Can anyone recommend a receiver please?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Test12345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
My parents' fta receiver that they use to get Persian channels stopped accepting remote commands, so I'm looking to get another box. Any suggestions on what to get? I want to spend between $100-150. They don't need any fancy features or anything, just a solid machine.

Thanks a ton!!

this is probably dumb but did you replace the battery in the remote? what receiver brand? sometimes you can change a universal remote to work if the remote is bad. charlie

Bob, that one does look quite nice, thanks.

Chaskuchar, that's definitely not a dumb question. I tried replacing the batteries, bought a harmony universal remote, and when the harmony didn't work as programmed, I even programmed the universal remote WITH the old remote, and the signal was accepted by the harmony universal remote so I assume the remote actually works fine...none of it worked.

Some guy offered me a Viewsat VS Pro for $40 + shipping, is that worth it?

If your on a budget and only watching standard definition DVB-S which it sounds like you are, then just look for a used pansat or coolsat, plenty of them out there for under 50 bucks, the viewsat you mentioned will also do the trick just fine, if you want something new for around 100 bucks then go for a traxis

one of our good standing members is selling 2 receivers...both have the capability to be a PVR

Visionsat
http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-classifieds/277678-fs-yet-another-visionsat-iv-200-a.html

CNX Trio
http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-classifieds/277681-cnx-trio-fta-receiver-sale.html

Honestly I'd go with the Visionsat. I've owned a couple of them (and recently just sold one) and they are great little units. You can hook up a usb hard drive to it (has to plug into the wall for AC) but then your folks could record shows.

Openbox S series are a good deal for what they do. They also do DVB-S2 which many signals are converting to. Has a good blind scan and covers a lot of the bases pretty well.

I agree with Iceberg on those two units. The visionsat is well received by members of this forum. The trio is also a nice unit.
It has 2 usb ports for a hardrive/stick (back and front) , plus a second usb front for the second tuner which plays avi files,divx movies etc. Runs seagate drives fine with USB power only(2.5 portables). Blind scan can be slow, but has component output and great picture.
Also has time machine so can pause/rewind live TV.

Catamount

Wow, thanks a lot for the suggestions guys! Would you say buying used is ok? I just don't feel like wasting time figuring out what's wrong again if it dies lol, so maybe spending more money is worth it. Are some brands more well received than others? Appreciate any info!!

Parents just do some basic sd video watching.

The Visionsats are excellent receivers. The firmware was tweaked until nearly perfect, and I would recommend one to anyone seeking a good, basic non-HD box. I wouldn't have any problem ordering one used from a member in good standing here.

If you want some of the newer features, such as HD, DVB-S2, and MPEG-4, I would wait for SatelliteAV's MicroHD receiver due out next month for around $125.

Wow, thanks a lot for the suggestions guys! Would you say buying used is ok? I just don't feel like wasting time figuring out what's wrong again if it dies lol, so maybe spending more money is worth it. Are some brands more well received than others? Appreciate any info!!

Parents just do some basic sd video watching.

If all they do is watch the channels on 97W a previously owned receiver would be OK. When buying used yes its normally a crap shoot but Radio (the member selling those 2 units I linked to) is on the board all the time and actually owns/runs a radio station in Michigan. So its not like you'll get someone who sells you a receiver then is no where to be found. He's here to help :)

If all they do is watch the channels on 97W a previously owned receiver would be OK. When buying used yes its normally a crap shoot but Radio (the member selling those 2 units I linked to) is on the board all the time and actually owns/runs a radio station in Michigan. So its not like you'll get someone who sells you a receiver then is no where to be found. He's here to help :)

Wow, that sounds great, definitely a relief if I go that route! I get nervous about the posts that say "tested that unit powered on" but thats it. Reason I get nervous is because, technically, my two units "power on" as well. The first one powers on but doesnt pull in signal, and the second wont accept remote commands lol. The Visionsat he actually used which means it works. How does the Visionsat VS Pro compare to the Visionsat IV200??

