Can I Cancel D* within a Week of Installation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esmeet

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I finally bit the bullet at Direc* and went with it over cable. I worked out the following deal:

Choice Extra w/ HD-DVR ($54.99 after rebate)
AAA Membership (free Standard DVR upgrade & $10 off each month)
Free HD Programming ($10 off per month)

My install should have been a HD/DVR in the family room (free w/ Choice Extra HD/DVR package), a standard DVR in the master (free with AAA membership), and a plain receiver in the kids' room. I requested a SWM5 installation and was told that would be OK at no additional cost. (I told them I would not get Direc* without that concession.)

When the installer came, he was nice and professional. He walked me through everything and did a good job installing. The only hangup was that his order showed 2 HD-DVRs and a standard DVR. I told him I didn't want to pay the $199 for the "upgraded" receiver in the kids' room, but he assured me I could have the extra HD/DVR receiver at no additional cost. I reluctantly agreed (after confirming with him a couple of times) and took the receiver in that third room.

This morning, I had a large bill charged to my credit card where they charged me $199 for the third receiver. While I'm not shocked, I'm disappointed with their response. They're essentially telling me that I would have to pay to have another installer come out and replace the receiver - or I can pay for the HD-DVR and keep it. I explained that I never wanted the HD-DVR and that it was only when the installer assured me several times that I wouldn't be charged to keep it that I allowed him to install it.

I'm also not seeing my AAA membership discount showing up on that first bill, and I have yet to get a response on that issue (I'm on the phone with them now).

I'm worried that they're just pulling me along now that the installation is done and relying on the fact that I'm "locked in" now to avoid giving me satisfactory service.

Does anyone know if I can cancel my membership within some time frame of the installation and activation? I'd like to have that as a credible threat if the customer service doesn't improve.

Thanks.

I finally bit the bullet at Direc* and went with it over cable. I worked out the following deal:

Choice Extra w/ HD-DVR ($54.99 after rebate)
AAA Membership (free Standard DVR upgrade & $10 off each month)
Free HD Programming ($10 off per month)

My install should have been a HD/DVR in the family room (free w/ Choice Extra HD/DVR package), a standard DVR in the master (free with AAA membership), and a plain receiver in the kids' room. I requested a SWM5 installation and was told that would be OK at no additional cost. (I told them I would not get Direc* without that concession.)

When the installer came, he was nice and professional. He walked me through everything and did a good job installing. The only hangup was that his order showed 2 HD-DVRs and a standard DVR. I told him I didn't want to pay the $199 for the "upgraded" receiver in the kids' room, but he assured me I could have the extra HD/DVR receiver at no additional cost. I reluctantly agreed (after confirming with him a couple of times) and took the receiver in that third room.

This morning, I had a large bill charged to my credit card where they charged me $199 for the third receiver. While I'm not shocked, I'm disappointed with their response. They're essentially telling me that I would have to pay to have another installer come out and replace the receiver - or I can pay for the HD-DVR and keep it. I explained that I never wanted the HD-DVR and that it was only when the installer assured me several times that I wouldn't be charged to keep it that I allowed him to install it.

I'm also not seeing my AAA membership discount showing up on that first bill, and I have yet to get a response on that issue (I'm on the phone with them now).

I'm worried that they're just pulling me along now that the installation is done and relying on the fact that I'm "locked in" now to avoid giving me satisfactory service.

Does anyone know if I can cancel my membership within some time frame of the installation and activation? I'd like to have that as a credible threat if the customer service doesn't improve.

Thanks.
Well , 1st thing, Don't discuss the money subject with installers, as they are not the ones you setup your deal for Equipment or Programming with.
The installer is there to just do that, Install your system! Thats IT!
Right when he showed up with the wrong equipment ,you should have called Directv right away,and discuss the matter.
I find it hard to believe the installer would have upgraded you without Directvs Permission, since the installer is responsible for the equipment they carry.
Installers don't give free Equipment upgrades.
If your work order says SD DVR, and you got an HD DVR then Directv needs to correct the matter.
The HD DVR might have been no extra charge to install, But it costs extra to lease.

