can i get them to lower my deposit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It is "interesting" (read that as: BullChit) that you can add packages easily and even change base packages on-line easily, but there is NO WAY (at least that I have seen) to drop packages (such as Sunday Ticket) on-line.

I have been lucky (I guess) with D* over the past 10+ years in getting my programming packages changed, but have read of some who have had problems getting packages canceled.
It kept showing up on my package about every 3-4 days after calling to cancel. Not Joking 12 times! Retension gave me some good free stuff for the trouble.

This is why I cautioned folks not jump into conclusion. We are not talking about someone calling DirecTV ask for refund because it turned out he could not watch the programming in the last few months. Rather after ordering a package, circumstances changed he realized he would not be able to watch it, and wanted to cancel the package and be refunded for the remainder of the season.

Now I know with sports packages it is not as easy to cancel as other programming packs. But still if something happens to someone, for example he changed job and is now required to work on Sundays, is it reasonable to say tough luck that you can no longer watch it, but the money is not refundable?

so is there anyway i can get them to lower my deposit or am i stuck paying $400 if i want directv activated again?

So you ordered programming, weren't home to watch it, and you wanted them to reimburse you the charges??

Are you f'ing kidding me??

So, for all the days I don't watch HBO each month, can I call DirecTV for a pro-rated refund??

C'mon now...
Kind of what I was thinking. Did I miss something here? Is there some huge part of the story that I didnt see? Because if not, I dont see how you( the O.P.) can reasonably think that you are entitled to have it refunded, or why you would be shocked that they want a large deposit

Rather after ordering a package, circumstances changed he realized he would not be able to watch it, and wanted to cancel the package and be refunded for the remainder of the season.
Did I miss that part?

so is there anyway i can get them to lower my deposit or am i stuck paying $400 if i want directv activated again?
I would say no! And when this Happends again ,and you cancel Early. I'll post the Customer Agreement ,for all you Non believers that D* can't charge your credit card for total Balance owed upon cancelling:

(e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. """""""You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date.""""""

And Here's the link for the entire Directv Customer agreement:
DIRECTV - Customer Agreement

Last edited:
I would say no! And when this Happends again ,and you canel Early. I'll post the Customer Agreement ,for all you Non believers that D* can't charge your credit card for total Balance owed upon cancelling:

<contract reference deleted>

That part doesn't apply to the OP as he is going to pay them only with money orders drawn on a bank in the cayman islands )or some such), not via a credit card. Why will D* allow him to do that? Because he is so special, just ask him! :D Normal rules don't apply to him.

IMO, the OP is a troll that needs to get back under the bridge and collect more tolls. :)

Kind of what I was thinking. Did I miss something here? Is there some huge part of the story that I didnt see? Because if not, I dont see how you( the O.P.) can reasonably think that you are entitled to have it refunded, or why you would be shocked that they want a large deposit

Did I miss that part?

Nope, on both counts, he never explained why he owed so much and thought it justified not to pay, except for some non-sense.

I was looking at my bill today and this is what is under activity since last bill:
03/07/2008 Writeoff/Nonpay .

Does this mean I can't get an account with directv anymore?

I was looking at my bill today and this is what is under activity since last bill:

Would you be suprised by this?

Honestly at this point, it seems that you are just trying to see what kind of reaction you can get.

If they wrote it off you won't be able to get service until the $1000 is paid. Consider yourself on Directv blacklist and now your credit will be screwed too.

that must be why the guy never called me back this past saturday like he said he would.

If they wrote it off you won't be able to get service until the $1000 is paid. Consider yourself on Directv blacklist and now your credit will be screwed too.
If they wrote him off, That means they reported it as a loss. $1000 no longer exists. This would have affected his credit rating ,and if he ever want D* again thats where the $400 comes in. He won't have to pay the $1000 if Directv wrote it off! But this had to have been years of being past due for Directv to write off a past due account, it was in collections for years I'm sure,but its not reported as a loss while in collections. 60 or 90 days late isn't going to cause Directv to write off $1000. Most companys let this haunt you for atleast 5-7 years before they write it off.

I can tell you how to get it wiped out completely but after reading your posts here I dont think I will.:hatsoff:

To others on this thread the $400 is something my wife ran into when she went through whitefence.com to get a bundled service plan with a garaunteed life time rate plan, directv charged her card $450 for an h21 and a standard receiver so we cancelled that deal and I redid it another way and not once was I asked for a CC and there was no deposit required.

If they wrote him off, That means they reported it as a loss. $1000 no longer exists. This would have affected his credit rating ,and if he ever want D* again thats where the $400 comes in. He won't have to pay the $1000 if Directv wrote it off! But this had to have been years of being past due for Directv to write off a past due account, it was in collections for years I'm sure,but its not reported as a loss while in collections. 60 or 90 days late isn't going to cause Directv to write off $1000. Most companys let this haunt you for atleast 5-7 years before they write it off.

Yep his credit is screwed and now he will start paying deposits for alot of things and it will stay as a hit to his credit report for 7 years. Don't forget that a collection agency will probably buy the debt and harass him to no end. Oh what a tangled web he has made for himself. And I'm sure since I have a friend that works for D* that he will have to pay higher than $400 dollars now to get service, thats if they let him at all since they wrote it off.

i'm calling them tomorrow to figure out how to get my service reactivated. Maybe we can work out a payment plan or something like hospitals do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.