can Dish DVR record signals from another source?

testarc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
This is a newbie question, so please bear with me.

If I have video signal from another source, say directv receiver, or cable box or VCR, can I connect that video source to Dish DVR and record the program?

I understand that I can't change channels, but will manual recording work?

Thanks

This is a newbie question, so please bear with me.

If I have video signal from another source, say directv receiver, or cable box or VCR, can I connect that video source to Dish DVR and record the program?

I understand that I can't change channels, but will manual recording work?

Thanks

I have an old 921 that I use on occasion to record OTA channels. There is no usable guide and you can't set up timed recordings, but you can tune to a channel you get (scan for digital channels first) and then hit record and select manual stop.

Yes you can record digital OTA but the OP was asking about other sources. The answer to his question is that no you cannot record from any of the sources named in the first post.

Yes you can record digital OTA but the OP was asking about other sources. The answer to his question is that no you cannot record from any of the sources named in the first post.

Now, if someone would make one of those Digital OTA converters that worked backward, it would be possible.
Plug in an analog signal from a VCR, and out comes a digital signal into the digital tuner of a 622/722.
But I don't think there is such a thing... yet...

Now, if someone would make one of those Digital OTA converters that worked backward, it would be possible.
Plug in an analog signal from a VCR, and out comes a digital signal into the digital tuner of a 622/722.
But I don't think there is such a thing... yet...

I agree but as has been discussed in other threads there is no low cost way to do this.

I can't speak on all models but I know that the 508, 625 and VIP-622 cannot record from an external source.

Actually I know one source they can record from. Essentially those few that output ATSC signals via COAX.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)