Can I use a hopper with an already existing dish system in another city?

bigeasy

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
United States
I am subletting a house in Atlanta for a few months and the person I am subletting from has Dish and a perfectly working 722 system that's included in the rent. But I have a bunch of premium channels and brought along my Hopper (from New Orleans) to use thinking it wouldn't be any big deal. I am a novice at this but suffice it to say it's not working anywhere close to well. I get some of my international channels as well as a few random HBO ones and PPV but pretty much nothing else. Error messages abound and if I put it on let's say ESPN, it looks for a signal and can't find one. I did 'diagnostics' and got a red "error" message that I should check my dish for obstructions. Given the fact that the 722 receiver works perfectly, I'm don't think this is the issue.

Any easy fix to this? Like I said, I'm a novice and was thinking this wouldn't be much more than plug and play. I knew I wouldn't get local channels (have a USB OTA tuner on order) but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Figuring this is a little more complicated than what I was expecting... :confused:

722 - Satellites 129, 110, 118 and 119 are under both Satellite Input 1 and 2. The switch is a DPP44 w/Separator

Hopper - 'Point Dish' has green dots next to tuner input 1 and satellite 118 and no dots next to any transponders.

Hopper - 'Run Diagnostics' I get green check marks next to satellites 129, 110, 118 and 119 on inputs 1 and 2. red x next to all satellites on input 3.

Well heck! It took a good 5 hours but it finally worked and I didn't do anything different. I guess the final question I have is that is there any way to get any of the ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX feeds without the OTA USB tuner? Doesn't matter if they are local or not - just wanted to watch football games mainly. Thanks for your help!

But I guess if I want to dvr local channel football AND stuff from my Hopper then the most elegant (and easiest thing) would be to get the OTA USB tuner, correct?

I have a cheap OTA antenna mounted in the attic about 35 miles N-NE of Atlanta. I receive a total of about 35 OTA stations including the four networks. The only time I have to adjust the aim of the antenna is if I want to watch PBS (8.1 -8.4) I think you would be pleased. Put your address in TVFool and you will see the directions of the towers and distance from your location.

The node triple bandstacks the signal. So without a node you can still get signal on tuners 1/2 but tuner 3 will not have signal, just like he is seeing. Along with the bandstacking of the signal it is also the junction point for the Joey to communicate with the Hopper.

I guess you can call it frequency conversion or whatever you would like. The LNB or switches do not provide the proper DPP band translated feeds needed to supply a solo or duo node so the node passes triple stacked feeds to the Hopper.

Nope, I've heard "triple-bandstack" before. All 3 tuners share the same cable, each tuner using a different bandwidth frequency range (something like 950-1450, 1650-2150, 2350-2850)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)