Can I get Directv on two controllers in my camper

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
I have one long cable running from the dish on a tree to the pre-wired satellite system input on the outside of the camper Satellite connection, and into the controller located at the camper living room (working fine). I have Directv working on that 1 controller I have there now.

If I put a second controller in the bedroom and connect it to the inside pre-wired satellite jack in the bedroom, will I be able to see Directv in the bedroom as well, and will I be able to separately control the stations between the two Directv controllers?

Not unless your dish is an SWM dish, or you run multiple cables from the dish and add some sort of multiswitch. Also often the internal wiring in campers uses some type of splitter which won't work with DirecTV.
So:
what type of dish do you have, if it's just SD then it's probably an 18in round dish.
what type of receiver do you have (model number)

Reactions: dcavaiani
I have the older dish (slightly oval, 3 LNB) which now pulls 101 and 119 (local Green bay channels). I have an older SD box, and would want to add an HD box in the bedroom, but I don't think the dish pulls HD. There are 2 "satellite in" connections on my 2017 camper, so I guess I would need to run two cables and determine which one goes to the bedroom and which one goes to the living room, right?

So, what if I change to a SWM dish? How would that simplify things?

Yes, your current dish won't get HD.
You would need a dish with an SWM5 LNB (SWM5 not SWM3, because you need 119). One cable to the RV. Then you would need a 21v power inserter, and a green labelled DirecTV splitter. A 2-way splitter would work, although IMHO a 4-way would be tidier. Then one cable to your HD box, and one cable to your SD box if it is SD compatible. we need the model number.

If your SD box isn't SWM compatible, then a Slimline dish with a regular (non SWM) lnb, and two cables from the dish to your HD box (assuming its a DVR) and one to the SD box (if its just a receiver).

HD = H24-700, SD = D12-100.
------------------------------------------------
Then you would need a 21v power inserter, and a green labelled DirecTV splitter. A 2-way splitter would work, although IMHO a 4-way would be tidier.

(where are these devices placed - what do they look like ???
-------------------------------------------------
Then one cable to your HD box, and one cable to your SD box if it is SD compatible ....

So, must run 2 lines from dish - one to each of the outside camper Satellite connection ?

HD = H24-700, SD = D12-100.
------------------------------------------------
Then you would need a 21v power inserter, and a green labelled DirecTV splitter. A 2-way splitter would work, although IMHO a 4-way would be tidier.

(where are these devices placed - what do they look like ???
-------------------------------------------------
Then one cable to your HD box, and one cable to your SD box if it is SD compatible ....

So, must run 2 lines from dish - one to each of the outside camper Satellite connection ?
Sounds like they have finally made camper with the Sat in mind where it doesn't go directly into the box that controls your TV and Antenna stuff, a good move.

What dish are you gonna be using ?
If you want HD it will have to be a Slimline, the recvrs you've mentioned, you don't need the SWM dish, but it's more convenient.

Seeing you don't have a DVR in the system, you'll only need a line from the dish to each of your Sat input locations.

If you want HD you'll need a dish that hits the 99, 101, 103 and (119 (for your locals), it will also pick up the 110, but you won't probably use that Sat.

OK. Slimline dish with SWM5 LNB (needed for 119)
One cable to the RV
Two way splitter (can be outside but make sure you use outside weatherproof connectors)
One line from splitter to one of the sat inputs on your RV. Connect your D12 to this.
One line from splitter power passing connector (red one) to the other sat input on your RV.
Connect your H24 to this BUT put the power inserter between the input cable and the H24. Make sure the power inserter has power.

OK. Slimline dish with SWM5 LNB (needed for 119)
One cable to the RV
Two way splitter (can be outside but make sure you use outside weatherproof connectors)
One line from splitter to one of the sat inputs on your RV. Connect your D12 to this.
One line from splitter power passing connector (red one) to the other sat input on your RV.
Connect your H24 to this BUT put the power inserter between the input cable and the H24. Make sure the power inserter has power.
This is probably the best option for him to use, seeing it will handle all the options he listed.

He'll need to get a SWM dish with the mentioned SWM5 LNB

Having difficulty finding something to watch? Get a satellite system and service, and never be without great TV again. Whose got the best selection of DIRECTV dish types? Solid Signal does. Purchase this satellite dish for sale and all of your programming problems will disappear!

DIRECTV SL5T-SWM SlimLine Multiswitch Combo is designed with an integrated single wire multiswitch (SWM) which allows you to have multiple satellite Feeds at Once. It also contains a slimline dish reflector and LNB arm, an easy to install Low-Pro Easy mount, and a brace to provide extra support. This dish will receive programming from the 101°, 110°, 119° degree satellites, plus the Ka satellite (99°, 103°) for local HD MPEG4 programming.

The above is the dish and swm lnb, right?

yes, SL5 indicates its the slimeline dish, with a 5 LNB (99,101,103,110,119). the -SWM is the single wire part. your good to go.

Black Mini HD DirecTV Satellite Dish

Wondering if that will work to replace the dish I now have mounted on a tree at permanent campsite? I am worried about getting the full sized slimline up there! Don't know if the Mini will pull 119 SD locals, as one of my 2 receivers will be SWM SD capable only? I have an oval dish up there now which pulls 101 and 119 (locals) with 90's for signals on each satellite, by no HD. Took me many tries to locate it on different trees (as well as cutting a few down ;-0) before I got to these good signals!

Black Mini HD DirecTV Satellite Dish

Wondering if that will work to replace the dish I now have mounted on a tree at permanent campsite? I am worried about getting the full sized slimline up there! Don't know if the Mini will pull 119 SD locals, as one of my 2 receivers will be SWM SD capable only? I have an oval dish up there now which pulls 101 and 119 (locals) with 90's for signals on each satellite, by no HD. Took me many tries to locate it on different trees (as well as cutting a few down ;-0) before I got to these good signals!
Sorry, I hadn't realized this was a permanent site.
How high up is your current dish ?
Personally, I have never seen the dish your describing, but that not what I do, so yes that may be fine, won't know for sure till we see it/look it up to see what it does.
Do you have a link ?

How much smaller is this vs the standard SWM Dish ?
If it says it will pick up the 99 and 103 Sats your good. .. in your case you need the 119 as well for locals.
Make sure you get the right LNB for it.

Never heard of this minidish, which makes me doubt it since if it worked lots of RVers would be using it. And I can't find any recent reference to it using Google.
Some people have modified the Phase III 18x20 dish for HD with mixed results.

I have the phase III about 9 feet up the tree. The plumbed J-Mast may be re-used.

Looks to me that it's a phase III with a slimline lnb attached.
I used this for tailgating and worked well for a temporary setup.
No 119 options
99/103 signal strengths only about 65 to 85.
Not good for permanent application but it you understand what your getting it's ok.

Much easier to store and setup than a full slimline

Doctor j

Looks to me that it's a phase III with a slimline lnb attached.
I used this for tailgating and worked well for a temporary setup.
No 119 options
99/103 signal strengths only about 65 to 85.
Not good for permanent application but it you understand what your getting it's ok.

Much easier to store and setup than a full slimline

Doctor j
That makes perfect sense, and not what I would want!

Is there anything I would be missing with this offer (link below), looks like the slim profile 22 x 32 which is about the best I can expect size wise!

SWM5 Dish Kit with power supply, splitter and braces
GF-URS-6

dtvswm5-a.png

KEY FEATURES

• new Slim Line dish from DIRECTV is smaller, lighter and better looking. This kit comes with a SL5-SWM LNB but is capable of holding a SL5 LNB or a SL3 LNB to receive 101, 110, 119 degree satellites, plus the new Ka/Ku Satellite (99, 103) for local HD MPEG4 programming. LNB INCLUDED.

AUCTION INCLUDES

• 1 x dish reflector (22.5 in. x 32.5 in.)
  • 1x Azimuth/Elevation Mount
  • 1x power supply
  • 1x LNB arm with LNBS attached extends 23.5" from the dish surface area
  • 1x J-Mount Mast
  • 1x mounting brace
  • 1x SWM5 LNB
  • 1x SWM splitter
  • 1x 25ft Coaxial Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)