Can I do anything with this receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sparky69

Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
North Carolina
Hi
I'm new here and getting ready to drop my dish network because i was recently layed off from work.
I do have a General Instrument Innovation 450i and big dish that was given to me years ago. I was wondering if I can do anything with it or is it too out of date to use? Some of the new packages I see dosn't look too bad in price (comparing what I was paying for dish every month). But If I can use the one I got it would be better for my empty wallet.

Thanks, Sparky

If your big dish is up and receiver still working, sure you can still find some free tv to watch. Not too much left on analog now but I can always find something interesting. If you have a dish motor with your 450, and the satellites programmed in, grab a simple free to air receiver to go with the big dish. Use the analog 450 to move the dish, there's quite a bit of tv for free on the digital side of the satellites on c-band. Sponsors at top of the page here sell receivers, and more. Most here like the reliable fta receivers, Traxis 3500, Fortec Mercury 2 (now called the Dynamic), and the Coolsat 5000. Some you can find on ebay if you trust shopping for used. Very simple to hook up and use, no subscription required!

Thanks turbosat, I'll look into that. How would I hook the new receiver into the old one? I think I would have to have the old one connected to a different source on the tv in order to see which sat's right? And the new connected to a another source? (on a tv with several different input sources)
No I don't have it set up yet. Didn't have the time with sooo many projects. Now I have a whole lot of time and maybe I can get something done.

Thanks, Sparky

Sparky, I pray that you will have time for all the things that need to be done. Since I retired, my to do list seems to grow by 3 jobs a day and if I get one a day done i am doing good.
The old receiver would probably hook up from the RF out ch3 to the antenna jack of the TV. I daisy chain my receivers that I have in the same room from rf out of one to ANT of the next and out again of the RF out to TV ANT in. But in my case, my extra receiver is my scanning receiver and the other is my Glorystar setup.

:welcome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)