Can I reuse D* cables for E* new install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

akaRadar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
My house has had an old DirectTV installed in it before. The old dish and cable run are still there. The cable from the dish to the receiver location is actually two cables combined together. There are two 'F' connectors (I think there called) on the ends of the cable. This cable could be leftover from a older Primestar install, as I found and old Primestar Dish on the ground close by. I haven't found any markings on this cable to ID it. I am suppose to have a new install of my 811 this week and wondered if I could reuse the old cable instead of having a new cable run.
Also how much difference is there in where the E* dish has to point compared to the D* dish? I live close to Dallas TX for reference.

Thanks!
Bill

More than likely you have dual RG-6. It will be compatable with your new SAT system. It is rated @ 2200 mhz.

As for the second part of your question, they are close but not close enough. I am in Arkansas and my E* points about 20 degrees further west than my D*.

In your location:
D* points to compass 181 with elevation of 51.7
E* points to compass 204 with elevation of 47

My Dad had Primestar as well as I did and when he was converted to Directv they used the same cables from the primestar dish and the existing cable from the old cable company from years ago. It all worked well. He now has Dish and they just switched out the dish and used the same cables as the origional ones. I am using the same cables from Primestar as well with Dish. I guess it depends on wether they are RG 6 or not. Ours were.

Thanks for your replies! I'm afraid having to point the dish further west and down a little may put it out of range since my house is right to the west . It would make the installer happy if it does work :D
Thanks again, Bill

akaRadar said:
Thanks for your replies! I'm afraid having to point the dish further west and down a little may put it out of range since my house is right to the west . It would make the installer happy if it does work :D
Thanks again, Bill

How far from the house is the pole? Also, how tall is your house, one or two story?

You may very likely be able to get away with using the same pole as long as your house is single story, and the pole is far enough from the house.

"How far from the house is the pole? Also, how tall is your house, one or two story?

You may very likely be able to get away with using the same pole as long as your house is single story, and the pole is far enough from the house. "

The pole is almost 7 feet from the house. The house is single story, but it is almost as tall as a 2 story house. It has an extremely high pitch roof and the attic is big (tall) enough to walk all around in and never hit your head. It's an older (1936) home. The pole is about 4 foot high.

Thanks

akaRadar said:
"How far from the house is the pole? Also, how tall is your house, one or two story?

You may very likely be able to get away with using the same pole as long as your house is single story, and the pole is far enough from the house. "

The pole is almost 7 feet from the house. The house is single story, but it is almost as tall as a 2 story house. It has an extremely high pitch roof and the attic is big (tall) enough to walk all around in and never hit your head. It's an older (1936) home. The pole is about 4 foot high.

Thanks

Doesn't sound like they'll be able to use the pole. (They will be able to tell you for sure.) The next best bet would probably be to mount it on the edge of the roof, or on the fascia. Another option would be to pay the extra bucks for the installer to put in a new pole a few feet further east of the first. Of course that'll involve trenching new line. You would probably be looking at $50-100 for the ground mount.

BTW, if the dish does have to go on the house, at least they can still use the cables that are ran into the house. That is - as long as you want the TV in the same place. It would also make it easy to hook up a 322/522/721/921 receiver in the future with the dual lines already ran.

they could use the pole.If they take the mount for the roof and some quarter inch all thread,rap it around the pole you can get some extra clearance and heighth.I have done this before in the same situations and it worked out well without relocateing the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)