I apologize for being OT, but I assume you did get the SWM install? I am getting installed in about a week with almost the exact same order as you, except I did get 2 HD DVRs and one standard receiver. I am REALLY hoping I get SWM because the installer will not be able to get a second cable run to either room with the HD DVRs.

Sorry things have gone sour with your situation. Interesting about the AAA discount not showing up too, I will be on the lookout for that.

Sounds like whoever took your order is where the problem is, since it showed the two HD DVRs, and maybe that's why your AAA discount isn't showing either. Bad sales person, perhaps.

Good luck!!!

I just got resolution on the AAA membership discount. I'm being told that it won't show up until the third billing cycle. :mad: Has anyone else had this happen? Can you confirm that it will eventually show up?

My on-line rebates for the national offer are also not showing up, and I'm told it will take 6-8 weeks before I get those. :mad:

I also ordered the MLB Extra Innings package and was told I'd get the early bird price ($47.25). That wound up not working out either, so I'm getting charged $52.25. (Not a big deal, but this is three mad faces.) :mad:

They have "no record" of my conversations with the representatives who promised me these services, so I'm pretty scared about their future service.

After 2.5 hours on the phone with four different representatives, here's the "final" outcome:

My AAA Membership discount is on the account and will begin showing up in 2-3 billing cycles. (Not happy about that, but I can deal with it.)

I was given the $20 credit on my account for the MLB Extra Innings package at the early bird price. (This was promised to me originally...since I ordered on the last day of the special offer, but I had to go to the cancellation department to get that concession.)

The extra HD-DVR (that should have been a standard receiver) is basically mine and I can't get my $199 back. I didn't want it and I explained (repeatedly) that the installer had assured me that it would be no charge to have it installed, but they said that since I allowed him to install it, I signed the work order, and the service was activated, I'm stuck paying for it. (I really feared this would happen and should not have let the guy install it, but what can you do when the D* installer repeatedly tells you it will be OK after he calls someone and talks to them, etc?) I'm still pretty upset about this and will write a letter to the "higher ups" to complain about this, but I'm planning to buy another HDTV in the next few months anyway, so I'll likely put it to use in the next few months.

They "reset" my on-line rebates and I was able to submit them while I was on the phone. I'm told those will go into effect in 6-8 weeks. (Not happy about how long they take...it's really just a formality...I literally pressed a simple button to "confirm" my rebates. I guess they hope people will forget to to do this and will be stuck paying the extra $21 per month.)

Overall, my first 24 hours with Direc* have been unpleasant. The quality of the TV service is great (I love watching the MLB Extra Innings with tons of games in HD), but having so many things turn out differently than I was told was not pleasant. Here's hoping the next 24 months are better!

As a reply to the person asking about the SWM installation:

I was told that SWM installations were standard for people requesting 5-8 receivers. I thought this was silly since it seems like very few people would have 5-8 TVs in the house. The installer explained that it refers to 5-8 "lines". If you have a DVR, you have 2 "lines", so 2 DVRs and any third receiver should get you a SWM5 installation. If I were you, I'd try demanding a SWM installation if they don't offer it - especially if you're getting 2 DVRs and a third receiver.

With the SWM installation, you do not need two cables running to a DVR. You only need one, which is nice. I remember inquiring about Direc* a few years ago and having the guy tell me how he'd fish a second coax cable into the rooms where I wanted DVRs and how he'd have to drill new holes, etc. It's a big turnoff to hear all that, and I was relieved to hear that one cable could run the DVRs.

The SWM dish and SWM5 switch box seemed to work well. As I mentioned above, my biggest hangup with getting a dish in the past was the holes they drilled in your house. In this case, he ran just one coax cable from the dish down to the existing cable box on the side of our house. The SWM5 box is a small connector that you plug all the different coax cables in to. He did drill one hole in the exterior of the house near the cable box to run the wire coming from the dish in to the cable box. He did not have to do any drilling or pull any wires inside of the house...he simply used the existing coax cables and connected them to the SWM5.

It appears that you can move receivers from one room in the house to others simply by switching the cables that are attached to the SWM box. I have the SWM5 box, but you could also get the SWM8, which would allow for more receivers to be attached.

