Can Genie access local media files?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bfollowell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Evansville, IN, USA
Well, I took the plunge. I signed up for DirecTV today. They'll be coming to install our Genie and Genie Mini Saturday afternoon. We're really looking forward to it.

I have a question about streaming/accessing local media. I have a local network inside my house but we have no wired high-speed Internet available to us so we won't be streaming YouTube or movies from DirecTV or any of that unfortunately but I was wondering if I connect the Genie to my wireless network, would it be able to access any media files I have on our computers and play them on the television? I hadn't heard if the Genie was capable of acting as a local networked media hub or not.

Thanks.

- Byron

Well, I took the plunge. I signed up for DirecTV today. They'll be coming to install our Genie and Genie Mini Saturday afternoon. We're really looking forward to it.

I have a question about streaming/accessing local media. I have a local network inside my house but we have no wired high-speed Internet available to us so we won't be streaming YouTube or movies from DirecTV or any of that unfortunately but I was wondering if I connect the Genie to my wireless network, would it be able to access any media files I have on our computers and play them on the television? I hadn't heard if the Genie was capable of acting as a local networked media hub or not.

Thanks.

- Byron

I use playon and it works pretty good, every once in a while there will be a little glitch, but its good enough to recommend.

I use serviio. Need to configure the sever to a directv codec but it works great otherwise.

I will also say as a hsp tech that directv doesnt officially support doing this. Yea i know its dumb.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I use Mezzmo and it works well also (already has settings for the Genie and will auto detect).
You'll find the computer on the Genie in: Menu, Extra's, Music and Photo's
Note: Music and Photo's wont show up until you have some kind of media server setup on the computer.. You "can" do it with Windows Media Player, but it's a hassle, and reports are that it doesn't work very well.
I haven't used it in a while, as I bought a separate device to handle streaming to the TV, but last time I checked, there was a glitch in the HR44's software that caused skipping and jumping while streaming from the 'puter...
I'll see if I can check it later and see if it works better now.. Will post an update once I know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts