Can I use the 922 for a few days until my internet is installed?

cypherstream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Hey guys,

Just moving, and I know the 922 needs a broadband internet connection for any advanced functionality. I have dish scheduled for install tomorrow (hopefully they can get a signal through the trees). I want the 922 for sure. The issue is that the local cable company is a smaller one (Service Electric Cablevision), and there next available appointment to connect the Internet and Phone isn't until next tuesday.

The problem is that the wife doesn't want to go without TV this weekend (or Monday). I know we are officially moving in Saturday, but even with all the unpacking, she wants to have TV available not only for background noise, but to get her recordings awhile. This is why I scheduled the Dish install before the Internet install. Unfortinatly I tried to budge the cable companies timeframe, but they said that next tuesday was the absolute earliest they could do.

So my question is, will the 922 work - at least just to watch TV and set recordings Thursday through Tuesday - and then on Tuesday sometime when I get the internet, of course I will connect it up (home is hardwired with RG-6QS and Cat5e in every room).

I noted on my install schedule that I realize the 922 requires a broadband internet connection for advanced functionality, and that WILL be installed on Tuesday. I already received my modem in the mail (Motorola Surfboard 6120).

The only other option I could think of, is I have a jailbroken iPhone4 with MyWi. I could create a mobile hotspot and see if my Linksys router with DD-WRT firmware can act as a client and joint it.

The 922 will work for satellite tv if it's installed and up and running. The broadband part won't work anyway for at least a day after you install it. So if you don't care about the sling part , you can make it with just the sat part.

Ok thanks. I was hoping that was the case. We will have the internet installed like I said, but were at the mercy of the local cable co's schedule.

Now I just hope they can get a signal on the property. That's my biggest concern!

No dish for me. Tree 2 degrees into the view of 61.5. Tech was real nice and we really spent time looking for a spot. No escaping this tree. DirecTV sats look clear from the iPhone app though. As far as the 922 internet requirement, he said it was OK, as long as I was getting the internet soon. I said Tuesday and he was fine with it. He was excited to install the 922 because it was his first one. We were both bummed out with the LOS issue.