So, SWM installation was the pleasant surprise of the whole experience. The SWM switch box will certainly lead more people to switch to D*. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who hated the fact that D* installers would drill holes everywhere and have to run 2 cables to each DVR.

That really sucks. I was told repeatedly that the AAA discount will be effective right from the beginning, and that the $21 off national offer would go into effect in immediately if I filed the rebate online before the install, and it does now show on my order. Although I think this early redemption policy went into effect on the 15th, so that probably doesn't apply to you.

That is great to hear about the programming though. :) At the end of the day that's all that really matters and that's the reason I have switched in the first place.

As a reply to the person asking about the SWM installation:

I was told that SWM installations were standard for people requesting 5-8 receivers. I thought this was silly since it seems like very few people would have 5-8 TVs in the house. The installer explained that it refers to 5-8 "lines". If you have a DVR, you have 2 "lines", so 2 DVRs and any third receiver should get you a SWM5 installation. If I were you, I'd try demanding a SWM installation if they don't offer it - especially if you're getting 2 DVRs and a third receiver.

With the SWM installation, you do not need two cables running to a DVR. You only need one, which is nice. I remember inquiring about Direc* a few years ago and having the guy tell me how he'd fish a second coax cable into the rooms where I wanted DVRs and how he'd have to drill new holes, etc. It's a big turnoff to hear all that, and I was relieved to hear that one cable could run the DVRs.

The SWM dish and SWM5 switch box seemed to work well. As I mentioned above, my biggest hangup with getting a dish in the past was the holes they drilled in your house. In this case, he ran just one coax cable from the dish down to the existing cable box on the side of our house. The SWM5 box is a small connector that you plug all the different coax cables in to. He did drill one hole in the exterior of the house near the cable box to run the wire coming from the dish in to the cable box. He did not have to do any drilling or pull any wires inside of the house...he simply used the existing coax cables and connected them to the SWM5.

It appears that you can move receivers from one room in the house to others simply by switching the cables that are attached to the SWM box. I have the SWM5 box, but you could also get the SWM8, which would allow for more receivers to be attached.

So, SWM installation was the pleasant surprise of the whole experience. The SWM switch box will certainly lead more people to switch to D*. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who hated the fact that D* installers would drill holes everywhere and have to run 2 cables to each DVR.

Cool, thanks for all the details. :up That is why it has taken me so long to make the switch too. But since I've reached that "magic" threshold of 5 tuners too, maybe I'll be lucky enough to get the SWM dish.

I would suggest that you talk to your credit card company about the charge DirecTV placed on your account. I think it would be fair enough to argue that it was not an authorized charge - you did not ask for the hardware, the installer insisted it would be free, and you went from there. You can tell them that you've tried to resolve it with them, but they've been unwilling to cooperate. Trust me - credit card disputes are VERY powerful tools. I have a feeling DirecTV will back down very quickly unless they can prove that you authorized them to charge you for the extra hardware.

It's weird to hear about people having to push to get a SWM. When I had my install done, the installer said it was up to me, and that most people go with the SWM. The problem was, I live in the northeast, and it gets cold...and he didn't have a "cold weather" SWM with him. He installed the standard SWM, but it was frozen and locked up within 2 weeks of the install, so he came back out and replaced it with a standard config (which, in the end, wound up having the same number of wires pulled).

Good luck!

OP,

- The AAA discount is already shown on my first bill. Installation was done yesterday.

- The $21/month (for 12 months) discount is not showing up yet even though I applied online for the rebate prior to installation. They say 6-8 weeks for it to take effect.

The issue with your extra HD-DVR is messed up. Hate to hear they are that crooked, sadly to say that kind of service is pretty much expected these days. I hope you get it cleared up.

I would suggest that you talk to your credit card company about the charge DirecTV placed on your account. I think it would be fair enough to argue that it was not an authorized charge - you did not ask for the hardware, the installer insisted it would be free, and you went from there. You can tell them that you've tried to resolve it with them, but they've been unwilling to cooperate. Trust me - credit card disputes are VERY powerful tools. I have a feeling DirecTV will back down very quickly unless they can prove that you authorized them to charge you for the extra hardware.

