Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
My latest find was an old ChannelMaster offset dish lying on the ground next to an auto parts sales place, I asked the owner if he wanted to get rid of it and he said if I wanted to haul it off I could have it. I had to disassemble the thing and it barely fit in the back of my rodeo.

The dish measures approximately 40 inches across both horizontally and vertically and has three metal tubes to hold the offset LNBF in place.

I know this will be a great dish for Ku but I'm wondering, is it big enough to get any C-band? I've read some stuff here about "MiniBUDs" but I fear this may be too much "Mini" and not enough "BUD"?

What LNBF would be suggested? Or am I just asking for frustration?

Your asking for a lot of frustration, you will probably get a few digital channels, but you will have a better chance picking up analog channels.

Of course I am going to say, if you have a C-Band LNB or can easily get one, you have to try it!:D

Well, probably frustration, lol! No , if you have a spare c-band feedhorn/lnb lying around and wanted to waste an afternoon, it might be fun to just see what you can do with a primestar dish. But I doubt you will be able to get very many analog feeds with it, even if you get it rigged to the dish with the right focal distance. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get Pastor Murray on G16, or 99 whatever its called this week. And you might catch a basketball game on G11 or G3 once in a while. Don't think you could get enough usable c band signal to pour into a fta receiver to make it work, just maybe a few very strong signals.
Primestar dish much better suited to what it was made for , ku band. Look on back and see if it says MOLD -OM 1.0 or .90. I''m thinking 1m.

Using a 39 inch dish to recieve some C band channels.

Results are good.

Found out that it gets better signals if the lnb for c band is offset instead of centered.

I can see current channels.

NHK Joho Network Intelsat 9 58.0w......Strong

EDUCON UV Intelsat 805 55.5w......Strong
Fox Soccer Channel Jamaica

Pennsylvania Cable Network
NASA TV feeds) AMC 6 72.0 w......Mid

The Word Network Galaxy 11 91.0 W.....weak

KCSG-TV Galaxy 25 97.0 w......Strong

TV Cu4tro
RCG TV Canal 7
Tele Michoacán
TRC Canal 4
Hidalgo TV SatMex 6 113.0 w.....Strong
Telemax
TV Nuevo León

TV Méxiquense SatMex 5 116.8 w.....weak

SportsTime Ohio
Cox Sports TV
TVW Galaxy 23 121.0 w.....powerful
The Sportsman Channel
HITN-TV

Other channels are unwatachable due to signal bleed

Using same dish with a HH-Mount Motor to recieve ku signals with near flawless reciption.

Last edited:
OK, so I have decided I need to be able to view BBC World 24/7 instead of just the couple of times a day it's on BBC America. It looks like my choices are to subscribe to a provider that carries it, or get it from C-band on Galaxy 13 (127W, I can get this one fine on Ku) or Intelsat 905 (24.5W, not bloody likely, too low, houses and trees in the way).

According to Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 at 127.0°W - LyngSat Maps I am within the 42-43 EIRP area and if I am reading the chart to the right of the map correctly, I believe I should be able to get it with a 75cm dish. Both my motorized oval primestar and the 40-inch dish I started this thread about are bigger than 75cm so it should be feasible, right?

So my questions are:

- what's the absolute cheapest i can subscribe to any of the pay services and get BBC World. It looks like Bell and StarChoice require subscribing to a basic package just like the US providers do. Do any of the pay Ku-DVB providers offer the channel a la carte? This might be a possibility if my new FTA box has a card slot (I'm not even sure if it does, it's a Coolsat 7100, I won't have it till next week). This is the last resort as I don't really want to spend more money especially a recurring subscription.

- How accurate is the EIRP map, will I really be able to get BBC World with a 40-inch channelmaster dish?

- What LNBF would work best for this application? I hope one or more of the sponsors will tell me something they have available for a good price that will do the job, maybe something that can do both C and Ku on the same dish :)

DREAMFOX1, if you don't mind and if you have line of sight to 127, could you check for me if you can get 3800/V/27690? Those results you posted are encouraging.

Last edited:
The signal might be strong but you will most likely pickup adjacent satellites which could interfere. I have a 1.2 Meter dish and I am in the 40 EIRP but I can only pick up BBC World occasionally. :(

Also in the US or this side of the world the card slot is useless since all subscription services require that you use their equipment. :(

I remember reading a while back that PBS was planning on carring BBC World on one of their digital sub channels, still has not happened yet :(

That would be cool, especially since the local PBSHD here is nothing but s t r e t c h-O-v i s i o n the past year, they may as well use the bandwidth for something useful. Maybe it would even be in the PBS mux on AMC3 in that case.

I doubt that it will be made available free until they've exhausted the possibilities of getting it on as many cable and dbs systems as possible.

OK, so I have decided I need to be able to view BBC World 24/7 instead of just the couple of times a day it's on BBC America. It looks like my choices are to subscribe to a provider that carries it, or get it from C-band on Galaxy 13 (127W, I can get this one fine on Ku) or Intelsat 905 (24.5W, not bloody likely, too low, houses and trees in the way).

According to Galaxy 13/Horizons 1 at 127.0°W - LyngSat Maps I am within the 42-43 EIRP area and if I am reading the chart to the right of the map correctly, I believe I should be able to get it with a 75cm dish. Both my motorized oval primestar and the 40-inch dish I started this thread about are bigger than 75cm so it should be feasible, right?

So my questions are:

- what's the absolute cheapest i can subscribe to any of the pay services and get BBC World. It looks like Bell and StarChoice require subscribing to a basic package just like the US providers do. Do any of the pay Ku-DVB providers offer the channel a la carte? This might be a possibility if my new FTA box has a card slot (I'm not even sure if it does, it's a Coolsat 7100, I won't have it till next week). This is the last resort as I don't really want to spend more money especially a recurring subscription.

- How accurate is the EIRP map, will I really be able to get BBC World with a 40-inch channelmaster dish?

- What LNBF would work best for this application? I hope one or more of the sponsors will tell me something they have available for a good price that will do the job, maybe something that can do both C and Ku on the same dish :)

DREAMFOX1, if you don't mind and if you have line of sight to 127, could you check for me if you can get 3800/V/27690? Those results you posted are encouraging.

Will do

Caught LCN at one point. 4076/ H /3076

Will try to fine tune dish after it stops raining.

I have the same results that Qwert has: Occasional on the 1.2m. I wouldn't rule out the motor being off a little, so a fixed dish may give you a better, stable signal. I normally get 26-39 Q on my classic NA. 33 is enough to watch with occasional breakups when it dips below. I really think you'd be wasting your time with the 40in on this sat.......but you never know w/o experimenting :) A fixed 1.2m with the right lnb and feedhorn may be enough for you though. The question is: is it worth it?

"the right lnb and feedhorn" is what I have no idea about. If I can get BBC World then yes, it's worth it.

Right now (this second; a little rain too), I can only get BBC world at 26Q which isn't good enough to watch. I've gotten higher before.

In all honesty, 1.2m offset is the absolute smallest i'd go. A stationary 6 foot prime focus or higher should work fine. A 5 or 6 foot offset would work too IMO but make sure that you get a conial scaler ring.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)