Can I do this

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jvmcdowe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Can I use one of these video transmitter systems? 5.8GHz Audio and Video Transmission System Rather than getting another box, can I hook this up to my current box and then to a TV in another room? How will I controll the channels etc. Please reply directtv for idiots language. Thanks.

If that was supposed to be a link, it wasn't. You will need to use a IR extender or a receiver which has RF remote capability (I think all but the basic D11, etc., can do RF).

You'd be better off to hook an RF modulator to the RCA jacks on the back and run a coax cable, and use a RF remote as described above.

If you are HD tvs, use HDMI for one and component for the other. I'm using component feeds at up to 100ft with no problems, even after going through a 4 port comercial splitter for component feeds (designed for HDTV demos at retail stores)

I've been using the 5.8 ghz transmitter for about 2 years. First with my DirecTivo and now with my HR21. It feeds a SD TV in my bedroom about 30 ft. away from my main AV rack in the living room through 2 walls.

It works ok but just ok, not great or spectacular, just ok. About once a week I have to readjust the antennas a little. For some reason the signal will just go flaky and a little tweak to the bedroom antenna brings everything back.

I would not use this setup with a HD TV, don't think the results would be favorable. Later in the year when I upgrade my bedroom TV to HD, I am either going to install an HD receiver or use video baluns over CAT5.

Status
Please reply by conversation.