Can I use a DirecTV HD receiver with a one meter dish?

norman pool

Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
key largo
I have a DirecTV SD installation and use a one meter dish as we are in a fringe area. In the summer one receiver failed and AT&T sent an HD receiver as a replacement. I installed the new HD receiver, got a signal, phoned in for activation. Eventually the third chat agent got the guide up but only the HD channels were highlighted. It was then that I was informed that DirecTV was phasing out SD channels. My questions are:
1) Are there settings on the HD receiver that I can reset and just receive SD channels. If yes, what do I do?
2) because we live on a fringe reception area, is there a way to continue using my one meter dish with new HD LNB and the new HD receiver. If yes how do you suggest I proceed. Thank you, Sorry to be so long.

what model recevier?
there should be a menu option to hide/show sd duplicates

then you can create a favorite for the sd channels

but its not really sd thats going away, its mpeg2 compression.
its all moving to mpeg4, and will require an mpeg4 compatible setup
usually this means an swm lnb/dish combo, and a view of more sats

what model recevier?
there should be a menu option to hide/show sd duplicates

then you can create a favorite for the sd channels

but its not really sd thats going away, its mpeg2 compression.
its all moving to mpeg4, and will require an mpeg4 compatible setup
usually this means an swm lnb/dish combo, and a view of more sats
The new receiver is a H24-100R

Sorry, this does not make sense. Whatever your current dish, if its a round dish it must be receiving signals from the satellite at 101. They are currently all SD signals, so you can't be receiving any HD signals.
When Directv discontinues MPEG2 SD, the 101 satellite will transmit a "popular selection of channels" in MPEG4. Those are Directv's words. Noone knows what channels that will be.
My guess is that you are not really in a fringe area but somewhere outside the continental USA. Directv does not have "fringe areas".