Can I use a network connection instead of a phone line?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TenaciousJoker

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
OK, here's the deal. I have never, ever had a phone line connected to my home. I have always used cell phones. The question I have is, since I have cable internet connected to a four port router, will the installer use the broadband connection instead of the phone line? Or do I absolutely, positively HAVE to have a phone line?

While you're supposed to have the phone line I've never seen someone report that they got a call from the D* audit police (like some E* subs have said they received). If you have a HR20/HR21 they've added code so that the box will use a network connection to report PPV or other purchases done via the remote so if you have those receivers you'll be OK. If not you can still do PPV's, just order them via the web site and there's no surcharge for doing it that way.

There are many people that have gone to only having cell phones. As far as I know, a network connection will not take the place of a phone line. You'll just have to leave it disconnected and order your ppv over the phone or internet.

Thanks for the info. One more question. Will I get hit with a surcharge for not having a phone line? I had to pay one with E*, until they got around to enabling the ethernet port, at which time they removed it. Just wondering if D* will do the same thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts