Can i still record on TV 2 and watch on TV 1 if I have a Tivo connected to TV 1?

Let's hope it's a different tech than the character (I'm being nice) you got the first time!

DIRT are great members of the forum. They have solved problems for many of us, myself included. I've had Dish for close to 20 years. I go back to when you had to buy your own equipment and install it yourself. Fwwl free to ask any question here in the forum. If my techno-phobe wife can master Dish, I'm sure you will also.
Many of us, again myself included, were confused at first about the terminology. It's easier to think of it as Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 and Output 1 and Output 2. I wish Dish had used those terms instead of TV1/2 for both.

He just wanted to get home to his 4 kids. I'd ask him a question and he'd grab the remote and do it and not show me. He went over the basics of how to record and that was it. And he showed me PIP because I asked. And because I had no idea how this worked (my frame of reference is Tivo), I didn't know what to ask because I thought it was the same.

I'll report back tomorrow or Saturday. Wish me luck!

I don't think he was a newbie. Just wanted to get home. I'm going to get organized and give my brain a break since i'm on overload. But now I understand more so I'll actually know what to ask. A lot of this could have been resolved with a quick 10 minute lesson the other day.

I think you don't get PIP on a 722 w/o being in solo mode. This IMHO is the mode you want. That way, you can't get into a recording mode where you have no tuners left for live TV unless you have both sat tuners recording something. In that case, remember that you can plug your antenna into the 722 as well, and gain a 3rd tuner.

Last edited:
I'm in Solo mode now and it is doing something that people here said it wouldn't. I have a list of questions for the tech tomorrow to try to figure this out. Once I see what is what I can pick your brain about an antennae. Right now my brain is much thinking about this. But I'd still like to figure out using Tivo as another recording option.

My remote is here. That is fine for my LR but it is still a huge problem in my bedroom when I'm in the dark. I can't believe there is no other option for me.

In solo mode, you see the same thing on both TV1 and TV2 outputs. You can use either remote to control that output. Recordings will automatically go to the TV2 tuner, leaving the TV1 tuner for viewing live. If you record two things off sat at once, then you're stuck watching one of them, or else watching a prerecorded program, or else watching a VOD program off the Internet.

That is not what happened before. I was recording one thing on channel 9 on TV1 and on both tv's I was able to watch 2 different programs on each TV.

I'm past the point of understanding. Nothing makes sense. I'm a visual learner. I have to look at things to understand which is why the tech coming is so good.

And by the way. The only thing good about the new remote is the button size. It is ridiculously heavy with 4 batteries. Dish has zero concern about having things accessible for the disable.

Well, they have a little concern or they wouldn't have come out with the big-button remote at all. ;) I very much agree with you that Dish should have a backlit remote. (Maybe they do and I haven't seen it yet.)

The problem is it takes 4 batteries that are on the bottom so all the weight is there. I can't use it because it causes shooting pain up my wrist.

You do realize that your TiVo is not going to show any program data for your recordings; it will read "Manual Recording" using TV2. Your additional problem is that your TiVo will not be able to control TV2. You could use TV1 instead for your desired experience. As a TiVo owner (Series 3; HD; Premiere and Premiere XL; Roamio), I must say that Dish DVR's a far from "beyond horrible" and there are some things the Dish DVR's do better. As good as TiVo is, the Dish DVR's are, overall superior. I think sometimes some people get afflicted with the "Ugly Duckling" syndrome and if another product isn't exactly like "momma" it is deemed "beyond horrible" Both DVR's (Dish and TiVo) sometime make me pull out my hair. Please, you can't say TiVo has some limitations or some screwy or even utterly unreliable (entire Premier line mostly as far as slow as molasses and stuck on black screen with small picture trying to load TiVo Cental for over an HOUR) fits, as well.

It is simple, put the 722 in single mode. Forget about what tuner it records on,forget TV1 or TV2 everything recorded can be watched on both TVs.

And I just tried to schedule another timer at 9 PM. There is one show set to record at 9 on tv 1 so it should have set it up for tv2 and it said there was a conflict. So WTH?
You probably need to increase the priority of the program that only shows once to be higher than that of the program that shows up multiple times.

The more last-minute or live manual tinkering you do, the more it confounds the automatic scheduler; especially when you cancel recordings that are in progress. Rather than interacting and intervening on a constant basis, consider setting everything up with appropriate priorities and leaving it alone. If it doesn't work, present the circumstances and maybe we can help find a solution.

The long-term secret to success is to plan on watching as much as possible from recordings. In that way, you're not always competing with the DVR scheduler for tuner access.

Two HWS - Can I use Sling from either

New Home Wiring Advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts