Can I use a Wireless Ethernet Bridge with the 722?

bwthomas831

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
I have the Dish Dual Receiver Vip 722. I also have a wireless network in my house but do not have the router next to the 722 to plug in a physical ethernet cable.

Can I plug in a Wireless Ethernet Bridge? I am on this web site: Wireless Ethernet Bridge

and it says:
A wireless Ethernet bridge converts a wired Ethernet device for use on a wireless computer network. Wireless Ethernet bridges and USB adapters are both sometimes called wireless media adapters as they enable devices for WiFi utilizing Ethernet or USB physical media. Wireless Ethernet bridges support game consoles, digital video recorders and other Ethernet-based consumer devices as well as ordinary computers.

Anybody have any history or experience in setting one of these up? Do they work? Will the 722 interact with it just like a wired ethernet connection?

Thanks Much,
Brent

Yes. I'm running my Xbox 360 and 722 off a WRT-54G router flashed with dd-wrt, operating in wireless bridge mode. Works great.

I have the Dish Dual Receiver Vip 722. I also have a wireless network in my house but do not have the router next to the 722 to plug in a physical ethernet cable.

Can I plug in a Wireless Ethernet Bridge? I am on this web site: Wireless Ethernet Bridge

and it says:
A wireless Ethernet bridge converts a wired Ethernet device for use on a wireless computer network. Wireless Ethernet bridges and USB adapters are both sometimes called wireless media adapters as they enable devices for WiFi utilizing Ethernet or USB physical media. Wireless Ethernet bridges support game consoles, digital video recorders and other Ethernet-based consumer devices as well as ordinary computers.

Anybody have any history or experience in setting one of these up? Do they work? Will the 722 interact with it just like a wired ethernet connection?

Thanks Much,
Brent

I have the d-link wireless bridge and it works like a champ (D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point).

It connects my 722, xbox360, & sony blu-ray to my home network. It supports 4 devices total. The speeds are very good also...I use it in conjunction with the d-link router (D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router).

Hope this helps...

Dave

Just pick up a Homeplug adapter. I got a Netgear one from Amazon for something like $40. You only need ONE because the VIP receivers have Homeplug built in. You run an ethernet cable from your router to the Homeplug, plug it directly into the nearest outlet and you're done.

Ed

GO WINGS!:up

Wow, you guys are incredible!!

I was just at Best Buy asking about this. I wasn't sure what it was called but my intention was to get a BD Live player to connect wirelessly to my home network, then I saw that you could now connect the 722 for remote programming. I was wondering what the device is called, now I know. Glad to see there are multipoint to point adapters so each Ethernet doesn't require it's individual adapater.

Been running the same setup with a Linksys router for nearly a year now and have had no problems at all.
00.gif

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll be doing a similar setup soon, and was wondering if anyone had any problems. Thanks for the heads up.

I have the d-link wireless bridge and it works like a champ (D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point).

It connects my 722, xbox360, & sony blu-ray to my home network. It supports 4 devices total. The speeds are very good also...I use it in conjunction with the d-link router (D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router).

Hope this helps...

Dave

This is the same setup I have on my 622, and it works great. However, when I tried to hook up my 722 (via a 40' ethernet cable) to the bridge, it would connect, but not stay connected, for some reason. So, long story short, the 722 is on a HomePlug adaptor now, and it works fine, also.

Brad

Not to hijack tthe thread, but can you use a hub with a wireless access point to give you multiple ports? I currently only have 1 port with my device.

Yes, but the hub/ap/switch/router (whatever we're calling it here) needs to be able to be put into bridge mode. Some routers can do it by default, others can be flashed with an open source firmware (i.e. dd-wrt) that can do it. I have Buffalo and Asus routers flashed with dd-wrt for this purpose.

So what is the price range on this multiple port Wireless bridges and where to go to purchase?

Buffalo 4-port (~$65):
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-WHR-HP-G54-Wireless-G-Performance/dp/B000AOKTJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242227101&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Buffalo Technology WHR-HP-G54 Wireless-G MIMO Performance Router and Access Point: Electronics[/ame]

D-Link 4-port (~$95)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP1522-GigaBit-Selectable-Wireless/dp/B001769K3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242227257&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: D-Link DAP1522 Xtreme 4-Port GigaBit Selectable Dual Band Draft 802.11n N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point: Electronics[/ame]

Shop around and you may find them cheaper. Looks like the Buffalo is the better deal though.

Thanks to all who Replied

Big Thank You to all who replied to this thread...and SO FAST!! You people are the Best!
I am also very glad that others were able to get some of their questions answered as a result of this thread too.
Keep up the good work.

Just pick up a Homeplug adapter. I got a Netgear one from Amazon for something like $40. You only need ONE because the VIP receivers have Homeplug built in. You run an ethernet cable from your router to the Homeplug, plug it directly into the nearest outlet and you're done...

I'm ignorant about stuff like this, so please humor me.

I currently have
  • RJ11 going from my wall outlet to my DSL Modem (Embarq 660 Series)
  • Cat5 from the DSL modem to my wireless router (NETGEAR-RangeMax WPN824 -802.11g w. MIMO)
  • Cat5 from my wireless router to my desktop PC's NIC (Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC)

From that my 2 laptops are networked wirelessly (one with built-in WiFi Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG & the other with Wireless PC Card: NETGEAR RangeMax WPN511)

My XBox 360 also connects wirelessly via the XBox Wireless Networking Adapter.

My PS3 also connects via WiFi.

Given this, I assume rather standard setup, all I have to do is take Cat5 from my wireless router and plug it into the HomePlug adapter which can be plugged into a nearby (nearby the router, I assume) standard 110 wall outlet, and I'm all set?

Could it really be that simple?

Does the fact that I use UPS's on both the ViP622 & ViP722 affect this at all?

Also, using the word HomePlug sounded like it was a brand-name, but from what I can tell homeplug is just a wall plugged ethernet bridge. Am I correct, or is there a specific "HomePlug" I should be using? If the former is correct, is this acceptable?: NETGEAR - Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridge - XE102

Is there an advantage of using the wireless bridge like the D-Link DAP-1522 as opposed to the HomePlug setup?

I'm really asking this thinking about the 922. If I go the HomePlug route now, will I just be wishing I'd used the bridge later when I get a 922? Is the bandwidth with the HomePlug 1.0 adequate for things such as that (like slinging video)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts