Can I paint my box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
OK, I know this is probably a really stupid question, but is it possible(safely)/advisable/allowable to paint my HR20 a different color?

Now that I have my new TV, it is the only component in my entire setup that is not black, and it also happens to be the only one that is clearly visible all the time - the combination is a little annoying...

I'm thinking that since I'm actually leasing this box, I can't do it, but thought I'd ask anyway, and see if anyone has any experience with it.

i dont think its allowed.. hmm leased you know... its just like leasing a a blue car wanting to paint it black.. now im sure that if you fully pay for it you could do as you wish with it.. (if you ever do) would love to c some pictures, that would be a first

From reading the title alone, there's a dirty joke in here somewhere, but I'll just leave it alone. ;)

But like the previous poster said, I doubt it if it's a leased receiver.

OK, I know this is probably a really stupid question, but is it possible(safely)/advisable/allowable to paint my HR20 a different color?

Now that I have my new TV, it is the only component in my entire setup that is not black, and it also happens to be the only one that is clearly visible all the time - the combination is a little annoying...

I'm thinking that since I'm actually leasing this box, I can't do it, but thought I'd ask anyway, and see if anyone has any experience with it.

Wouldn't it be easier to get an RF remote and hide your box?

Wouldn't it be easier to get an RF remote and hide your box?

I'm using the RF function on my remote now and it's working fine, so I could put it somewhere else... the issues are these:

1. My entertainment center has doors on both of the side compartments that hide components, but the middle section is open.
2. My DVR is in the open, middle section because it's the one that's pretty much always on when the TV is, so I wanted it to have the best ventilation.
3. I don't want any of my other components to be out in the open, either because the cable runs wouldn't work as well, I don't like the way they look (even more than the gray HR20) or because I don't want them out in the open where my kids can get to them (PS3).

I don't plan on getting rid of my service... my biggest concern is that in a year or two when there's a better box out there and I try to upgrade, they'll want me to send this one back. Guess I'll just try to figure something else out... my wife's been wanting a new entertainment center anyway.

I am sure you could paint it and no one would ever know. Every time I have had a equipment upgrade or replacement, DTV never wants the old stuff back. I have a few H10's, a H20, all working they do not want. Only hard part about painting wopuld be to be able to do a good job. That would entail dis-assembly of the box, painting it, then putting it back together. LOL, would be a real problem covering the IR sensor, Def lights or having the buttons get stuck.

You could get a metal box to cover it, loads of vent holes, and smoked glass over the front.

You have a $1500 TV and a $600 gaming system (you should have gone with the Xbox 360, by the way). Don't worry about potentially having to pay for your box later. Do what you want and if you have to pay later, so be it.

I am sure you could paint it and no one would ever know. Every time I have had a equipment upgrade or replacement, DTV never wants the old stuff back. I have a few H10's, a H20, all working they do not want. Only hard part about painting wopuld be to be able to do a good job. That would entail dis-assembly of the box, painting it, then putting it back together. LOL, would be a real problem covering the IR sensor, Def lights or having the buttons get stuck.

You could get a metal box to cover it, loads of vent holes, and smoked glass over the front.

I figured there would be disassembly and serious masking involved.... but the buttons and not having them get stuck would definitely be the hardest part, although I rarely use them anyway...

how about this... get a smoke or black of plexiglass cut to size and attach it to the front with some velcro.oooo,,, oops i have to say this,,, LOL,,,, now thats thinking outside the box.

If you paint it, hope it doesn't break down. I'm sure you will have voided the warranty by opening it up in the first place.

This is more of a general statement, but the fact that few component manufacturers give customers a choice as to faceplate cover is one thing I'll never understand. A manufacturer that built their device with some sort of removable/replaceable faceplate, or even one that sold two versions of a unit, one in each color, would probably win a lot of business - I'm sure there are quite a few folks out there who choose not to buy component X because it has a silver or black faceplate that clashes with everything else they have.

Have you though about a vinyl wrap on the front? I'm not sure where you could buy something like that but it wouldn't be permanent and would seem to form fit better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)