Can Both Component and HDMI Be Used For Two Sets?

Joseph Dubin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Bronx, New York
Hi,

I'm thinking of adding a HD set to my second home theater system in the den. Our HD set in the living room is connected via HDMI. Would having the den set connected by component do anything to interfere with the HD handshake? The current tube set is connected via RF and coaxil is used to supply the 5.1 audio.

We will need about 100 feet of RCA cable for each of the three component wires. This creates no loss of signal with RF but would such length between the DVR and monitor cause any degragation in picture quality for HD?

As far as I am aware only 1 HD output can be active on the cable box. For my Slingbox HD, I use composite and use component for the TV from my SA 4250HD. Thankfully my D* HD-DVR keeps both active.

As far as I am aware only 1 HD output can be active on the cable box. For my Slingbox HD, I use composite and use component for the TV from my SA 4250HD. Thankfully my D* HD-DVR keeps both active.

Interesting. Was able to use both HDMI and Component at the same time when comparing which was best for my Sony KD34XBR960. Wonder if that was due to both being connected to the same set?

Interesting. Was able to use both HDMI and Component at the same time when comparing which was best for my Sony KD34XBR960. Wonder if that was due to both being connected to the same set?

You weren't using them at the same time though. They may have been connected at the same time, but they both weren't being used at the same time.

You weren't using them at the same time though. They may have been connected at the same time, but they both weren't being used at the same time.

OK, so this means I can have both sets connected but could only watch one at a time? That's fine since I would have no need to have both on at the same time.

well for my slingbox i cant use the hdmi while it is plugged into the cablebox, and i am going to out to the slingbox using the component cables, also i can use the cablebox with the component cables plugged while i have the hdmi plugged in and i am using my tv

well for my slingbox i cant use the hdmi while it is plugged into the cablebox, and i am going to out to the slingbox using the component cables, also i can use the cablebox with the component cables plugged while i have the hdmi plugged in and i am using my tv

OK, it seems I can save the monthly fee and utilize the box with two sets. No problem, even if both can't be on at the same time since I can still use the RF even if it's not HD.

Thanks everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts