Can I take my receiver on vacation?

Mike515

Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Arlington, TX
I know this general subject has been discussed ad nauseum from just about every possible angle, but despite all my reading of the previous threads, I'm not clear on a few points. I have only one receiver (it's a 622), and it's connected to my phone line. Here are my questions:

(1) If I disconnect it and take it on vacation for a week or two in my travel trailer, is it a sure thing that DISH will catch me?
(2) If they do catch me, what happens? Do they just call me to ask what's going on, do they shut my service off, or what?
(3) Finally, I understand that there is a waiver form that I can file that can allow me to take a receiver along. Can I use such a waiver for my one and only receiver?

Thanks for any guidance.

Mike

Technically, you can no longer do this. Years ago, when I had a 301, I did this, using a tripod dish. Rules seem to have changed.

1) Not a sure thing, esp if it's a single tuner model, or if you have only one receiver (as in your case).
2) They could brick your receiver.
3) No such waiver. They do have RV accounts/trucking accounts, but that's not meant for vacations.

Don't plug it in to any phone line or ethernet while you're gone. Don't call Dish and ask permission.

I know this general subject has been discussed ad nauseum from just about every possible angle, but despite all my reading of the previous threads, I'm not clear on a few points. I have only one receiver (it's a 622), and it's connected to my phone line. Here are my questions:

(1) If I disconnect it and take it on vacation for a week or two in my travel trailer, is it a sure thing that DISH will catch me?
(2) If they do catch me, what happens? Do they just call me to ask what's going on, do they shut my service off, or what?
(3) Finally, I understand that there is a waiver form that I can file that can allow me to take a receiver along. Can I use such a waiver for my one and only receiver?

Thanks for any guidance.

Mike
Do not call Dish about this.
Just take the thing and go.
It's your receiver. I have never heard of anyone getting a hard time about taking their sat equipment on vacation.
Heck, I attend the NASCAR races here. People come with RV's and stay a week or more. 75% of them have sat dishes on tripods..
Got a friend who works at an RV park in Upstate NY. Campers with motor coaches always request sites with the least amount of tree cover so they can use their sat systems.
Look, it's not as though you are cheating anyone or committing some transgression of the rules.
Pack your stuff, go and enjoy!!!!

I take my receivers tailgating every weekend in the fall. Never had an issue and the minute I did is the minute I call D* and change providors. ;) Seriously, don't worry about it. But I agree, make sure you don't plug into any phone or internet connections along the way.

You may get a message when you fire your system up while on vacation that says something like "plug you phone line in" or no phone line detected, whatever.

Just ignore it.

If anything goes haywire, when you get home you can say you were on vacation (you were) and your phone service was out but now it's fixed and back up.

Your receiver only phones home about once a month anyway IIRC.

You should have no problems and enjoy your vacation!

we've taken our 311 from my dad's house to the cabin for 10 years now...no issues

Just bring it back when you're done.

Dont phone line it and dont call Dish. If you travel outside of the local area you'll lose the locals you have

As far as the ethernet/internet connection, my 622 talks with "echo.dishaccess.tv" about once a minute. I haven't bothered to trace the sessions to see what they're chatting about. If Dish is checking IP addresses, they'll notice right away that yours is changed. Who knows if they verify that it's a location change, versus just a DHCP address renew.

which is why you don't plug it in to the internet/phone if you are not at home (ie at the vacation home)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)