It's weird to hear about people having to push to get a SWM. When I had my install done, the installer said it was up to me, and that most people go with the SWM. The problem was, I live in the northeast, and it gets cold...and he didn't have a "cold weather" SWM with him. He installed the standard SWM, but it was frozen and locked up within 2 weeks of the install, so he came back out and replaced it with a standard config (which, in the end, wound up having the same number of wires pulled).

Good luck!

CC people probably will not do anything, seeing he SIGNED the Work Order.

The Installer said he would not be charged for the install .... he wasn't, he was charged for the service on the box and the initial fee for the box, not the install.
The installer should have been clearer about this.

OP,

- The AAA discount is already shown on my first bill. Installation was done yesterday.

- The $21/month (for 12 months) discount is not showing up yet even though I applied online for the rebate prior to installation. They say 6-8 weeks for it to take effect.

The issue with your extra HD-DVR is messed up. Hate to hear they are that crooked, sadly to say that kind of service is pretty much expected these days. I hope you get it cleared up.

You all should be considered lucky, there were no such discounts like these back when I signed up ...
your getting a $ 20 AAA discount for a year ?
and a $ 21 discount p/m for a year ?

Thats $ 40 off per month ?

Where can I get that type of deal ?

$ 40 off my current bill would be GREAT !

I'm concerned about the $10/month AAA discount not showing up yet. I got the name and badge number of the last person who told me it would show up in 2 cycles.

Another lesson I learned through all of this is that the "notes" that are kept on your account don't record the person's name who you spoke with. It only records their badge number. If you want to ultimately hold someone accountable for something they tell you, you should ask for their badge number as well. (It would probably be best to ask for this up front and write it down before you discuss anything with them.)

Jimbo, the AAA discount is for $10 off the monthly bill. I was also able to work out a waiver of the HD fee ($10 per month) for the first year along with the $21 per month rebate for the first year. I completely recognize that I'm getting a great deal - that's why I finally decided to switch. I'm happy with the monthly fee (IF they start giving me what they promised), but I'm nervous about the way the sales reps and installers promise the world just to get you set up and then leave you hanging when there's no ultimate accountability on their part for their "promises" not coming true.

I'm getting over things this morning. I watched my Red Sox beat the Orioles in HD last night, and I'm happy to have 3 DVRs in the house now. I'm looking forward with high hopes to Direc* for the next 24 months...it just didn't start out well.

Your $10 AAA discount should have shown up right away. Did you call the special AAA number when you placed the order? It showed up immediately on my account/bill last month when I placed the order, and the rep told me it would as well. Despite the $21 taking 6 - 8 weeks, the most important part is that you will get a full 12-months of that discount once it is applied to your account.

You all should be considered lucky, there were no such discounts like these back when I signed up ...
your getting a $ 20 AAA discount for a year ?
and a $ 21 discount p/m for a year ?

Thats $ 40 off per month ?

Where can I get that type of deal ?

$ 40 off my current bill would be GREAT !

+ 65.99 base monthly service Choice Xtra+ DVR
+ 5.00 2nd receiver monthly fee
- 10.00 AAA monthly discount (24 months)
- 21.00 D* monthly discount (12 months)
=

39.99 for months #1-12
60.99 for months #13-24
70.99 for months #25+
plus tax of course.

This is what I was quoted so hopefully that's what they'll bill me. I'm not holding my breath.

After spending 3+ hours on the phone Saturday and asking to have this issue escalated, I had a message on my machine Sunday afternoon (while I was at church). I called Direc* back this morning, a representative reviewed my notes and heard me tell my story one more time, and then he issued me the refund for the upgraded receiver that I didn't want.

He said the money would be put back on my credit card within 30 days. I just received an e-mail from Direc* telling me that the money had been credited back to my account, so I think this is all going to work out in the end. Happy day!

your mistake in all this was telling dtv you knew it was an hddvr. had you played dumb and said they brought the wrong equipment you probably wouldnt have had to work so hard.

Z

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)