Can I use a NAS for EHD on HWS or Hopper 3?

EddieViscosity

Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Virginia
To prepare for upgrading to Hopper 3, I'm going to need to add the external hard drive to copy my recordings. If I'm going to have to buy a drive, I'd prefer to go with a networked drive for raid mirroring and partition for the Hopper in addition to partitions for computer backups. Even if the old Hopper doesn't support networked drives, most NAS allow a USB connection too so I think it would work that way, but not sure if I can have different partitions on the NAS for the hopper and PCs. I've seen comments that the Hopper 3 might copy over ethernet, so wondering if this means support for networked drives.

I saw another post on raid mirroring, but I'm more interested in a QNAP or Synology NAS over the WD My Book Duo since I also run linux.

The Hopper will not recognize a network drive. The EHD that you use has to be a powered drive, and has to be USB connected. Also, the Dish receiver will format your EHD to be compatible with the Dish receiver.

EDIT: I just realized that you asked about the new Hopper 3. I don't know what the Hopper 3 will support.

Safe bet it will be pretty much the same.

I'd say the chances of using the same drive for Dish and for computer backup, even for Linux, are vanishingly small.

Thanks. I realize the hopper would reformat, but was wondering if the USB drive can have other partitions. So if there are already D: and E: drives, will it reformat the entire physical drive and wipe out the existing partitions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)