Can i still record on TV 2 and watch on TV 1 if I have a Tivo connected to TV 1?

Zach, most likely only one tv is on at a time. Right now I have turned the Power thing off. I think it is in Dual mode. If I want to record something on TV1 but watch another channel on TV1, can I do that? I get that TV2 is a "dumb" tv.

I'm getting confused with other people chiming in.

Zach, most likely only one tv is on at a time. Right now I have turned the Power thing off. I think it is in Dual mode. If I want to record something on TV1 but watch another channel on TV1, can I do that? I get that TV2 is a "dumb" tv.

I'm getting confused with other people chiming in.

I am not Zack but if you put your 722 in Single Mode, and are recording one event/timer then you can watch TV while the program is recording. If you are recording two things at once your only options are to watch one of the shows you are recording or watch another recorded event until the completion of one of the recordings.

ohioankev So if I'm in single mode, I can watch one channel while another is recording? I get that if I'm recording 2 things at the same time I have to watch one.

So I want to be in single mode and turn off power setting. Then on TV 1 I can watch one channel and record on another and if I want to record something on TV 2, I just have to go to TV 2 to set up the recording?

So I have to set up Timers from the TV I want it to record on correct? And then I can watch it all on TV 1?

ohioankev So if I'm in single mode, I can watch one channel while another is recording? I get that if I'm recording 2 things at the same time I have to watch one.

So I want to be in single mode and turn off power setting. Then on TV 1 I can watch one channel and record on another and if I want to record something on TV 2, I just have to go to TV 2 to set up the recording?

So I have to set up Timers from the TV I want it to record on correct? And then I can watch it all on TV 1?

Both TVs will show the same image in solo mode. You will be able to watch something and record something else. You would not have to set it up from the TV you want it to record to if you are solo mode. This sounds like it would be the best setup for you since both TVs would not be in use at the same time.

Zach I believe you are wrong.

This is what just happened. I put my TV in single mode and had previously set the Record Plus to TV1. I canceled a program that was set to record on TV2. I reentered the timer and it put it back on TV 2.

I cancelled it. Checked and it had Record plus set to TV2. I set a timer for a show that I am going to watch on TV2 so it would record there, and then redid the Timer for the other show and now the show went to TV one.

When you put it in single mode, it automatically reverts to TV 2 that is not going to work. Unless I misunderstood what Zach told me.

How do I get shows to record where I want them without jumping through hoops?

Zach not to add confusion but could PIP help? Big Button remote is IR only and TV2 is UHF only isn't it?

My TiVo remote has number keys that are the same size as my DISH remotes (21.0 &6.3) even the guide keys are the same size.

And I just tried to schedule another timer at 9 PM. There is one show set to record at 9 on tv 1 so it should have set it up for tv2 and it said there was a conflict. So WTH?

Solo mode does not record things TV2 but rather Tuner2. In solo mode both TVs will show the same image. You will be able to change the channel even though the guide will show the blue 2 indicating TV2 (tuner2 in solo mode) is scheduled to record. This is going to be the best solution for your setup.

Record Plus will be disable if you place the receiver in Solo Mode because the recording will default to tuner2 since it is not in use.

I'm still confused I think. So when it says it's recording on 2 in solo mode, that means tuner 2 and not TV2? Maybe I'm not understanding terminology.

I did just look and it is not recording 2 shows at the same time. I've tried to set it up and it will not do it. This defeats the purpose of having this. I could have kept TWC and my Tivo.

I'm still confused I think. So when it says it's recording on 2 in solo mode, that means tuner 2 and not TV2? Maybe I'm not understanding terminology.

Correct.

I did just look and it is not recording 2 shows at the same time. I've tried to set it up and it will not do it. This defeats the purpose of having this. I could have kept TWC and my Tivo.

What happened when you tried to record two shows at the same time? You should have seen one program on both TVs if you were in solo mode and the other should be listed in your DVR menu. I used to do this all the time when I had my 722.

Keep in mind you can watch two separate things, record one thing and watch something else or record two things since the 722 only have two tuners.

I need a break. My brain can't absorb anymore. I'll experiment tomorrow with a few things and let you know what happens. FyI I was given no information about what I was getting, how it works, no explanation except how to use the remote to record. The tech couldn't get out of here fast enough.

Thanks for the patience.

Zach - Can DISH maybe send someone out to help in this case? I feel like a forum setting in this case may hinder more than help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
100% agreed, though I have doubts there will ever be an outcome to her satisfaction.

I know the Hopper is not for everyone but in her case it may really help. Just think, if she had a Hopper and Super Joey she would have 5 tuners for viewing and recording. She would be able to go to either TV and always be able to watch live TV while recording up to 4 other shows.

She could even be satisfied with a Hopper and regular Joey since she never has 2 TVs being watched at the same time. She could watch live TV on either TV whil being able to record 2 other shows. I would be concerned with being able to read the menu and guide though since it seems a lot of people have issues with it. Also, it is more expensive.

Deadlocked and Zach, that would be great if someone could come and get this set. I'm just not confident, given my previous experiences, that I'll get any help if I call customer service.

I'm going to experiment later and report back. I do remember the first night, and I think it was in Single mode, I was watching on TV2. I saw a countdown on the screen and didn't know what it was. Then my program changed and it started to record something I hadn't even set to record.

@Zach, please let me know if we can make that happen. Thanks

Deadlocked and Zach, that would be great if someone could come and get this set. I'm just not confident, given my previous experiences, that I'll get any help if I call customer service.

I'm going to experiment later and report back. I do remember the first night, and I think it was in Single mode, I was watching on TV2. I saw a countdown on the screen and didn't know what it was. Then my program changed and it started to record something I hadn't even set to record.

@Zach, please let me know if we can make that happen. Thanks

Please send me a PM your account information to get this setup.

Sounds like you are still confused about the terms TV1 and TV2. Not suprising as they are confusing when the use the same name for 2 totally different things. One is the tuner and the other is the output. The two have nothing to do with each other. The default for recording is TV(tuner 2) for recording and it will be in HD when you want to record a 2nd program at the same time, that will then record on TV(tuner) also in HD1. When you go to play back, you will see the recordings from both tuners and you can watch all of them. TV Output 1 is HD and 2 is SD.
Hope this helps. You can also program the small red button to turn the tv on/off

Yes I am completely confused and though I appreciate you trying to help, this confused me even more LOL. Probably because it isn't dumbed down enough. I'm working with Zach who is sending a technician out. A 10 minute lesson on the remote buttons clearly isn't enough to understand how it all works with TV's, Tuners, and input. Thanks for trying.

Two HWS - Can I use Sling from either

New Home Wiring Advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)