Can I use Sony DVR with DirecTV HD Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yellowstar6

Original poster
May 20, 2009
CA
I have a Sony DVR (RDR-HX900) hooked up to my DirecTV satellite receiver. My DVR has Component and S-video capability and I can currently record programs.

But, if I upgrade to HD DirecTV, is there anyway I could continue to record shows with my Sony DVR in HD or Standard Definition?

Directv HD receivers have component, S-video and composite outputs, so you should be in good shape. You will probably get better picture quality with a Directv HD DVR, however.

You wont get HD quality since there arent any HD inputs. The picture quality might look better than SD with HD as a source on the high quality setting of your DVR.

How does the DVR get its program guide data? I thought that directv wasnt providing the feed that the older tv guide based dvr's required to operate properly.

I agree with Bob, might be a good time to go to an HD receiver/DVR. That dvr must be approaching 4-5 years old, which is about the time I'd expect the hard drive to be giving out.

For those that need to know, the RDR-HX900 is a DVD recorder with a hard drive. And as such can't control any DirecTV receiver and therefore any recordings to it will need to be manual.

I would get a new DirecTV HD DVR and then use the DVD recorder to archive anything you want to keep, in SD of course.

I thought it had an IR emitter to control cable and satellite boxes. But if it doesnt have the current guide data it couldnt do that.

Sounds like its working with his current SD receiver, he just wants to know if it'll work with an HD one.

I thought I saw something about these a few months ago where someone was saying that it stopped getting the guide data from directv and directv said they no longer supported sending it. Might be that his old SD receiver is getting it somehow, but a newer model might not work.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! To answer the question about "program guide data".

JD Spencer is right, I do it manually. I change the channel on the DirecTV receiver that I want, then hit the record button on the DVD recorder, or set timer.

With current set up I can edit programs and burn to disc. Hate to lose that ability if I upgrade to HD.

Only thing that might throw a monkey wrench at you is if the HD receiver sends something like macrovision to your recorder and the recorder respects it. I've heard of some people having trouble with some model dvd recorders copying material from directv HD receivers.

I have some weird off brand dvd recorder and it works fine.

You also might get the best of both worlds. Get an HD dvr and watch the shows in HD, then hook up your dvr/dvd recorder to one of the outputs. Hit 'play' on a recorded show on the directv box at the same time as you hit record on your sony dvr. Then (providing it isnt blocked by some copy protection scheme) have a copy on the sony box that you could edit and archive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts