me out here and that I appreciate it :)

You are more than welcome. People have helped me out in the past and will probably do so in the future. The least I could do, it was just setting in my collection of STUFF and you were in need.

Hope it works for some time to come.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts