Can I receive DISH-HD over DIRECTV-HD DISH

Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
I am currently a directv hd customer. I would like to possibly like to try dish hd and get one of the r500 boxes so that i can use my pc as a pvr. or some other sat service that can be conected to my pc for archiving. I currently have a hauppauge 250 capture card connedted via svideo. I do not like the picture quality I want a better quality.

the difference is in the switches that are built into the lnbf's for both directv and dish. but there is a way to do it. if you can find yourself an older elliptical dish from directv then you can do both directv and dish, because they are setup to house 3 single lnbf's instead of like a triple lnbf wich has a the multiswitch built inside. for directv you would need to have 1 lnb at the 101 position and the other at the 119. for dish you need to have them setup at the110 and the119 position, and make sure you bypass the multiswitch that is sometimes housed on the back of those dishes. good luck

joejokidd said:
the difference is in the switches that are built into the lnbf's for both directv and dish. but there is a way to do it. if you can find yourself an older elliptical dish from directv then you can do both directv and dish, because they are setup to house 3 single lnbf's instead of like a triple lnbf wich has a the multiswitch built inside. for directv you would need to have 1 lnb at the 101 position and the other at the 119. for dish you need to have them setup at the110 and the119 position, and make sure you bypass the multiswitch that is sometimes housed on the back of those dishes. good luck
I have an older Oval Directv Dish and would like to switch over but I have a question about once the output for the 110 and 119 and 61.5 come out of the lnb's they join up to a Sw ?? switch. Correct? If I wanted to run the Dish output to more than one TV ...would I then run it to a multiswitch or is there switches that come with more than one output?

vinnyv07 said:
I have an older Oval Directv Dish and would like to switch over but I have a question about once the output for the 110 and 119 and 61.5 come out of the lnb's they join up to a Sw ?? switch. Correct? If I wanted to run the Dish output to more than one TV ...would I then run it to a multiswitch or is there switches that come with more than one output?

if you are wanting to use 3 satellite locations with legacy lnbs, you will need to make sure they are all dual lnb's, and bring them into a SW64 switch, and yes, you know you will be able to run 4 receivers off of that.

birddoggy said:
if you are wanting to use 3 satellite locations with legacy lnbs, you will need to make sure they are all dual lnb's, and bring them into a SW64 switch, and yes, you know you will be able to run 4 receivers off of that.
OK ....if I run the three sats into that switch can I run the output of the switch to a multiswitch? And also....if I needed to, can I run the output of the switch to a combiner and combine an OTA signal with the dish signal? Or do they need to have seperate coax runs?

vinnyv07 said:
OK ....if I run the three sats into that switch can I run the output of the switch to a multiswitch? And also....if I needed to, can I run the output of the switch to a combiner and combine an OTA signal with the dish signal? Or do they need to have seperate coax runs?

the SW64 is a multiswitch... how many recievers are you wanting to run? the SW64 has 4 outputs on it, and yes, you can use Diplexers to combine the OTA and the satellite feeds together, between the switch, and the receiver.

Im would probably want to run three receivers into the house. But Im under contract with Direct and would like to just sub to the HDpack from Dish for now. So I would just connect the LNB's to the SW 64 and then run it into the diplex. Thanks alot for your help.

Hi, I'm trying to do something of the same in reverse. I have a dish 500 system and have just switched to direct tv. could i use this "dish 500" dish with my direct tv receivers.

thanks

Depends on the setup. If the Dish LNB is a Twin, then ti won't work. If its 2 duals, you can aim it for 101 & 110...you would need a LNB for 119 :)

you can't use a dish 500 lnb to get directv signal it will not work. its the way that the switch inside the lnb converts the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts