Can I take advantage of DirecTV promotions if I used to subscribe?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
I had DirecTV a few years ago, and then cancelled my service. A few years later now, I was trying to sign up for their current promotion on directv.com, and it told me (after the credit check) that I have had DirecTV service in the past, and for me to call customer service to reactivate my service. The thing is, my dish has since been taken down, and I do not want to use the old crappy SD boxes that I had in the past. I want to take advantage of this new promotion. So can I, or am I stuck? Thanks guys.

The fact that they terminated your subscription and it showed up on your credit report I would suggest that you try DISH. I don't think you will be welcomed back with freebies.

boba said:
The fact that they terminated your subscription and it showed up on your credit report I would suggest that you try DISH. I don't think you will be welcomed back with freebies.
Can't get Dish, tried in the past. They're too low in the sky, and I don't feel like cutting down trees.

PaulieORF said:
Can't get Dish, tried in the past. They're too low in the sky, and I don't feel like cutting down trees.

If you can't get the DISH, because of the location, you may have the same problem with DirecTV, many of the satellites for each are parked at the same location. 110 and 119 degrees both have a D* & E* satellite.

lou_do said:
If you can't get the DISH, because of the location, you may have the same problem with DirecTV, many of the satellites for each are parked at the same location. 110 and 119 degrees both have a D* & E* satellite.
I have gotten DirecTV in the past, 119, 110, and 101 with no problem. I can get Dish during the Fall after the leaves fall off the trees, and winter into early spring, but as soon ast he leaves fill in, Dish signal drops and picture becomes unwatchable. In my area, Dish is at an elevation of 26 degrees, while DirecTV is at 34, a big enough difference to get over the trees.

I just had a thought: Would I be able to get a new customer promotion if someone else at my address signed up instead of myself?

PaulieORF said:
I just had a thought: Would I be able to get a new customer omotion if someone else at my address signed up instead of myself?

So as long as they have not had D* before, this should be ok.

damaged said:
So as long as they have not had D* before, this should be ok.
I just tried, no dice.

That seems awefully crummy to me, it must be based upon address, rather than the individual. What if I were to move? The people who move into my house couldn't get DirecTV? If that's the way it is supposed to work out, that's really messed up.

I never realized that even after you fulfil your agreement (and then some) that you cannot go back and get any new equipment. My old equipment was awful. Plus I would like to get their HDTV service (now that I have an HDTV) along with DVR. So do they think I will just want to reactivate my account, but purchase all new equipment for some astronomical price?

I guess I'm sticking with cable. I wanted to give you a shot, DirecTV.

You shouldn't have tried to sign back up through the website-you need to talk to a retention person. They usually have special offers for people who want to come back to D*-all you have to do is call and tell them you're thinking of coming back to D* from cable and want to know what kind of specials they have for a returning customer.

Newshawk said:
You shouldn't have tried to sign back up through the website-you need to talk to a retention person. They usually have special offers for people who want to come back to D*-all you have to do is call and tell them you're thinking of coming back to D* from cable and want to know what kind of specials they have for a returning customer.
Would the deal possibly offer a similar price on the HD DVR ($100 off) that new customers are getting? Also, does anyone know if DirecTV is offering an MPEG-4 HD DVR yet? Thanks.

damaged said:
Later this year, supposedly.
Okay thanks.

I ended up buying a 5 LNB dish and H20 receiver on eBay for $160. One of my old SD receivers is decent, so I'll probalby go to Best Buy and get 2 more for like $50 each, then when I have it all setup I'll reactivate my account. But here's my question: If I'm reactivating my account, I will still be on month-to-month, right? Thanks.

PaulieORF said:
Okay thanks.

I ended up buying a 5 LNB dish and H20 receiver on eBay for $160. One of my old SD receivers is decent, so I'll probalby go to Best Buy and get 2 more for like $50 each, then when I have it all setup I'll reactivate my account. But here's my question: If I'm reactivating my account, I will still be on month-to-month, right? Thanks.

I hate to be the bearer of this news, but new activation of all advanced equipment (HD stb, any DVR), bought or leased, carry a 2 year programming commitment. (1 year if you only activate standard (SD) receivers)

Last edited:
damaged said:
I hate to be the bearer of this news, but new activation of all advanced equipment (HD stb, any DVR), bought or leased, carry a 2 year programming commitment. (1 year if you only activate standard (SD) receivers)
That's alright.

I have heard that if I decided to cancel, it would be a $300 cancellation fee, is that accurate?

D* is saying that the HR20 (the MPEG-4 HD DVR) will be out by late summer. YMMV. As for the same discount on the HR10? That's why you need to talk to a real, live retention agent. It's called negotiation.

Newshawk said:
D* is saying that the HR20 (the MPEG-4 HD DVR) will be out by late summer. YMMV. As for the same discount on the HR10? That's why you need to talk to a real, live retention agent. It's called negotiation.
Well, I have two HDTVs, one which I watch a lot and one witch others watch who don't care as much about HD as I do. The one watch most will get the H20 for now, while the other HDTV will get an SD receiver. When the HR10 comes out, I will get that and use it on my main HDTV, and then use the H20 with the other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)