Can I put up a new dish without a 12/24 month contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

songkrai

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
New England
Everything works fine with my Direct system. Two Hughes 5500 receivers operate fine. I have an old dish on roof. No problems.

I have two old CRT televisions that work fine.

At some point in the future, I will be purchasing a new TV. And at some point I would like HDTV.

I have been told that the Slimline 5 will operate with my older receivers and any new HD receiver that I may obtain.

I have no contract now with Direct. I do not wish to have a contract again.

Direct tells me that if I have any different dish placed on my roof that this will automatically initiate a 24 month contract - even if my receivers remain the same.

So my questions to all are does this sound correct?

And, if I have a private contractor put a Slimline 5 on roof does Directv need or have to be contacted when this is put in? In other words, even if I obtained a used Slimline 5 dish and put it in myself - does Direct need to be notified?

If you got your own dish and had it installed, there is no way for Direct to put you in a contract. If they come out and install it, there would be.

When you get a new receiver, and if you want HD you will need one, there will be a contract.

Everything works fine with my Direct system. Two Hughes 5500 receivers operate fine. I have an old dish on roof. No problems.

I have two old CRT televisions that work fine.

At some point in the future, I will be purchasing a new TV. And at some point I would like HDTV.

I have been told that the Slimline 5 will operate with my older receivers and any new HD receiver that I may obtain.

I have no contract now with Direct. I do not wish to have a contract again.

Direct tells me that if I have any different dish placed on my roof that this will automatically initiate a 24 month contract - even if my receivers remain the same.

So my questions to all are does this sound correct?

And, if I have a private contractor put a Slimline 5 on roof does Directv need or have to be contacted when this is put in? In other words, even if I obtained a used Slimline 5 dish and put it in myself - does Direct need to be notified?

If you got your own dish and had it installed, there is no way for Direct to put you in a contract. If they come out and install it, there would be.

When you get a new receiver, and if you want HD you will need one, there will be a contract.

You can buy any dish you want and put it up, but the important part is what Liquid said : IF you want HD, you'll need new recvrs, the ones you have now will only decode SD.

Yes, the Slimline 5 will handle everything your looking for .

You will need a new dish and receiver, as they mentioned. 2 year commitment either way, call DirecTV, they will probably do it cheap for you given the commitment.

Phase 1.

At present all I want to do is replace my old dish with a Slimline 5 dish.

From reading above I can do this and Direct does not need to be notified. No 24 month contract.

Direct tells me that for them to do this the cost here is $49.00 AND a 24 month contract.

If I do this myself or hire an independent - no need to contact Direct and zero no 24 month contract.

I think this is what I am reading above.

Phase 1.

At present all I want to do is replace my old dish with a Slimline 5 dish.

From reading above I can do this and Direct does not need to be notified. No 24 month contract.

Direct tells me that for them to do this the cost here is $49.00 AND a 24 month contract.

If I do this myself or hire an independent - no need to contact Direct and zero no 24 month contract.

I think this is what I am reading above.

Correct!

Since you probably don't need a new dish until you're roped into a 24 month contract anyway, I would suggest you not waste your time or money upgrading the dish at this time.

Why would you purchase a slimline and install it yourself or pay someone to install it for you but then not have HD access? I would wait until you want HD access and need to order the HD receivers from Direct TV. They will probably provide a slimline and installation for FREE and you can probably get at least one of the HD receivers for free....of course then you would have the 24 month contract.

I guess I don't understand why you want a slimline dish prior to when you will have HD access. As mentioned, if you want HD access you will need to get new HD capable receivers.

EDIT: WOW.....I agree with Harsh on something...LOL. We were posting at the same time...scary we think alike.

Last edited:
Why would you purchase a slimline and install it yourself or pay someone to install it for you but then not have HD access? I would wait until you want HD access and need to order the HD receivers from Direct TV. They will probably provide a slimline and installation for FREE and you can probably get at least one of the HD receivers for free....of course then you would have the 24 month contract.

I guess I don't understand why you want a slimline dish prior to when you will have HD access. As mentioned, if you want HD access you will need to get new HD capable receivers.

EDIT: WOW.....I agree with Harsh on something...LOL. We were posting at the same time...scary we think alike.

I agree !

What do you agree with, that's it's scary that anyone would think like the basset hound? ;)

I agree that it would seem useless to buy and put up a Slimline if your not getting HD to go with it.

If he's getting every channel he wants and doesn't need HD now .....

If he calls D* when he wants to change to HD, they will come out and put the dish in for free, however it sounds like the OP is trying to avoid a commitment, as soon as he goes HD, he'll have one regardless.

I agree that it would seem useless to buy and put up a Slimline if your not getting HD to go with it.

If he's getting every channel he wants and doesn't need HD now .....

If he calls D* when he wants to change to HD, they will come out and put the dish in for free, however it sounds like the OP is trying to avoid a commitment, as soon as he goes HD, he'll have one regardless.

As usual, you are correct!

No, there are ways to avoid a commitment. I may not get local channels (here) though.

Is there a connection between avoiding a commitment and not getting local channels?

It is called "moving" in with the relatives.

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with putting up a dish to avoid a commitment, unless he intends to use an hd receiver that isn't his. I'm guessing that's his intention. If so, this thread is likely over.

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with putting up a dish to avoid a commitment, unless he intends to use an hd receiver that isn't his. I'm guessing that's his intention. If so, this thread is likely over.

Yeah this thread is just too fishy for it to really be something legal going on here.

Simple enough explanation: Snowbird.

Two homes - one account. Only one used at one time.

That's different, but why the need for a Slimline at the other residence if you are going to use your old sd receivers?

Simple enough explanation: Snowbird.

Two homes - one account. Only one used at one time.

Why were you hiding this info ?
Buy a Slimline, take an extra recvr from your home with you.

However, like Chip said, it still doesn't answer the need for a Slimline if your not getting HD channels.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)