Appreciate your information!

Can anyone please explain what the big deal with this GEOSATpro microHD receiver is? Seems like everyone is going crazy over it lol. I could wait if you guys think it's worth it.

I thought you had a Viewsat? They are 2 different brands

Visionsat was a receiver that SatelliteAV (one of our sponsors) sold for the Glorystar system (the religious channels also on 97W). They have since gone with their own brand (GeosatPro) and the Visionsat brand kinda went belly up. They are still great receivers and as mentioned before have a usb port so you could hook a hard drive up to record shows.

The MicroHD is more of an advanced receiver that can pick up HD broadcasts and also DVB-S2 which is a newer way companies transmit (allows them to fit more channels on a transponder). The reason alot of us are excited is because right now there isnt a receiver out there that does "most" of what thr advanced hobbyist wants. There are receivers that can record HD or DVB-S2 but they have other issues like some HD feeds it stutters when playbacked. The one I have (Manhattan) does more but there are still some glitches in it. Also the Manhattan sells for $200. So if a receiver comes out that can do more and costs less....I'm on it

Also SatelliteAV is a sponsor and they listen to us when there are upgrades to be made. While they have taken our inqueries and made the MicroHD better once it gets into hobbyists hands we might find glitches or things to make it better. SatAv takes those comments and either fixes the glitches or tries and makes it better

Right, I mixed up Visionsat and Viewsat, sorry! :D

I have actually noticed that sponsor talking with people and trying to figure things out and I do love that. Happens less and less in this day and age. So I guess the microHD is worth the wait (maybe I'll get into this like you guys? ;)). It'd be sufficient and then some for my parents, right?

I guess I'll just wait for it if it is indeed $125...it'll be nice to have a new product and know that i'm getting support for that new product (since it's new, kinda like how Apple has increased support for their newer products since theyre, well, newer), plus what you guys find!

Test12345,
I have a Neusat 6000 or a Fortec Lifetime Ultra that I'll send you for free, if you will pay the postage. Your choice. The FLU does not have a remote, but about any universal should work. They are both SD only and they don't record. Just basic receivers. They both worked fine the last time I used them(a couple of years ago). They probably will need new sats added to the sat list and you can do that manually. The Neusat has the remote and manual with it. They both have factory firmware on them. I would say about $12 postage on either one. PM me if you are interested. Just google these or search here and you should find some info. about them.:)

Wow, thanks a lot for the generous offer! :eek: I'll check out which one of those works with this remote I have and just do some general research like you said and definitely let you know by tonight! Thanks so much!

Test12345,
I have a Neusat 6000 or a Fortec Lifetime Ultra that I'll send you for free, if you will pay the postage. Your choice. The FLU does not have a remote, but about any universal should work. They are both SD only and they don't record. Just basic receivers. They both worked fine the last time I used them(a couple of years ago). They probably will need new sats added to the sat list and you can do that manually. The Neusat has the remote and manual with it. They both have factory firmware on them. I would say about $12 postage on either one. PM me if you are interested. Just google these or search here and you should find some info. about them.:)

I was going to offer up a Fortec as well....

Wow, that sounds great, definitely a relief if I go that route! I get nervous about the posts that say "tested that unit powered on" but thats it. Reason I get nervous is because, technically, my two units "power on" as well. The first one powers on but doesnt pull in signal, and the second wont accept remote commands lol. The Visionsat he actually used which means it works. How does the Visionsat VS Pro compare to the Visionsat IV200??

Appreciate your information!

Can anyone please explain what the big deal with this GEOSATpro microHD receiver is? Seems like everyone is going crazy over it lol. I could wait if you guys think it's worth it.

It makes coffee and has PTO (540 rpm) out the side of it... LOL J/K!!!
it does not make coffee yet.

The new micro has so many features that a diehard FTAer will love. it is coming to us based on much of OUR input on what we like in box!! We can say that we contributed to it in a super small way!!
REAd the gigantic thread on it and it wil be more clear all the cons of many other boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)