Can I have a receiver in my detached garage?

HiDefGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Tidewater, VA
Receiver in my detached garage ?'s

I have a 2 story garage with in-law suite in the back of my yard (about 175ft away). I have a dish tech coming Thursday to install the 1000.2 and two 722s, one for the garage. I have 2x RG-6 already ran from the dish to the garage. Will the installer be ok with that? I didn't know if there is a rule about detached structures and service...

Also, think I'll have any problems with the 2nd box being almost 200' away? Will having one box so close to the dish help out?

Last edited:
I don't think it will be a problem, it is still on your property at one location.

From what I have heard if Dish audits you then you need to be able to give them information from the receiver.
If you can get to the receiver in a reasonable amount of time,
or have it hooked up to the same phone line (same phone number) it should not be a problem.

I doubt he'll give you a problem saying as it's all from one dish, not a separate one for each location.

The audit wouldn't be a problem, you can get there easily, but to make things easier, just run a phone line there too. Or add the phone line of the garage (assuming there is one) to your account.

Only distance problem would be signal loss over the 200'. I doubt you'll have anything considerable over that distance, but if you do, an inline amp might work. I've done a 275 foot length without a problem before.

It has a vonage line out there, so it will be hooked up to a phone, just not the same number as the house. It is on my property. We sit on about 2 acres.

So the installer shouldn't give me any beef about it?

What about the receiver working? Do I have any advantage having another receiver within 50ft of the dish/switch?

for what you spent (money, time, effort) on running two cables that distance you could probably have put up a dedicated dish.

I have a 2 story garage with in-law suite in the back of my yard (about 175ft away). I have a dish tech coming Thursday to install the 1000.2 and two 722s, one for the garage. I have 2x RG-6 already ran from the dish to the garage. Will the installer be ok with that? I didn't know if there is a rule about detached structures and service...

Also, think I'll have any problems with the 2nd box being almost 200' away? Will having one box so close to the dish help out?

I don't anticipate any problems since you took the initiative and ran the cable from the dish to the garage. Very classy of you, actually :).

The only time I've ever seen it become an issue is when the distance was too great and the customer ended up actually having two separate accounts at the same property.

for what you spent (money, time, effort) on running two cables that distance you could probably have put up a dedicated dish.

Separate dish, separate acct? Actually, the garage sits around tress, so that wouldn't have worked.

I have about $100 into it. No big deal. If I have too much loss, I could run RG-11 for less loss.

Just because you have a 2nd dish does not mean 2nd account. Have seen DNS install 2 dishs on a house due to not having DPP twins, easier than cable runs etc. The installer should have no beef as its the same property. The different number for the garage 722 will be a flag for the audit nazis though. One other question. Is the garage heated? The hard drives in DVRs do not like the cold. Tried this once and the disk would not spin up when it was too cold.

I don't think he'd need a second account. Hell, the garage is part of the curtilage of his property. So what if he has two dishes going to two receivers. It still has the same address.

Oh yeah, the place is heated. It has its own kitchen too. Will make a great rec room.

Again, due to trees, I couldn't put a dish out there.

It shares electricity and water with the house. There isn't any way to say its not part of my property. It isn't rented out (city says I couldn't if I wanted to).

Can the 722's work over an internet connection? I could connect it that way. There is a fiber link b/t the house and garage, they share the same internet connection too.

I didn't know anything about "audits"...

Ok, I've been reading about this audit crap, and now I'm concerned.

Should I just have them hook up the two boxes to my two tvs in the house (right now its one 942 doing the TV2 thing)? I can set up TV2 again and just move the damn box later. I don't want any problems.

It shares electricity and water with the house. There isn't any way to say its not part of my property. It isn't rented out (city says I couldn't if I wanted to).

Can the 722's work over an internet connection? I could connect it that way. There is a fiber link b/t the house and garage, they share the same internet connection too.

I didn't know anything about "audits"...

You have two choices that will work. Since they're on the same power circuit, you can use DishCOMM to allow the units to connect over the powerline and then you'd only need to have one connected to a phone line. The other option would be to connect both units to the internet and allow them to "phone home" that way.

This should not be any problem. As long as the tech does not have to go through a bunch of crap to do it.

A tech will get pissy about it when the customer EXPECTS the tech to trench cable to the garage for free. Because thats what Dish (and it's never Dish it's some retailer) told him free install.

If you already have cable and a phone in the garage leading back to the point in the house where the other cable lines are, the tech should be happy to install it.

I will need to do some work to hook up the house DVR to the internet (buy a wifi dongle). But I can hook them both up by internet.

So, what do I do. Try to have them install the second receiver in the garage (the second floor is where its going), or just let them install it in the house and I'll do the rest later.

A third option might be to not have them hook up the 2nd box at all and say I'll do it later?

This should not be any problem. As long as the tech does not have to go through a bunch of crap to do it.

A tech will get pissy about it when the customer EXPECTS the tech to trench cable to the garage for free. Because thats what Dish (and it's never Dish it's some retailer) told him free install.

If you already have cable and a phone in the garage leading back to the point in the house where the other cable lines are, the tech should be happy to install it.

Honestly I'd rather him leave the box and I'd take care of it myself later. There is no labor to be done.

I was reading this thread and it had me concerned about a tech "reporting" it:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/108084-inlaw-apartment-2.html

I'm pretty sure that you would only need one connected to the internet anyway. The other one should be able to share that connection over the DishCOMM powerline network. I don't have two, so I can't verify, but it should work. I wouldn't worry about the install.

as long as the cableing is good I don't see why not. ONly thing is you may want to buy an amplifier for the out building. Dish recommends that the switch be nore more than 200 linear feet from the fist reciver. So if the tech mounts the switch n the main house, the loss may be significant enought to warrant an amp...They aren't that expensive. But you should ask the tech about it.

Yeah thats the thing, the detached garage with room doesn't have a street address, and in the city meeting I had to go to, can't be rented out, must only be occupied by immediate family if someone did live there, and it shares all other utilities with the main house.

I am just back and forth b/t just saying hook it up to the bedroom tv and I'll do it myself later, or taking a chance and asking for the second box to go out in the room over garage. I don't want my tech support screwed up. And I will put both boxes on the internet connection.

The only problem could be the cable you ran to the garage for that length it should be RG-6 solid copper center conducter tested to at least 2.5 gig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)