Can I activate the 622 myself and cancel the installer?

peterson40

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I just received my 622 today and the installer is scheduled for 4/13... I do not want to wait that long and I already have the Dish 1000 installed which is what is needed for Colorado 622 install.

My question is, can I just install it and activate myself or do I have to wait for the installer?

Thanks!

Tim

I would keep trying different CSRs until one says yes. Just make sure they understand that you already have a Dish 1000 and they should do it.

peterson40 said:
I just received my 622 today and the installer is scheduled for 4/13... I do not want to wait that long and I already have the Dish 1000 installed which is what is needed for Colorado 622 install.

My question is, can I just install it and activate myself or do I have to wait for the installer?

Thanks!

Tim

I tried numerous times. They absolutely refused to authorize it without the installer certifying that everything was okay. Mine was ready with good signal strength, locals scanned, latest software and EPG. I asked them to cancel the install and activate. They said they couldn't activate and I would be expected to return the 622. Fortunately, it was only 2 more days till the installer arrived. So I waited. He checked a few menus and made the call.

My question for anyone in that situation is....why not just SAY you're the installer????????

Dish has never tried to verify my credentials during any of my activations or service calls.

Just a random thought...!

If you know the installer , get him to call Dish and activate the unit. That's what I did and got it activated days early and then he still showed up at scheduled time to check things out and do some other stuff unrelated to the 622 install.

622 activation

When I received my 622 a couple of weeks ago and called to activate, the CSR said I had to wait on the installer. He checked with a supervisor who confirmed that I couldn't activate it myself. I ended that call, called back, and went through the menus to tech support.
I told the lady that answered that I would like to activate my 622 which was replacing my 510. She said, "I see you have an install scheduled". I told her to please just cancel the installation. She replied, "No problem, I'll cancel the installation and get your 622 activated. The whole call took 5-10 minutes.
Later, I remembered that I went through the exact same process when self-installing my 942 last year.... :)

Good luck!

Just recieved my 622 and my install is on 4/17. I just called tech support and they said if I feel confident swithing out the 942 and hooking up the 622 myself they could certainly activate the unit for me. Didn't seem like an issue at all so I might just hook it up tonight.

jcvaughan said:
Just recieved my 622 and my install is on 4/17. I just called tech support and they said if I feel confident swithing out the 942 and hooking up the 622 myself they could certainly activate the unit for me. Didn't seem like an issue at all so I might just hook it up tonight.
Great work if you can get it!

That's the biggest problem I see in reading these threads - so much variation in what the subs hear from the providers. I think a LOT of subs are ready (peripheral equipment-wise) and competent to make the simple swap-outs, particularly going from a 942 to a 622, etc. Why shouldn't E* accommodate them, and probably save themselves some money in the process? There could always be a condition placed on it - if the sub screws it up he has to pay the full cost of an installer's visit to correct the problem. That might cause a few to back-off, but I think a high percentage would still take it on themselves. Installers - what's your experience with this?

More power to you, jcvaughan, and enjoy your new toy!

Received 622 Friday. Install set for Wednesday. Presently have Superdish and Dish 500 at 61.5.

Hooked up Sunday, call to activate.

Everything went ok, took awhile for CSR to figure out how, cancelled install.

Just before we finished up, CSR tells me that I lose 90 day warranty doing a self install.

Tell her forget it, and I'll have the install done. She has to redo complete 622 upgrade, even sending me new 622 which she tells me to refuse shipment.

Then tells me they will install Dish1000, because I will need it when Baltimore locals go HD.

New install Wednesday again, present 622 still active.

Won't I still need 105 to get Baltimore locals until they do the transfer off?

I'm so confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts